IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corona ca Coconut

JubaeaMan138

On 1/3/2020 at 8:26 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Nope. You got me. We went to Big Bear for new years. mein Frau asked to stop by a walmart on the way back (post-Christmas specials, I assume)  I immediately thought of Corona,CA. And it so happens there is a mega/Super Walmart in Corona (East Ontario Ave) so we took a slight detour. :D

Like the song says: "It's now or never.."

We could have hit the Walmart at the base of Big bear mountain (Redlands, CA) just after our descent.

But no. I wanted to see it first hand!

verstehen?comprende?

:yay:

YOU

ARE

UBER

NUTTY!

Love ya for it!

Those are some of the best pictures we've seen in a while. I need to get over there, maybe buy that house out of foreclosure . . . .

If you and ihre (?) Frau are in the 'hood, don't be afraid to gimme a bleep on the old cell and tour my asylum! Gimme a PM . . .

P.S.

La Habra has TWO Walmarts and a German delicatessen!

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Danke mein Freund. I promise,  we will go to your place.  

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Marvelous! The palm on the right side of the driveway is Ravenea rivularis.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Someone should ask the home owner to join PT.  They got something special and might not know it. Probably wondering why queen palms are so popular and not cocos. 

• Like 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 6:37 PM, GottmitAlex said:

I have been very interested in it as well. 

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/51903-corona-ca-coconut/&do=findComment&comment=917018

I guess I wanted to capture it red-handed.  Make sure it wasn't being babied throughout its winters.  Now I know it is growing by accidental circumstances. 

I guess someone hacks off the dead leaves now and then as if it were a washingtonia (leaving its leaf bases attached)...

20200102_130748.jpg

Imagine the owner of the house catching you taking a picture of his front yard.

Great shot of how it is being protected on all sides by the concrete, pavers and garage wall.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:16 AM, hbernstein said:

Perhaps for Californians, Washingtonias are the palm archetype? 

Yes, definitely. They always show Washingtonias in front of the Hollywood sign in pictures (They're everywhere around here. EVERYWHERE.). And also, to a lesser extent, Phoenix palms.

What variety do you figure this on is. I believe they got it as a seedling from the local home depot?

1 hour ago, coconuts_dont_growhere_but said:

What variety do you figure this on is. I believe they got it as a seedling from the local home depot?

No other way. Roots need to develop. Case in point: any transplant will eventually succumb(and die) in California.

Seedlings or bust. 

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

11 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

No other way. Roots need to develop. Case in point: any transplant will eventually succumb(and die) in California.

Seedlings or bust. 

So they need to develop their roots in the place they will be?

44 minutes ago, coconuts_dont_growhere_but said:

So they need to develop their roots in the place they will be?

Yup.  Even the San Diego Zoo had a coco which was transplanted. It died.

The trick is to plant, nurture and protect them when they are seedlings. 

JMHO.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

JMHO.

What is you plant it there as a seedling, but then you move it a few years later?

52 minutes ago, coconuts_dont_growhere_but said:

What is you plant it there as a seedling, but then you move it a few years later?

My suggestion would be to dig up more than the rootball.  

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

My suggestion would be to dig up more than the rootball.  

7 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

JMHO.

So the roots become acclimatized to the Californian climate, so they dont die compared to just transplanting them?

48 minutes ago, coconuts_dont_growhere_but said:

So the roots become acclimatized to the Californian climate, so they dont die compared to just transplanting them?

A 5 year old coconut planted from seed/seedling develops a better root system than say a 6 year old coco transplant (with a trunk) which has many of its roots shaved off (due to transplant). I know it doesn't make sense. But even some palmtalkers (in Commiefornia)  with firsthand experience cam attest to that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

JMHO.

I completely agree with Alex here, in marginal climates like ours I really believe this is important, not so important in a more suitable environment but certainly in a borderline climate I think it makes a big difference as to whether the palm survives or dies.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, coconuts_dont_growhere_but said:

I think what Alex may be stressing is that any stress on the root-mass sets the plant back in the precious "window" of warmth that the plant needs to grow. Roots can't really acclimate to a specific climate, but they do take time to recover from being severed. Coconuts are actually incredibly agile during transplant, as they are able to branch cut roots very quickly. This is why coconuts are field-dug in Florida and other tropical climates with small rootballs and moved with no problem whatsoever. BUT that is in a place that has a very, very long warm season with warm soil.

In California the climate and soil are much too cool to allow the palm to expedite a new set of roots and still put on the requisite growth during the short growing season and be able to survive the (in relative terms) long, chilly winter and cold soil, which is a breeding-ground for fungus and pathogens that can get the better of the plant in its weakened state, in a relatively hostile environment. Because of that, it is better to put the sprouted nut (or a small and well-grown containerized plant) into a carefully considered, favorable "suntrap" location with a porous, well-draining substrate and avoid disturbing it. My own opinion is that this is a good policy with all plants. I have always preferred to start with a one-, two- or three-gallon plant rather than larger "show specimens" that look great at first but that will be rather quickly overrun by the younger, stealthy "whippersnappers"! And remember, $5 for the plant, $50 for the hole!

• Like 4

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

28 minutes ago, mnorell said:

I think what Alex may be stressing is that any stress on the root-mass sets the plant back in the precious "window" of warmth that the plant needs to grow. Roots can't really acclimate to a specific climate, but they do take time to recover from being severed. Coconuts are actually incredibly agile during transplant, as they are able to branch cut roots very quickly. This is why coconuts are field-dug in Florida and other tropical climates with small rootballs and moved with no problem whatsoever. BUT that is in a place that has a very, very long warm season with warm soil.

In California the climate and soil are much too cool to allow the palm to expedite a new set of roots and still put on the requisite growth during the short growing season and be able to survive the (in relative terms) long, chilly winter and cold soil, which is a breeding-ground for fungus and pathogens that can get the better of the plant in its weakened state, in a relatively hostile environment. Because of that, it is better to put the sprouted nut (or a small and well-grown containerized plant) into a carefully considered, favorable "suntrap" location with a porous, well-draining substrate and avoid disturbing it. My own opinion is that this is a good policy with all plants. I have always preferred to start with a one-, two- or three-gallon plant rather than larger "show specimens" that look great at first but that will be rather quickly overrun by the younger, stealthy "whippersnappers"! And remember, $5 for the plant, $50 for the hole!

Hear, hear!

On 3/18/2020 at 11:56 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Seedlings or bust. 

What variety do you figure it is?

4 hours ago, coconuts_dont_growhere_but said:

What variety do you figure it is?

Well, it's a golden. But a tall or semi-dwarf?  Is anyone's guess.  

Because of calis constant cool weather, these stop growing.  

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Well, it's a golden. But a tall or semi-dwarf?  Is anyone's guess.  

Because of calis constant cool weather, these stop growing.  

Whats the difference between golden and green based only on the tree? Also, it might not be a dwarf because it hasn't flowered yet.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:59 AM, Stevetoad said:

Someone should ask the home owner to join PT.  They got something special and might not know it. Probably wondering why queen palms are so popular and not cocos. 

The dude probably doesn't even realize he's semi famous.

44 minutes ago, coconuts_dont_growhere_but said:

The dude probably doesn't even realize he's semi famous.

Yup. The house is vacant. At least from what I was told Jan 2nd by the landscaper.  It hasn't flowered because of how cold it gets. 

There is a coconut in Mexicali right by the border, which has flowered but it aborts its fruit right away due to the cold and constantly cool Cali winters. (Mexicali isn't as cold as Corona, however they do have frost).

I don't believe my cocos will fruit. However, I do like the tropical look these plants provide over their fruit. And hey! If one does provide fruit, that would be a win-win!

I'm not holding my breath on it.

• Upvote 1

I haven't understood the coconut conditions to set fruit in borderline climates, a lot of fruits on Madeira Island are cut/trimmed, most don't get pollinated or dry out during dry months. It seems to me cocos need a nice amount of water and pollination or the fruit will abort. If the Mexicali is alone, it might be hard to set fruit. Of course maybe in Mexicali the cool months actually make it abort too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cluster said:

I haven't understood the coconut conditions to set fruit in borderline climates, a lot of fruits on Madeira Island are cut/trimmed, most don't get pollinated or dry out during dry months. It seems to me cocos need a nice amount of water and pollination or the fruit will abort. If the Mexicali is alone, it might be hard to set fruit. Of course maybe in Mexicali the cool months actually make it abort too.

Mexicali and Corona(and thus my city of Murrieta) are about the same.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2020 at 8:26 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Nope. You got me. We went to Big Bear for new years. mein Frau asked to stop by a walmart on the way back (post-Christmas specials, I assume)  I immediately thought of Corona,CA. And it so happens there is a mega/Super Walmart in Corona (East Ontario Ave) so we took a slight detour. :D

Like the song says: "It's now or never.."

We could have hit the Walmart at the base of Big bear mountain (Redlands, CA) just after our descent.

But no. I wanted to see it first hand!

verstehen?comprende?

:yay:

I used to live up california Avenue there in Corona. Where is this particular one? I would loooove to grow coconuts. I’m in Riverside now near lake Mathews. 

2 hours ago, mistyinca said:

I used to live up california Avenue there in Corona. Where is this particular one? I would loooove to grow coconuts. I’m in Riverside now near lake Mathews. 

I believe pages 2 and 5 have an address....

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, I have had a much different experience planting smaller younger Coconut Palms of various varieties here in Flour Bluff on the east side of Corpus Christi, Texas.  I used to plant them anywhere from 2.5 ft. tall to about 6 ft. tall in overall height and lost everyone, no matter how much I pampered them.  So, then I decided to ONLY plant any variety of Coconut Palm here that is at least 8 ft. or more tall in overall height, and so far the 4 I have planted (3 in my yard and one at a park on North Padte Island) that size have survived and are doing pretty good.  And I ONLY plant them here now from late March to about late May, because that way they have the majority of the year in good warm to hot weather to get established and start growing.  Our winters can be pretty chilly at times, but my yard rarely gets a freeze.  But by late February and early March, we start warming up again, and by late March have regularly warm enough weather and warm enough soil temps to plant them in the ground.  Mid April is probably the optimal time though to plant them here with a good balance of sufficiently consistently warm air and soil temps, and still allowing the most time during the rest of the year to get fully established before chilly weather starts again the following winter.  Here we can get some phenomenal growth on healthy well established Coconuts Palms from April till October, at least by South Texas coastal standards.  The same goes for the ones in the Rio Grande Valley that are adequately watered there, even better growth there than here with their slightly milder winters.

The major problem with disturbing roots of young and juvenile Coconut Palms seems to be with the Jamaican Talls.  I have lost 2 or 3 of them within a few months of planting them in the ground, since apparently they don't tolerate their roots being disturbed when they are young.  If I ever get another one of these, I will certainly be very careful to wait to plant it into the ground till it is about 9 ft. tall in overall height.

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
Typos
  • Upvote 1

Also, I always try to expose my young and juvenile Coconut Palms to at least 2 or 3 nights in the mid to upper 30'sF for low temps in the winter in their pots unprotected before planting them in the ground.  Doing this for a couple winters in a row seems to help harden them up for surviving the winters in the ground here.  I have even exposed 2.5 ft. tall to 6 ft. tall in overall height Coconut Palms to light frosts on occasion to help harden them up.  This seems to help too, as I used to baby my young Coconut Palms way too much, which apparently weakened them too much.  Now, the only ones I bring inside on nights in the mid to upper 30'sF are just really young sprouts less than 2.5 ft. tall, and of course the bigger ones too if there are 3 or 4 nights in a row at about 34F or less for overnight lows.  And I expose all of them to many nights in the 40'sF here in the winter, which if I had to guess over the course of the late fall and winter into early spring is probably about 25 o 30  + nights total over the course of the season.  I would say in a normal winter, my yard probably has 3 to 5 nights in the 30'sF, with my normal lowest low temp each winter probably about 33F or 34F.

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm

Ok I just got done reading this entire topic. And I can’t believe this house is around the corner from where we lived in Corona for several years. 

I have a theory as to how it may have come about though...

Back in the early 90s when my kids were babies, I had a mom group friend near me in Ontario, CA. I remember she had a coconut in a pot in her house. It had been brought or shipped home from a honeymoon in Hawaii.  Anyway, this “houseplant” was huge and nearly falling over. It still had the coconut that it was growing out of resting half-ish in the potting soil. 

Having never seen a coconut in Home Depot around here, my theory is that they had it as a houseplant from similar circumstances until it got too big and they put it in the ground. 

who knows. Maybe it’s the same one! Now that I think about it, when they divorced I think her husband moved to Corona. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mistyinca said:

Ok I just got done reading this entire topic. And I can’t believe this house is around the corner from where we lived in Corona for several years. 

I have a theory as to how it may have come about though...

Back in the early 90s when my kids were babies, I had a mom group friend near me in Ontario, CA. I remember she had a coconut in a pot in her house. It had been brought or shipped home from a honeymoon in Hawaii.  Anyway, this “houseplant” was huge and nearly falling over. It still had the coconut that it was growing out of resting half-ish in the potting soil. 

Having never seen a coconut in Home Depot around here, my theory is that they had it as a houseplant from similar circumstances until it got too big and they put it in the ground. 

who knows. Maybe it’s the same one! Now that I think about it, when they divorced I think her husband moved to Corona. 

Hi Misty,

You could be on to something.  The Hawaiian Tall Green Variety is actually supposed to be a little more cold hardy.  The only thing is that if it was kept inside fir a long time, it probably would have gotten too weak to be able to make it through the winters there, whereas one kept out on a patio in a pot most of the time, and thus exposed to the weather there a lot more would have a much better chance of making it through the winter than one that was kept indoors for a long time.

John

• Upvote 1

Well. The 20 degree thing really only rarely happens around there and maybe it hits that about 4am and lasts a couple of hours...maybe 2 or 3 times in a winter. The usual coldest there is in the 40s. I never saw snow in that part, and I lived maybe 2 miles from that house...if that. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any more news on the Corona Coconut?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here it is a few months ago emerging from winter. 

3A351AAB-94FE-4C64-8775-2377C6F269CC.jpeg

• Like 10

I'm always up for learning new things!

I'm just shocked by that one. And it was a pretty cold winter plus they had lots of cold, grey days (as usual) in spring all the way to Riverside. In fact, the one in La Quinta Cove was not looking nearly as cheery a few months ago when I drove over to see it. I'm sure the La Quinta specimen looks scraggly every winter but grows quickly out of it in the heat. Note that this Corona tree, as with all other successful larger Cocos that have been discovered in SoCal, is completely surrounded by, and root-zone covered by, concrete. That would keep the soil obviously very dry around the entire root-run in winter.

I'm also curious what form of Cocos that is. Light-colored petioles, and obviously a large-leafed 'Tall' type, but I shy away from thinking it a Panama/Pacific Tall, as usually they've lost most of their golden coloration by this size. Does anybody have an idea?

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

The Corona house still looks vacant. 

I pray the new owners don't cut down this California coco palm.

Yikes, let's hope not. Maybe an engraved plaque detailing its fame and importance, attached to the trunk so the new owners don't get any bright ideas...

• Like 2

Michael Norell