JubaeaMan138

Corona ca Coconut

NOT A TA

The black mold on the concrete driveway appears to me to indicate there has been a vehicle regularly parking next to the coco since @GottmitAlex was there around New Years.  It appears that it gets pulled up or backed up pretty close to the garage door and very close to the palm. Even if this is a neighbor utilizing an available space (likely overnight) at a vacant house it appears that it gets used routinely based on the mold growth pattern and would provide heat / block wind.

• Like 2

GottmitAlex

Good observation, @NOT A TA

Jim in Los Altos
6 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

The black mold on the concrete driveway appears to me to indicate there has been a vehicle regularly parking next to the coco since @GottmitAlex was there around New Years.  It appears that it gets pulled up or backed up pretty close to the garage door and very close to the palm. Even if this is a neighbor utilizing an available space (likely overnight) at a vacant house it appears that it gets used routinely based on the mold growth pattern and would provide heat / block wind.

Black mold in the extremely dry climate in Corona would be highly unlikely. The air is dry nearly all year with humidity often in the teens. Those marks are more likely residue from dripped motor oil. It’s hard to completely remove from porous concrete. 

• Like 3

Pando
On 7/20/2020 at 6:41 PM, NOT A TA said:

The black mold on the concrete driveway appears to me to indicate there has been a vehicle regularly parking next to the coco

Those are tire marks and oil drips. But yes, looks like that driveway has seen some traffic.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave
8 minutes ago, Pando said:

Those are tire marks and oil drips. But yes, looks like that driveway has seen some traffic.

OMG, good to see you!

• Like 1

ahosey01

Another thing which I have not seen mentioned in this thread, but which kind of compounds this mystery (at least in my mind) is that this area of SoCal can get downright chilly in the evenings during any month of the year.

Ill never forget the first time I visited the inland empire to see a friend who had moved to Murrieta in July of 2016. Living in Arizona and knowing that area was also hot and dry, I presumed their summer weather was similar to ours and so dressed accordingly.  She had a wonderful view of the Ortegas from her back porch, so in the morning I went out to drink my coffee out there dressed like it was Phoenix.  Sure enough, it was 54 degrees and I went right back inside to finish my cup! It hit 92 later that day.

Looking at weather records, it has been down to at least the low 40s in every month of the year in Corona, and I know records aside it is consistently in the low 60s or upper 50s overnight even during the summer.

In my mind, that makes this palm all the more mind boggling.

• Like 2

Chris Chance
4 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Another thing which I have not seen mentioned in this thread, but which kind of compounds this mystery (at least in my mind) is that this area of SoCal can get downright chilly in the evenings during any month of the year.

Ill never forget the first time I visited the inland empire to see a friend who had moved to Murrieta in July of 2016. Living in Arizona and knowing that area was also hot and dry, I presumed their summer weather was similar to ours and so dressed accordingly.  She had a wonderful view of the Ortegas from her back porch, so in the morning I went out to drink my coffee out there dressed like it was Phoenix.  Sure enough, it was 54 degrees and I went right back inside to finish my cup! It hit 92 later that day.

Looking at weather records, it has been down to at least the low 40s in every month of the year in Corona, and I know records aside it is consistently in the low 60s or upper 50s overnight even during the summer.

In my mind, that makes this palm all the more mind boggling.

I used to live in Murrieta for years and it definitely gets a bit colder than Corona. Another thing about Corona is they better air drainage on the hills. Murrieta is basically in a bowl so the cool calm nights typically are a little colder. Being more inland it does heat up during the day. Also even though it is a bit inland Murrieta is actually about 20 to 30 miles away from but the Ortegas actually block a lot of coastal influence. I really think that Corona is a little better area and I think this coconut is actually located in the perfect spot. Probably gets good air drainage at night and nice heat during the day.

• Like 2

Aleitalyyy
hi guys i follow you from italy and i was very curious this crown palm can be so strong and beautiful ... seeing the low night crown and the cold wave of 2019 it seems very strange that it is coconut then! could it not be another very similar variety eg beccario phoenix, dictyosperma album, or, I don't know other types? I don't understand how it can be so healthy with occasional temperatures of +1 degrees ...
now I have one in a pot in sea sand only but in winter I enter the house! in italy all attempts outside of winter coconut palms are dead. maybe in the greenhouse it resists but I have not heard or seen evidence ... but only in the pot for a few years until it lives .. I continue to follow you to see this palm if you find out more about it ... bye bye everyone