IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corona ca Coconut

JubaeaMan138

Any updates on this marvelous Corona coco?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On Tue Dec 06 2016 08:01:41 GMT-0800, rprimbs said:

I have a hunch about why people succeed -- and we don't.

They buy a little coconut palm at Home Depot as a houseplant.  They water it and even fertilize it.  And they keep it in the house most of the year, occasionally moving it outdoors in better weather.  Eventually it gets too big to be kept as a houseplant, so they plant it outdoors.  And it lives!

We on the other hand don't have that level of patience.  We plant our coconut palm outdoors long before it is too big to be kept as a houseplant.  And we watch it slowly die.....

:floor::)IMG_20150618_1843.thumb.jpg.c751ec34056f

Me thinks so tooo! It seems the bigger they are, the better chance they have at handling a California winter.

• Like 1

:floor::)IMG_20150618_1843.thumb.jpg.c751ec34056fWhat's the deal!:rant:

Why does it keep loading this pic of the stump!!! There's a major glitch in the PalmTalk matrix...:crying:

• Upvote 1

mprGA.gif

• Upvote 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

19 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I will stop by there tomorrow and have a look try to get some better pictures as well

Damn, incredible!!! It looks so healthy and green! 

• Upvote 1

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

On 1/6/2017, 7:28:30, JubaeaMan138 said:

I will stop by there tomorrow and have a look try to get some better pictures as well

Any updates?

:o

On 06 December 2016, awkonradi said:

If this palm owner wraps his Cocos in Christmas lights, then I think he may be more knowledgeable than estimated.

I don't think simply wrapping Christmas lights around the palm at Christmas means they are more knowledgeable, they also wrapped them around the Queen palm. This was simply for festive decoration rather than for any extra heat benefit, which probably wouldn't exist anyway as many modern lights are LED or are low wattage, if the lights did give out any heat then they would need to be covered with some sort of protective covering to keep that heat in...

• Upvote 2

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

9 hours ago, SouthSeaNate said:

I don't think simply wrapping Christmas lights around the palm at Christmas means they are more knowledgeable, they also wrapped them around the Queen palm. This was simply for festive decoration rather than for any extra heat benefit, which probably wouldn't exist anyway as many modern lights are LED or are low wattage, if the lights did give out any heat then they would need to be covered with some sort of protective covering to keep that heat in...

So you think the Corona coco has been growing care-free under the best possible scenario and circumstances in Cali.

I could see the possibility in that, but what are the odds?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

So you think the Corona coco has been growing care-free under the best possible scenario and circumstances in Cali.

22.6 million people live in California, so the odds don't have to be good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

22.6 million people live in California, so the odds don't have to be good.

Southern California*

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

19 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

And what are the odds that Christmas lights put on the Coconut, at Christmas, were for anything other than Christmas decoration? Especially as it was mentioned that the Syagrus also had Christmas lights on it...

I have no idea if they have ever given any sort of protection or care to that Coconut, but I would say that the Christmas lights are proof only that the house does not belong to a Jehova's Witness :D

• Upvote 3

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

• 2 months later...

Here is updated picture of the coconut in corona looking pretty nice still through the wet cold winter we had out here 

IMG_2307.JPG

• Upvote 10

That thing looks amazing. Has anyone contacted the owner? Hopefully the owner realizes what he/she has there, or it will end up chopped off like the Palm Desert coconut when it gets too big.

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2016, 11:29:41, JubaeaMan138 said:

Ok I didn't get a good look but I drove by this tree this morning almost certain it is a cocoa. DoomsDave confirmed it as well through text. Here is a picture of it . It is located in south corona California I don't know how it survives but it is also very healthy.

IMG_2042.JPG

I just checked it out it's doing great. Looks like it has a nice little warm pocket to live in with heat reflection and radiated heat from the drive way I guess it's my turn to grow one

Arborguy63

Edited by ArborGuy63
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

IMO , the reason this guy is doing so well is...do to it being planted in a small square opening in cement .

limited water limits winter root rot an keeps the roots warmer.

if I lived in SoCal in an area where hard freezes are rare and nights average 48f and above in winter, I would replicate the palm in photo exactly .

about the only thing I would do differently , drip water and fert in summer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2017 à, JubaeaMan138 said:

Here is updated picture of the coconut in corona looking pretty nice still through the wet cold winter we had out here 

IMG_2307.JPG

Wow, its looking better than the Ravenea the other side !

• Upvote 2

On 6/26/2017, 5:36:12, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

IMO , the reason this guy is doing so well is...do to it being planted in a small square opening in cement .

limited water limits winter root rot an keeps the roots warmer.

if I lived in SoCal in an area where hard freezes are rare and nights average 48f and above in winter, I would replicate the palm in photo exactly .

about the only thing I would do differently , drip water and fert in summer.

Jeff, you nailed it to the "T"

Couldn't explained better my self

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

wow, that's incredible !

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Anyone have recent photos of this Coconut? Must be gorgeous this time of year.

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2016, 8:29:02, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

I suspect there's a perfect storm of good luck . . .

Concrete all around, south facing, I'll be bet plenty of water. And a few years of good luck.

and it appears it might have a bit of a wind block between the owner's house on one side and the neighbor's house that sticks out further, blocking wind from the right as well. Could be a really perfect storm of good luck. Be interesting to stop/knock and ask the owner what his secret is, I'm sure he'd be interested to share if he's taken that good of care of it.

• Upvote 3

It's looking good.  Since that is a two story house, the palm appears to be about 16ft. or 17ft. tall in overall height.  I wonder, has anyone checked out what the normal high/low temps are for there in Dec. and Jan.?  I am also curious what the USDA Climate Zone is for that area?

John

I use to live down the street from there and we had high 20s several times throughout January just about every year .also 4 or 5 years ago we had snow. 

• Upvote 1

Mid to upper 20's, 9B no doubt. 

Any possible way this tree just has the genetics to survive ? In my opinion corona is a pretty brutal climate cold windy winters and dry hot summers . 

23 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I use to live down the street from there and we had high 20s several times throughout January just about every year .also 4 or 5 years ago we had snow. 

Wow!  All the more reason it is surprising  that it survives there at all and looks as good as it does.

John

23 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Mid to upper 20's, 9B no doubt. 

That's as chilly as the west side of Corpus Christi where coconut palms have no chance at all of making it through the winter, even though those of us who live in the thin veneer of the Zone 10A Climate  on the far east side of town near the water,have a few of them.

John

• Upvote 1

I'm going to try and replicate this exact planting position next spring with a coco i've been babying for 2 years now that I bring in during the colder days . 

• 2 months later...

So does anyone share the location of this tree? Or do we keep it private and sleuth it out for ourselves? (of course I know we wouldn't post it publicly, but do we share it via PMs?)

On 10/29/2017, 8:26:47, Pando said:

Northernmost trunking coconut in the world?

Further north than Bermuda? 

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

1 hour ago, Alan_Tampa said:

Further north than Bermuda? 

Yea, bermuda is 32 degrees.  Corona is 33.8.  I would have guessed Japan but i dont know exactly where they can grow on the biggwr islands. 

• Upvote 1

Internet search says Okinawa is as north as they grow in Japan, which is only 26 degrees. So looks like Corona wins. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is another proof to show that coconuts prefer warmer highs even sacrificing for chilly/cool winter nights ! 

Corona's winter highs remain within 68-70F (20-21C), even if the lows are just 40-43F (4-6C) the high winter sunshine hours and those warm highs are perfect for coconuts to thrive! In Europe, the closest climate to Corona/southern Cali in overall would be the areas within Alicante and Malaga in Spain or somewhere in southern Cyprus, yet the winter highs remain as much as 17-18C (63-64F) with more frequent cooler spells, even if nights are slightly warmer.

I also agree this is definetly the northernmost place with a trunking coconut and the furthermost from the Equator, it's almost 34ºN so woah - impressive. In the southern hemisphere they get down to 33ºS. I've heard about some coconut in Port Elizabeth, South Africa at 34ºS but in 3 years I didn't find any proof. :D

Edited by Alicante

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

7 hours ago, Alicante said:

This is another proof to show that coconuts prefer warmer highs even sacrificing for chilly/cool winter nights ! 

Corona's winter highs remain within 68-70F (20-21C), even if the lows are just 40-43F (4-6C) the high winter sunshine hours and those warm highs are perfect for coconuts to thrive! In Europe, the closest climate to Corona/southern Cali in overall would be the areas within Alicante and Malaga in Spain or somewhere in southern Cyprus, yet the winter highs remain as much as 17-18C (63-64F) with more frequent cooler spells, even if nights are slightly warmer.

I also agree this is definetly the northernmost place with a trunking coconut and the furthermost from the Equator, it's almost 34ºN so woah - impressive. In the southern hemisphere they get down to 33ºS. I've heard about some coconut in Port Elizabeth, South Africa at 34ºS but in 3 years I didn't find any proof. :D

4-6c lows?  That would be San Diego, TJ weather. Corona gets much colder than that.

Here's a 5-year historical

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KAJO/2010/1/16/CustomHistory.html?dayend=16&monthend=1&yearend=2017&req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Edited by GottmitAlex