IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corona ca Coconut

JubaeaMan138

1 hour ago, AZPalms said:

Silas you can’t even get this in my head man! There were flurries about 20 minutes north of me this morning. That’s too close to home. A elevation change of about 1000ft and 10f kept me safe. 

This corona coco I’m very interested in. It’s absolutely amazing to think of all that’s stacked against it. 

Hear, hear!

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/ca/corona/KAJO/date/2019-2?cm_ven=localwx_history

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I would bet money it seen high 20s very low 30s several times in the last couple weeks 

And snow several times as well during its stay in Corona, CA.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Here are the corona hills this morning looks like they got even more snow over night . The coconut is at the base of these hills

B7444A09-A4BE-4DA7-8217-F42576C2CAAC.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2017 at 4:36 AM, Zeeth said:

22.6 million people live in California, so the odds don't have to be good.

Please disregard...my mistake. 

Edited by Mahalo2
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2018 at 6:02 PM, pin38 said:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/567-Viewpointe-Cir_Corona_CA_92881_M22411-58332#photo33

Hope I'm not breaking any bylaws, here's the listing. "Great curb appeal with palm trees in the front". AKA possibly a world record for northernmost surviving coconut. Maybe someone buy it as an income property and water it? I'll throw in a Home Depot gift card...

Wow...good work on getting the listing info. The Coconut Palm looks ABSOLUTELY fantastic in the realtor's photo!!! 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Any updates on this "neglected" coconut?

Pics?

• Like 2

Hmm I haven’t been by there for a while . But I did notice the hills behind corona were this palm is planted is covered in snow once again after this crazy storm that just went through . We got a ton of rain but now it is super cold . My bet is this palm is doing just fine . Maybe I can get over there and snap a picture in the next week or 2 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,  

Can anyone in the area get an updated pic of the palm?  Or at least tell us if it’s still alive.  From what I can tell it’s been about  a year since the last pic.

After the winter Corona had I would not be surprised if the Palm is not only dead but completely removed.  I am dying to see proof it’s still alive!   My guess is Corona saw at least 10 days in the 20’s last winter.  No chance it’s alive.   Please prove me wrong.  Thanks in advance

Edited by wrigjef
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wrigjef said:

Hey guys,  

Can anyone in the area get an updated pic of the palm?  Or at least tell us if it’s still alive.  From what I can tell it’s been about  a year since the last pic.

After the winter Corona had I would not be surprised if the Palm is not only dead but completely removed.  I am dying to see proof it’s still alive!   My guess is Corona saw at least 10 days in the 20’s last winter.  No chance it’s alive.   Please prove me wrong.  Thanks in advance

I looked up the low temps last winter in Corona.  
2/6 - 30 degrees 

2/7 - 29 degrees 

2/8 - 28 degrees

2/11 - 29 degrees

2/12 - 31 degrees

2/18 - 32 degrees

2/19 - 30 degrees 

2/20 - 30 degrees

2/21 - 32 degrees 

2/22 - 31 degrees 

2/23 - 29 degrees

Not as many days in the 20’s like I expected but 11 days at or below freezing with 6 nights below freezing in a row!?!??   If that coco is still alive I will simply be amazed!  

• Like 2

58b1a108-6fa5-4fc7-94cf-90017edd8fb9-ori

There doesn't seem to be much to be concerned about this winter compared to others the coconut has gone through - especially compared to 2011. Tbh, I don't understand the major effect the summer heat has in keeping the thing alive - Corona's summer is quite cool compared to what I get every year.

I have a young one in the ground that is doing quite well for December but have been worried about January / February where I am debating on whether or not to protect the thing. We don't get nearly as cold as Corona. 

My money is on some serious mutant genetics in that thing.

Edited by mlovecan
stated 2012 but meant 2011
  • Like 2

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

I cannot understand the trunk of that palm that does not resemble any Cocos nucifera I have ever seen. It reminded me of the La Quinta coconut that we have never obtained updates on regarding status.

• Like 3

What you look for is what is looking

1 hour ago, bubba said:

I cannot understand the trunk of that palm that does not resemble any Cocos nucifera I have ever seen.

I agree with you as far as the trunk goes - which, to me, suggest some species of Parajubaea. However, the yellow petioles have me convinced.

• Like 2

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

6 hours ago, mlovecan said:

I agree with you as far as the trunk goes - which, to me, suggest some species of Parajubaea. However, the yellow petioles have me convinced.

100% coconut.  the old leave bases are just still attached. id imagine that the lack of humidity and rain keeps them from rotting off.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

On 12/18/2019 at 3:32 PM, Stevetoad said:

100% coconut.  the old leave bases are just still attached. id imagine that the lack of humidity and rain keeps them from rotting off.   

Same thing here with our South Texas/RIo Grande Valley Coconut Palms that are NOT adequately watered in our semi arid climate.

• Like 1

Someone please take a pic of that coconut!!:D

• Like 4

Would like to see updated photos of the Corona Coconut as well as the La Quinta Coconut. Wrigjef’s low temperature summary  together with the strange appearance of the trunk makes me have real questions about the possibility that this is a very interesting hybrid of nucifera and B. alfreddi.

It should warrant an expert inspection with real testing to determine what it is. A new hybrid between nucifera and alfreddi would be spectacular!

• Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

9 hours ago, bubba said:

Would like to see updated photos of the Corona Coconut as well as the La Quinta Coconut. Wrigjef’s low temperature summary  together with the strange appearance of the trunk makes me have real questions about the possibility that this is a very interesting hybrid of nucifera and B. alfreddi.

It should warrant an expert inspection with real testing to determine what it is. A new hybrid between nucifera and alfreddi would be spectacular!

I thought the la quinta coconut got chopped down?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

I thought the la quinta coconut got chopped down?

One did. There was another decent sized specimen in another yard.. thinking it is still there. Was last time i did a street view check.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bubba said:

Trunk is just how they look here. The leaf bases hold on for a very long time. We don’t get the humidity and rain that helps rot them off.  Almost all the cocos you see in Cali have the leaf bases stuck to them. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

5 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Trunk is just how they look here. The leaf bases hold on for a very long time. We don’t get the humidity and rain that helps rot them off.  Almost all the cocos you see in Cali have the leaf bases stuck to them. 

So in Florida Washingtonias shed their leaves along with their bases without help from humans?

In Corona, contrary to popular opinion, someone is cutting off the leaves of that "neglected" coco.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

So in Florida Washingtonias shed their leaves along with their bases without help from humans?

In Corona, contrary to popular opinion, someone is cutting off the leaves of that "neglected" coco.

I don’t know about washies being that they always tend to hold leaf bases. I’ve found this true on livistona, acrocomia. I have a good test subject to firm this too. One of my livistona decora gets hit by a sprinkler on the bottom of its trunk on one side. That’s the only side that lost its leaf bases. The other side you can pull as hard as you like and those leaf bases arnt budging. The side that gets water on them the bases fell off on their own. My super silver is starting to do the same thing. 

• Like 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few factors that haven't been mentioned yet and some of them contribute to an unusual temporary night time micro climate in a very small area where this palm lives.

1. Vehicles 

Seen in the early pics of this thread is a large white van backed up to the garage right next to the palm in one pic and parked in front of the house on the street in another pic so I'd believe it's probably the original homeowners vehicle. The van appears to be a work truck which probably weighs about 5000 lbs empty and payload might add another 1000 lbs or more. People who own trucks like it typically back in at night when they get home because it's easier to see traffic when leaving in the morning. If there's valuable cargo like expensive tools etc. in the van it would likely be backed up close enough to the garage door to make stealing things out the back doors difficult.

The white van being parked on the West of the palm during at least it's early years not only created a heat sink and West wind block but also a warm spot of reflected light as soon as the sun came up.

The black mold outlines on the concrete driveways indicate that two cars are parked in most of the driveways overnight. The palm home shows those outlines throughout the years on the googles pics as does the home with a driveway on the other side of the palm.  Additionally there are cars parked in the street in front of most of the homes that appear to be the type of cars children of the homeowners would own. So based on the type of house & vehicles it looks like a family neighborhood where mom and dad get the driveway spots overnight and kids park in street. If they're typical family residences there's maybe a jet ski, boat, classic car, golf cart, or other large toy in one side of the two car garage while sports equipment and yard tools take up the other side. The "stuff" in the garage all has mass, holds heat and radiates it out when it's cooler in the night. The kids cars in the street act to slow air currents and radiate some heat in the general area and kids tend to park later in the day for the last time.

2. Heat holding mass

While the south facing wall and concrete surrounding the palm have been mentioned, the mass in the garages and vehicles hasn't. Just the vehicles in the two driveways will probably total over 15,000 lbs. and who knows what's in the garages. The vehicles are warm when folks arrive home at the end of the day and take a long time to cool.  If it's cold outside the heaters are being used which warms any payload.  In addition to their mass holding heat they have an effect of keeping the concrete driveway under them warm for a longer period into the night because while hot air rises heat radiates equally in all directions. This becomes more important when I get to aerodynamics.

There's a concrete retaining wall just East of the palm that not only holds heat but would act as a wick should the area where the palm is become saturated with water.

3. Aerodynamics

Briefly touched on in previous posts was protection from Northerly winds. We can see large trees behind the home. Additionally because of the way air moves over the homes it creates an area of lower pressure rolling on the downstream side of the homes. If the wind is more to the East or West it will roll the air on an angle as it moves down the street. The air circulating in front of the homes would be warmed by the concrete driveways, walks, and vehicles so it would be warmer than the air flowing over the top. The spot where the palm is planted is set back from the house to the East and protected by the porch and trees to the West. There is a solid fence between the homes preventing cold air from sinking and channeling between the homes at or just above ground level.  The curve of the row of homes also helps make the palms placement ideal. These things create a calm spot in a very small area where the palm is even if a van or other vehicles were not present which allows radiant heat to keep the plant warmer than overhead flow ambient air temps. 

4. water

As I touched on above there is a retaining wall that would wick away excess water. the walk and driveway are pitched away from the palm so standing water shouldn't cause a problem. We can see irrigation stains on the garage wall of the home next door and one of the previous posters mentioned 2 drip lines for the palm. So between the drips and lawn watering there should be ample water without possibility of long term flooding in cool months.

5. insulation

Because the dry weather prevents the leaf bases from cut leaves from falling they provide a nice layer of insulation for the palm. Might not seem like much but reducing the airflow around the trunk reduces transpiration from the trunk which would cool the trunk. So not only do the leaf bases help keep the trunk from cooling quickly, but by also reducing transpiration it stays even warmer than it would without leaf bases.

6. Utilities

It appears that a lot of the utilities for the two homes are underground between them, right by the palm.  While not a lot of heat is likely, there's a certain amount of resistance in electrical wiring that might add a little warmth, the city water might be warmer than ambient temps on cool nights, sewer water from showers, dishwasher, and washing machine might also add a little heat.

20191230_161353_zpsvcsiiaik.jpg

20191230_161333_zpsvlehilqi.jpg

• Like 5

I'm sure the tiny artificial micro-climate created by the house is a contributing factor, but let's not forget the overall climate of the area. Many nearby stations average daytime highs near 70F (it's not Newport Beach) and average temps in the high 50s to near 60F in winter, maybe just a touch cooler than parts of central Florida. I think the palm is also located on a slope (?),  air drainage probably helps a lot in a freeze.  You could probably grow a coconut fine a few feet away out in the open (barring a very below avg winter). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Had to see it for myself. Pic was taken 30 min ago 1pm  Jan/2/2020

I'll upload more once I get back.

20200102_130814.jpg

• Like 12

Looks in good condition. It must have one heck of a microclimate. I wonder how it will fare when it grows above the 2nd story roof. 

Way to take charge, Alex!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That's looking pretty good Alex, nothing wrong with that coconut at all. Is it far from you? I'd love to see a pic of it at the end of your winter just to see how it compares with mine at the end of our winter if it's not too far from you mate.

Edited by sandgroper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Had to see it for myself. Pic was taken 30 min ago 1pm  Jan/2/2020

I'll upload more once I get back.

20200102_130814.jpg

Wow that looks amazing!  I am so surprised it pulled though last years winter.  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@GottmitAlex Did you take a pic from the driveway ? Did you talk to the owners ? 

I knocked, but noone was inside.

There was a person who was airblowing leaves. He said the house been empty for quite some time. He asked me why was I taking pictures of "that" palm in particular. When I told him it is a coconut palm he didn't believe me. 

20200102_130801.jpg

20200102_130759.jpg

20200102_130825.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sandgroper said:

That's looking pretty good Alex, nothing wrong with that coconut at all. Is it far from you? I'd love to see a pic of it at the end of your winter just to see how it compares with mine at the end of our winter if it's not too far from you mate.

It's 2 hours and change driving down from Corona to my haus. (Without any traffic).

Me too. I'd love to see a pic of it in late March.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

20200102_130748.jpg

20200102_130744.jpg

20200102_130742.jpg

20200102_130734.jpg

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

He said the house been empty for quite some time.

I wonder if any of the neighbors are "borrowing" the driveway to park cars overnight. That would be beneficial during the winter months.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NOT A TA said:

I wonder if any of the neighbors are "borrowing" the driveway to park cars overnight. That would be beneficial during the winter months.

Yes. That would make sense 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alex, Thank you for this update!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat