IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga Coronata wilting and drying up

Stethoscope

Hi everyone, I bought a 7' tall Pinanga Coronata and since it has arrived (approximately 7 weeks ago) it has been slowly wilting away with picture evidence below. I have tried to increase its watering but am hesitant to do so now as the soil is certainly NOT dry and the leaves are slowly turning dark and wilting and drying up completely before falling off. It's in a 5 gallon pot with drainage holes and apart from the original dirt it came in, I mixed it with very well draining loose soil with plenty of perlite. There are a few red spider mites on some leaves but nothing overwhelming. A picture below shows a healthy stem and another that is slowly dying. 

Suggestions?

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

18 minutes ago, Pando said:

Lack of light and humidity?

As far as I've read...the species can tolerate low light conditions. It is currently receiving only filtered light. Humidity is maintained at 60% during the night and usually 50% during the day. Does this look like a classic infection or possibly a mineral deficiency perhaps? 

That very same thing has happened to every one I've ever bought both small ones and ones your size.

What is odd, is that they are sold by hobbyists and nurseries in San Diego where it's far from humid.

What is your soil composition? I see perlite, but what is the other component. If you used peat, I think it is a mistake. That keeps the soil soggy arround the roots. Like "Pal Meir" said.

When I got my last two they were from Floribunda.  HUGE 1 gallon palms that came with most of the soil(lava rock) they had been grown in. So 90% of that media stayed with the palms when placed in pots. Now, I've discovered that while the black lava pebbles are super fast draining, it seems to retain ALOT of the moisture so in my case, it might have been a case of over watering even with fast draining soil. Both of mine were indoors, and the one that received just a few minutes of direct sun through a window dried up the fastest while the other hung on for a couple more weeks that only received bright light, and never direct sun.

I might try again in the spring when it's warm enough to have more shipped to my climate and this time will put in even faster draining media that doesn't retain as much moisture.

I love the Pinanga species in general and have not had the best of luck with the species as a whole except for 1 Thai Mottled that has been a vigorous grower for me so far.

Edited by sashaeffer
add text

1 hour ago, sashaeffer said:

When I got my last two they were from Floribunda.  HUGE 1 gallon palms that came with most of the soil(lava rock) they had been grown in. So 90% of that media stayed with the palms when placed in pots. Now, I've discovered that while the black lava pebbles are super fast draining, it seems to retain ALOT of the moisture so in my case, it might have been a case of over watering even with fast draining soil. Both of mine were indoors, and the one that received just a few minutes of direct sun through a window dried up the fastest while the other hung on for a couple more weeks that only received bright light, and never direct sun.

I might try again in the spring when it's warm enough to have more shipped to my climate and this time will put in even faster draining media that doesn't retain as much moisture.

I love the Pinanga species in general and have not had the best of luck with the species as a whole except for 1 Thai Mottled that has been a vigorous grower for me so far.

I guess the lava soil of Floribunda was (and is) an excellent choice. But I think you had to water the palms regularly, maybe more often, for they need O2 rich fresh water and not only (mouldy) moisture.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

11 hours ago, cristi said:

What is your soil composition? I see perlite, but what is the other component. If you used peat, I think it is a mistake. That keeps the soil soggy arround the roots. Like "Pal Meir" said.

Lots of perlite and lesser amount of organic potting soil mix. No peat moss. The pot it came in was only a little bit smaller than its current pot, I didn't really add much else to the original root ball but it may in fact be poor draining as my fingers are still wet at about 1.5-2 inches of depth from watering about 2 weeks ago. Would removing it and adding only perlite be beneficial? Is the transplant shock worth it? 

I've also have tried Pinanga Insignas several times with the same result..with the palm fronds turning brown, drying up and then palm dying.

This last batch of seedlings though I have in 100% perlite and water sparingly and so far has done ok. Not much in growth but I've had them for months now with no decline so that might be the key with this species.

I've found the Pinanga genus to be a tricky grow in even the best of circumstances. I've lost most of the species I've tried, sometimes years after I acquired them. I suspect even one deviation from ideal conditions may send them into a downward spiral. And I grow mine outdoors in humid tropics most of the year (in pots because they are too cold sensitive for in-ground planting here). They come indoors only when winter temps fall below 40F. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to keep one alive indoors over a northern winter. I have the following thoughts: more heat, more light, more humidity. Your house in Toronto may seem like a cave to a tropical palm like a Pinanga; 50-60% humidity is not enough long term; if you keep your house at 68-72F or lower during the day, even less at night, it's too cold. Tropical palms want 80+F during the day.

Your potting medium may also be a factor but a minor one IMO. Even a perfect potting mix can't compensate for too little light, heat & humidity for your palm.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I've found the Pinanga genus to be a tricky grow in even the best of circumstances. I've lost most of the species I've tried, sometimes years after I acquired them. I suspect even one deviation from ideal conditions may send them into a downward spiral. And I grow mine outdoors in humid tropics most of the year (in pots because they are too cold sensitive for in-ground planting here). They come indoors only when winter temps fall below 40F. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to keep one alive indoors over a northern winter. I have the following thoughts: more heat, more light, more humidity. Your house in Toronto may seem like a cave to a tropical palm like a Pinanga; 50-60% humidity is not enough long term; if you keep your house at 68-72F or lower during the day, even less at night, it's too cold. Tropical palms want 80+F during the day.

Your potting medium may also be a factor but a minor one IMO. Even a perfect potting mix can't compensate for too little light, heat & humidity for your palm.

I will repot with a mix suggested by Pal and attempt to increase the trio of light, heat and humidity. I'll update you on my progress. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Keep trying

I've found them easy so far, but . . . . not because of any wizardry on my part!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I do have a "Thai Mottled" that has done great for me past couple of years and is a moderate grower. It's in a fine orchid mix in clay pot indoors in bright room and gets watered once a week.

These are tough palms here in Hawaii. No special potting mix needed, just good drainage. In my opinion, high humidity is the key of which we have an abundance, plus an amazing amount of moisture. In a pot outside, during a relatively dry period, they can take a lot of abuse almost drying out, but still powering on which is probably due to high humidity. (Which cannot be said for Geonoma, no neglect allowed for those)

In ground P. coronata, when selectively trimmed, are stunning palms.

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii