IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Possible Florida Freeze - December

IHB1979

Doesn't matter where you are, everywhere south of San Antonio/Houston (incl. N. Mexico) is reading 38-41F at noon. Currently 39F on South Padre...forecast low of 42F tonight  ( think it will end up closer to Brownsville's forecast of 37F). Hope the coconuts will be alright 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

The NAO and AO are in screaming positive territory and the PNA is tanking.  It's going to be warm for awhile around here. 

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

and yet no rain still. I have measured barely 1/4" total in 11 weeks and the forecast looks grim.....and the highs in the middle 80'sF are not helping! :wub:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

7 minutes ago, gsytch said:

and yet no rain still. I have measured barely 1/4" total in 11 weeks and the forecast looks grim.....and the highs in the middle 80'sF are not helping! :wub:

I think you're still fine:

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 5.56.30 PM.png

It was 88F here by my thermometer, and it is still 72F at 22:50.  In Crestview, FL (usually our coldest city), it is showing 42F.  Not complaining, but unusual.  Wouldn't mind more rain out of this.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

My lowest temperature this winter so far was 56 degrees. Current 10 day forecast shows us getting through 2016 without it dropping below 64 degrees. I hope January is at least moderate but no way this hot winter lasts. 

• Upvote 1

The longer the hot weather lasts, the more damage the first "real" front will do.  There's nothing like going from 60F mornings to 35F in 1 day.  Tropical plants love that :(

• Upvote 2

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

My lowest so far was 48F.  From the weather forecasts, this front doesn't appear to be much of an event for Central Florida.  Lowest temperature I see in the 5 day for us is 53F.

Sometimes these fronts are a blessing.  I went to Kopsick today, and it was nice to have a day that was 75F with relatively low humidity.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

My lowest so far was 48F.  From the weather forecasts, this front doesn't appear to be much of an event for Central Florida.  Lowest temperature I see in the 5 day for us is 53F.

Sometimes these fronts are a blessing.  I went to Kopsick today, and it was nice to have a day that was 75F with relatively low humidity.

Still very warm in SW Florida, it hit 88 degrees today with a dew point of 70, so still muggy out there.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

This is a classic Stalled , wavering front , for sure .

Stayed approx  62 deg  +/-  all day here in Daytona , while not far to the south temps were progressively higher.

Coolish North wind , and occasional drizzle here too.  Grey day .

I see a push of colder air coming down around New Year's...is it going to push through or stall? A very pleasant 55F right now at 630am. Yes, worry about how warm it has been when the cold does arrive!:-0))

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

11 hours ago, gsytch said:

I see a push of colder air coming down around New Year's...is it going to push through or stall? A very pleasant 55F right now at 630am. Yes, worry about how warm it has been when the cold does arrive!:-0))

Last year we had a big cool off from New Years.  Looking here like Dec. 30th will be a little cooler, highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s.  Until then, 80s but no rain.  At least with it being warm, the coconut palm is pushing out another frond.

Lakeland, FL

I've had blooms on my pink tabebuia tree for more than a week now. This is a first for this tree. The tree must have been tricked by unseasonably higher temperatures, and not duration of sun, since the days only now will begin to get more minutes of sunshine duration.

Mad about palms

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict no freeze for my part of FL this Dec :-) ( Don't ask me how I know ;-) )

12 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict no freeze for my part of FL this Dec :-) ( Don't ask me how I know ;-) )

I'll go further out on that limb and say this entire winter will never dip below 30 and maybe not below freezer freezing at all.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

5 minutes ago, _Keith said:

I'll go further out on that limb and say this entire winter will never dip below 30 and maybe not below freezer freezing at all.

That would be very nice! Friday night they are forecasting mid 40's here in SW Florida.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Today Sebring FAWN recorded 86.67 degrees at 2:45 p.m. -- after a high of 87:13 degrees Christmas day.  If a severe cold front came through now there would literally be hell to pay -- with regard to cold tender palms and tropicals.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

41f is predicted for Saturday morning. No freeze in December for me! One month down, two to go.

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎44‎:‎11‎, Xenon said:

Doesn't matter where you are, everywhere south of San Antonio/Houston (incl. N. Mexico) is reading 38-41F at noon. Currently 39F on South Padre...forecast low of 42F tonight  ( think it will end up closer to Brownsville's forecast of 37F). Hope the coconuts will be alright 

Jonathon,

Mine here in Corpus Christi made it through okay with varying cold injury (anywhere from about 5% or less to about 30%) on my 8 in ground coconut palms with a low of 34F, so I think the Rio Grande Valley coconut palms came through the cold just fine.

John

• Upvote 1

Looking like 38 on Friday Night/Sat Morning.  Looks like I need to cover my coconut palm.  Doh!

Lakeland, FL

GFS just ran, all of us in California have been stressed with this next big cold wave. Well, according to tonight, it wants to go eastward.

Good luck :) Florida looks ok though 

gfs_850_loop.gif

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎22‎:‎16‎, kinzyjr said:

Looking like 38 on Friday Night/Sat Morning.  Looks like I need to cover my coconut palm.  Doh!

I don't even think of protecting my little baby coconut palms for a low of only 38F.  I guess our South Texas coconut palms are just a little tougher though when it comes to the cold.

Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I don't even think of protecting my little baby coconut palms for a low of only 38F.  I guess our South Texas coconut palms are just a little tougher though when it comes to the cold.

Mine has seen 37F unprotected, so I don't necessarily worry about 38F.  I worry on the off chance that the forecast is off, and I lose my one plant that isn't hardy in my zone.  It's a Malay Dwarf, so if you have Panama Talls, they are probably a little more cold tolerant.  I had an Atlantic Tall for about a year, but it ended up taking a dive because I had to have some digging done too close to the root zone.  I'll get a new one come spring.

Here's the Malay Dwarf:

20161029_173353_MalyanDwarfCoconut.jpg

Lakeland, FL

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Mine has seen 37F unprotected, so I don't necessarily worry about 38F.  I worry on the off chance that the forecast is off, and I lose my one plant that isn't hardy in my zone.  It's a Malay Dwarf, so if you have Panama Talls, they are probably a little more cold tolerant.  I had an Atlantic Tall for about a year, but it ended up taking a dive because I had to have some digging done too close to the root zone.  I'll get a new one come spring.

Here's the Malay Dwarf:

That's a nice looking Green Malayan.  I planted a Jamaican Tall about 3.5ft.tall, a Yellow Malayan about 2.5ft. tall, and a Maypan about 3.5ft. tall back in mid Jan.  I normally would NEVER plant such cold sensitive tropicals in Jan., but we had such a very mild winter last winter, I couldn't wait till March or even Feb. to plant them.  We got hit with our one and only frost about 10 days later with a low of 33.6F in my yard.  My newly planted coconut palms were unprotected that night, but only got the slightest spotting afterwards on the tips of their leaves.  I did end up losing my Jamaican Tall though about a month later because I found out after the fact that they don't like their roots disturbed when they are young.  Had I known that, I would have waited about another year or more to plant it.  Anyway, healthy coconut palms, even young ones can take a little more cold than they are given credit for, as many of our South Texas coconuts are witness to.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

That's a nice looking Green Malayan.  I planted a Jamaican Tall about 3.5ft.tall, a Yellow Malayan about 2.5ft. tall, and a Maypan about 3.5ft. tall back in mid Jan.  I normally would NEVER plant such cold sensitive tropicals in Jan., but we had such a very mild winter last winter, I couldn't wait till March or even Feb. to plant them.  We got hit with our one and only frost about 10 days later with a low of 33.6F in my yard.  My newly planted coconut palms were unprotected that night, but only got the slightest spotting afterwards on the tips of their leaves.  I did end up losing my Jamaican Tall though about a month later because I found out after the fact that they don't like their roots disturbed when they are young.  Had I known that, I would have waited about another year or more to plant it.  Anyway, healthy coconut palms, even young ones can take a little more cold than they are given credit for, as many of our South Texas coconuts are witness to.

I'm overprotective of them for sure.  Their location is/was already pretty favorable.

This was my Tall: (RIP 12/18/2016)

20160507_145046.jpg

Lakeland, FL

17 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I'm overprotective of them for sure.  Their location is/was already pretty favorable.

This was my Tall: (RIP 12/18/2016)

20160507_145046.jpg

Nice looking one.  It's a shame they can't take their roots being messed with when they are young.

14 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Here's the Malay Dwarf:

Where do you plan on getting an Atlantic Tall? 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

@RedRabbit

There is a guy who sold me my now deceased one at the USF Spring Plant Sale.  I'll buy from him again.  I wish I could tell you the exact name of the vendor, but it is escaping me right now.  The guy grows his crop in SW Florida.  I also got my Bismarckia Nobilis off of him.

The plant sale is usually the first or second weekend in April.  I checked the USF Botanical Gardens website, but they haven't set a date yet.  When it is announced, it will be posted here: http://gardens.usf.edu/

Lakeland, FL

COLD FRONT! Yesterday afternoon - sunny 78F dewpoint 65F light breezes. 9am this morning 51F dewpoint 20F winds gusty 20mph NW, and it was 52F at 8am. Typical Florida fashion high expected to 80F by Sunday afternoon. I aniticipate freeze warnings tonight to extend to inland Citrus, perhaps Hernando if the winds die down..Ocala is already expecting 32F.:o

6 hours ago, gsytch said:

COLD FRONT! Yesterday afternoon - sunny 78F dewpoint 65F light breezes. 9am this morning 51F dewpoint 20F winds gusty 20mph NW, and it was 52F at 8am. Typical Florida fashion high expected to 80F by Sunday afternoon. I aniticipate freeze warnings tonight to extend to inland Citrus, perhaps Hernando if the winds die down..Ocala is already expecting 32F.:o

I'm curious, do you know what can cause it to be colder in Ocala than Montgomery? We were at about 38F last night and supposed to be 36F tonight. I see on our forecast that it's going to turn cloudy late tonight so I'm guessing that plays a role.

It was a brisk 46F this AM, and we were one of the cold spots.  Unusual for us to be lower than the more rural towns.  Still calling for high 30's tonight here, and low or mid-40's along the coast.

Lakeland, FL

54.1F this morning. Forecast: 57F

Tonight's forecast: 45F. Hope the trend ends now.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Today's high in Lake Placid was 67 degrees. 20 degrees cooler than the day before yesterday. This December was warmer than any other since I moved here in 1997.  Many pink Tabebuia trees are in full bloom. I've never seen any species of tabebuia bloom in December. I took the below pic today on my way home from town. This tree is actually past it's peak. It had many more blooms several days ago. You can see many fallen blooms lying on ground.

I suspect some radiational cooling tonight with temperatures down in the low 40s.

Pink%20tabebuia%2012-30-16_zpszuykf3c0.j

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms