• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca Triandra in So Cal

Brett in Mission Viejo

This is a spin-off thread from Matt's Areca Catechu thread. Who is growing Areca Trianda in So Cal or elsewhere? Observations? Pictures?

Here is my fifteen year old outdoor shade grown plant planted in lava rock in a fifteen gallon pot:

Triandra.thumb.jpg.4e0f154be38292a810f65

I lost one of the trunks after the 2007 freeze, but it has been doing fine, albeit slow, since then. I may plant it in the future if I can find the right sweet spot.

• Upvote 5

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

your more than welcome to plant it at the "Vista garden" wink wink:yay:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Looks really good. Better than any others I have seen in SoCal.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Brett, here's a picture I posted some time back. I've grown this from a teeny seedling I got maybe 6-7 years ago. Despite my best effort to kill it, it refused to give in & I finally ground planted it 3 years ago. It's on the north side of the house & gets no direct sun at all, but plenty of bright light year around. The leaves are killer on this species. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Adam (Akamu) in Normal Heights (Central San Diego) about 2 miles North of me has a good sized one.  Maybe 7' tall, with a bunch of trunks.  It gets almost no sun in winter, and is planted right up against the North side of his house.  I believe that he has free draining soil.  Maybe he'll weigh in.

Interesting to know...mine is also sitting on the north side of my two story house a few feet from my house under a patio cover with heavy canopy overhead and also never gets any winter sun but gets highly filtered summer sun....maybe a common theme for success?

Mission Viejo, CA

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

10 minutes ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Interesting to know...mine is also sitting on the north side of my two story house a few feet from my house under a patio cover with heavy canopy overhead and also never gets any winter sun but gets highly filtered summer sun....maybe a common theme for success?

Perhaps.  It's been there for a minute, and is very healthy.  I'm not sure if it's filtered sun, as much as limited periods of sun, between two structures.

Could be. That particular side of the house has the best microclimate, staying 4-5 degrees above the more exposed areas of the yard. My place gets colder than most areas in coastal San Diego, & this palm seems unfazed by the cool weather. 

Bret

15 hours ago, Josh-O said:

your more than welcome to plant it at the "Vista garden" wink wink:yay:

Good one Josh!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

This is a spin-off thread from Matt's Areca Catechu thread. Who is growing Areca Trianda in So Cal or elsewhere? Observations? Pictures?

Here is my fifteen year old outdoor shade grown plant planted in lava rock in a fifteen gallon pot:

Triandra.thumb.jpg.4e0f154be38292a810f65

I lost one of the trunks after the 2007 freeze, but it has been doing fine, albeit slow, since then. I may plant it in the future if I can find the right sweet spot.

Not sure I recall seeing this at your house Brett.......you must have been hiding it from me!

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

Yep, still chugging along. I’ll snap a pic of it tomorrow.

Bret

Here's a picture this evening. For some reason, it's growth this season was sluggish (for lack of a better word). Certainly wasn't for lack of heat. It gets watered and fertilized regularly; not sure what it's issue is. Sometimes there are just "off" years, so who knows. But it's alive and growing..

IMG_1312.JPG

• Like 1

Bret

Hi there,

because of the term "...or elsewhere?" I allow myself to chime in.

001-atr.thumb.jpg.439bb65a52666d83cc23a55c7da0315d.jpg

Purchased probably six years ago as a one leaf seedling, just labeled as Areca. It grows in deep shade and wind protected.

It's taking its time but that's fine.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On October 5, 2020 at 7:42 PM, TomJ said:

BUMP   Any of these still alive??

Unfortunately, while I was on a business trip my wife ordered a couch and they delivered it through the back patio and accidentally broke both growing stems of the palm in half, so I lost one of my favorite palms (grown for 15 years) in a split second. I am looking to replace it if I can find a nice one in So Cal.

Mission Viejo, CA

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

27 minutes ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Unfortunately, while I was on a business trip my wife ordered a couch and they delivered it through the back patio and accidentally broke both growing stems of the palm in half, so I lost one of my favorite palms (grown for 15 years) in a split second. I am looking to replace it if I can find a nice one in So Cal.

Man Brett, what a bummer!  Sounds like your wife owes you one.  Hope you can find another - yours was looking good!  I guess you never found a good spot to plant it and it was still in a container?

Jon Sunder