IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corona ca Coconut

JubaeaMan138

That is sacrilegious!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎48‎:‎52‎, GottmitAlex said:

I suppose this is a dwarf variety?

All things being equal, how high would a Tall variety have grown?

BTW, we're expecting upper 40's rain on Sunday. Looking at Corona's weather outlook, they're going see rain in the upper 30's on Sunday.

But as JubaeaMan138 mentioned, Corona does get into the upper 20's a few times every year. I really don't think this coming storm will phase the cocos nucifera there..

From the photo, it looks like it may be a Green Malayan Dwarf, and if so, that makes it even more amazing that it is surviving there, since the Malayan Dwarfs are known to be less cold hardy than a lot of the talls.

Looks like that one is now the northernmost surviving in-ground coconut that we know of, at 33.837 degrees latitude, even further north than the Newport Coconut (33.619). La Quinta is further south, at 33.657.

Someone definitely unlocked the secret. :)

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 7

Couple of stats:

House was built in 1997 and was sold in March 2005 and February 2009 (foreclosed).

Since the earliest street view image already shows it in July 2008, the current owner could not have planted it (likely doesn't even know what it is).

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 2

I'm surprised that it survived the house being foreclosed on. That usually means that irrigation gets shut off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

9 minutes ago, Pando said:

Couple of stats:

House was built in 1997 and was sold in March 2005 and February 2009 (foreclosed).

Since the earliest street view image already shows it in July 2008, the current owner could not have planted it (likely doesn't even know what it is).

This is too comical. 

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

What I can't help notice is just as the Mexicali Coconut(10a), and without an iota of doubt, even the La Quinta/Salton Coconuts(9b), this Corona coconut(9b) cannot sustain any fruit.

The flower freezes with the cold snaps. Hence the reason why a 10-11 year old dwarf malayan does not show any signs of fruit. But, hey, it's not a bad trade-off if the cocos nucifera turns out to grow large with great foliage as this Corona coco.

I know. Who wouldn't want it to have fruit?  But here again, at least we get a nice looking, against all odds, coconut palm tree in freezing parts of California.

• Upvote 2

That's a beautiful coconut no matter its location. Just because Corona has gotten into the 20s may not mean the microclimate temp there fell that low. Other factors may be how long temps stayed that low and how quickly they rebounded once the sun rose. Here lows are usually reached just before sunrise and may last minutes before rebounding. Finally, the large size of the palm works in its favor. Foliage may and probably will burn but it would take hours of freezing temps to fatally damage the rest of the palm.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I think the main factor is lots of concrete and pavers and being close to the house. That driveway radiates heat well into the night, keeping the roots toasty. The garage door reflects light nicely. There is no soil visible, just rocks, and when it rains, excess water drains away quickly around the base. Longer roots will get the additional water from the lawn area irrigation, which is probably why it picked up speed significantly in the last few years. It may have a small bubbler where it's at, but I wouldn't be surprised if it only gets minimal water from that if at all, and probably most of it coming from the lawn irrigation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That's a beautiful coconut no matter its location. Just because Corona has gotten into the 20s may not mean the microclimate temp there fell that low. Other factors may be how long temps stayed that low and how quickly they rebounded once the sun rose. Here lows are usually reached just before sunrise and may last minutes before rebounding. Finally, the large size of the palm works in its favor. Foliage may and probably will burn but it would take hours of freezing temps to fatally damage the rest of the palm.

And don't forget that it has gotten into the 20s on Barrier Island in Brevard County, FL, and coconuts have survived such temps.

Wunderground for Corona,CA in these past two years has recorded temps at 20F and many days in the low to high 20's.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KAJO/2014/12/1/CustomHistory.html?dayend=1&monthend=12&yearend=2016&req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

The place is a lot colder than Mexicali (El Centro,CA).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDp73kb0eM

• Upvote 1

Someone should contact the homeowner, even by popping a letter in their postbox, to let them know just how special & rare that palm is. May make them think twice about potentially chopping it down in the future...

• Upvote 4

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Wunderground for Corona,CA in these past two years has recorded temps at 20F and many days in the low to high 20's.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KAJO/2014/12/1/CustomHistory.html?dayend=1&monthend=12&yearend=2016&req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

The place is a lot colder than Mexicali (El Centro,CA).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDp73kb0eM

I don't know how accurate that is.. Even up here at my place in NorCal, my 2014 extreme low was 32 and 2015 was 30F. So I really doubt Corona got to 20. 

• Upvote 1

That house can't have seen 20F since that coconut was planted - 20F would be lethal to any tropical palm without protection and supplemental heat.

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

The Corona Municipal Airport is situated 3 miles NW of Corona & like all airports will record lower temperatures than the towns/cities they represent...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

21 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That house can't have seen 20F since that coconut was planted - 20F would be lethal to any tropical palm without protection and supplemental heat.

I suppose the original owners (or at this point, probably the neighbors) protected that coco for the first two or three years of its life...

Edited by GottmitAlex

One advantage this coconut has over the late lamented Newport Beach palm is access to more sun and higher heat. It grows faster and stores up more reserves for shorter days of winter. Tropical palms respond poorly to weeks/months of cool days and chilly/cold nights. Coconuts won't photosynthesize when temps fall below 50F or so I've read.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

On 11/30/2016, 3:54:37, Pando said:

Couple of stats:

someone has some time on there hands..:floor:

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

39 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I suppose the original owners (or at this point, probably the neighbors) protected that coco for the first two or three years of its life...

I doubt it. most folks just keep the receipt and return it when it dies.

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

39 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Sunset zone 24

19 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Its "fortuitous" placement in the garden makes me doubt that. I even think if anyone were to try and plant a coco seedling from home depot next door or anywhere in that vicinity and in the same south facing position, without any winter protection ( a 5 gal bucket or a plastic bag etc) . It would die come first winter. I don't think it is a guess. It would most certainly die.

Edited by GottmitAlex

2 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Its "fortuitous" placement in the garden makes me doubt that. I even think if anyone were to try and plant a coco seedling from home depot next door or anywhere in that vicinity and in the same south facing position, without any winter protection ( a 5 gal bucket or a plastic bag etc) . It would die come first winter. I don't think it is a guess. It would most certainly die.

Welllllllllllllll............. looking on google earth this house certainly does not belong to a collector. Perhaps Just some dude who wanted to plant a palm?????

Corona has a lot of heat and can get 100F multiple days on end. Also I mentioned in a previous post on this thread if it was not for all the concrete surrounding this and the fact its south facing this coco would be toast.some folks get lucky when planting these. Mark in Oceanside had a bigger coco than this that died once it grew up past its south facing wall protection. only time will tell.....

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

7 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Welllllllllllllll............. looking on google earth this house certainly does not belong to a collector. Perhaps Just some dude who wanted to plant a palm?????

Corona has a lot of heat and can get 100F multiple days on end. Also I mentioned in a previous post on this thread if it was not for all the concrete surrounding this and the fact its south facing this coco would be toast.some folks get lucky when planting these. Mark in Oceanside had a bigger coco than this that died once it grew up past its south facing wall protection. only time will tell.....

He didn't plant it where he has his trees.

27 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

He didn't plant it where he has his trees.

35 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Please excuse me if I sound confrontational. It is not my intention. Reading myself It seems I come across as pontificating something which I have no facts.

I am just speculating.

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Please excuse me if I sound confrontational. It is not my intention. Reading myself It seems I come across as pontificating something which I have no facts.

I am just speculating.

:greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

someone has some time on there hands..:floor:

What, 10 minutes to find the house on Google maps (and no, I didn't ask Chris for location), 3 minutes to pull up on Zillow.

:)

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, enigma99 said:

I don't know how accurate that is.. Even up here at my place in NorCal, my 2014 extreme low was 32 and 2015 was 30F. So I really doubt Corona got to 20. 

It appears it has, and does. I checked many years, they seem to hit low 20's quite a bit. Remember this weather station is a municipal airport. They are REQUIRED to keep accurate weather data for the air traffic they control.

Two weather stations closest to it already recorded 39F on Monday. High 20s in coldest days is very likely in that area.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCACORON585#history/tdata/s20151201/e20161201/myear

and

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCACORON588#history/tdata/s20151201/e20161201/myear

Unfortunately both of them haven't been up for more than a month or so.

• Upvote 1

My coconut has a 200 watt heater and temporary greenhouse around it. I had a couple cool mornings and the coldest it got was like 46F. Generally the nights are in the 50s in there. Not taking any chances on mine :)

• Upvote 4

I brought mine in to the living room a few days ago. It's getting sun through the window and is doing pretty well, almost fully pinnate now.

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:
1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

My coconut has a 200 watt heater and temporary greenhouse around it. I had a couple cool mornings and the coldest it got was like 46F. Generally the nights are in the 50s in there. Not taking any chances on mine :)

good call Derrick

Sunset zone 24

On 25/11/2016 20:36:49, JubaeaMan138 said:

I will say this there is only one other Palm in the hole yard and it's a queen these homes were built in early 2000 I imagine both palms were bought from the Home Depot down the street as small 5 gallon plants. im going to have to knock on the door and talk to the home owner 

JubeaMan,

That palms look wonderful !!!

If you go to see it and talk with the owner, ask him if you can check the soil.

Perhaps it was planted in sand ???

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Upvote 1

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

I actually drove by again but it was late in the evening they had Christmas lights wrapped around it and the Queen across from it.  might be over there this weekend as I now live in riverside the city over but I can garuntee this area has seen high 20 degree temps several times in the last 2 to 3 years .as a matter of fact I believe it was 2013 this area had snow for a few hours. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I actually drove by again but it was late in the evening they had Christmas lights wrapped around it and the Queen across from it.  might be over there this weekend as I now live in riverside the city over but I can garuntee this area has seen high 20 degree temps several times in the last 2 to 3 years .as a matter of fact I believe it was 2013 this area had snow for a few hours. 

I wonder if the neighbor had been taking care of it until the new owners moved in...

12 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

If this palm owner wraps his Cocos in Christmas lights, then I think he may be more knowledgeable than estimated.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

I have a hunch about why people succeed -- and we don't.

They buy a little coconut palm at Home Depot as a houseplant.  They water it and even fertilize it.  And they keep it in the house most of the year, occasionally moving it outdoors in better weather.  Eventually it gets too big to be kept as a houseplant, so they plant it outdoors.  And it lives!

We on the other hand don't have that level of patience.  We plant our coconut palm outdoors long before it is too big to be kept as a houseplant.  And we watch it slowly die.....

• Upvote 3