IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga which one grows the best for you?

Palm crazy

I already have one Arenga engleri and its really slow growing. Are there others Arenga that can take cooler temps and grow faster, even if their not as hardy? Suggestion please.

Edited by Palm crazy

Arenga engleri are a lot faster with more heat.

I think where you are, anything else will croak. Alas.

You could try A. pinnata, but it gets huge. Like a C. gigas, almost.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Arenga engleri are a lot faster with more heat.

I think where you are, anything else will croak. Alas.

You could try A. pinnata, but it gets huge. Like a C. gigas, almost.

Dave I was thinking of growing it in a pot if that possible. I grow A. engleri in a pot so I can bring inside for winter, no more leaf damage since. 

Does A. pinnate grow at lower temps? Thanks for answering. 

Edited by Palm crazy

After a little reading on the web I don’t think A. pinnata is what I am looking for. Still needs heat and moderate growing and way to big. 

The one I did find that looks promising is A. micrantha. More cool tolerant and grows faster and tolerates cool dry winters. I have the perfect spot indoors for winter to. 

Now where in the Heck do I fine one. LOL! 

Edited by Palm crazy

11 hours ago, Albey said:

Hi Roger

Arenga micrantha is the one i would have recommended as well.

Good luck finding one.

Rod, thanks for answering. I think I will wait till early spring to get one. There easy to find in Cali mail order and I may want a few other palms too. 

I thought about Arenga years ago as possible palm here, with some form of overhead shelter during the winter. I ruled it out shortly after the seeds I got from RPS never germinated. After further investigation I realized it was most likely a struggle rather than a survivable palm. 

Barrie I tried Arenga engleri in the ground for three years (protected in winter) and it was just impossible to grow here because of lack of summer heat. So I now grow it in the house in an upstairs room that faces south. Room is in the 80’s during the day and most importantly in the 70’s at night. It’s recovering really nice and I hope to use it again outside but in a container. So it will be outside for just July & August. It makes a great houseplant and mine gets lots of neglect.  

I’m hoping A. micrantha can be outside longer like 4 months. Will see. 

• Upvote 1

I don't really have the space for house plants as such. I have a few that I move in only during frosty weather. Some smaller and seedlings I store in my crawl space.

Cheers, Barrie.

On 11/23/2016, 9:15:46, Palm crazy said:

After a little reading on the web I don’t think A. pinnata is what I am looking for. Still needs heat and moderate growing and way to big. 

The one I did find that looks promising is A. micrantha. More cool tolerant and grows faster and tolerates cool dry winters. I have the perfect spot indoors for winter to. 

Now where in the Heck do I fine one. LOL! 

A. micrantha seems like a good bet - try some and see! Let us know.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

16 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Barrie I tried Arenga engleri in the ground for three years (protected in winter) and it was just impossible to grow here because of lack of summer heat. So I now grow it in the house in an upstairs room that faces south. Room is in the 80’s during the day and most importantly in the 70’s at night. It’s recovering really nice and I hope to use it again outside but in a container. So it will be outside for just July & August. It makes a great houseplant and mine gets lots of neglect.  

I’m hoping A. micrantha can be outside longer like 4 months. Will see. 

Picture?

Out of Arenga Engleri, Arenga Microcarpa and Arenga Tremula, for me, the clear winner is Arenga Engler.  It's a tough palm which handles hot weather and frosty conditions equally well - it's one tough palm.

2vb0yzc.jpg

My Arenga Tremula is growing steadily now but 10 years ago it was killed back to nothing by a severe frost which killed two of my three Arenga Pinnata's.   So now what I have is re-shoots or suckers from a badly set back palm.   It's certainly the most tropical of my three Arenga species.

1zdxg9d.jpg

Arenga Microcarpa is not the prettiest palm but it's just as tough as Arenga Engleri.

2ag3kep.jpg

Steve your Arenga Tremula is really nice looking. 

23 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Picture?

Here is my little one. Just started suckering two years ago. Got this one mail order as one gallon. I’d say it’s a five gallon size now. 

DSC00015.jpg

• Upvote 1