IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It's that time of year again... seed starting

Jdiaz31089

I find that around this time every year, I spend a small fortune on buying seed. Maybe it's the shorter days, or the fact that it's dark when I get home from work every day at 5, but RPS and other sites are irresistible to me during the winter. If you're like me, post what seed you're starting at the moment and hopefully we can share when they sprout and begin to leaf out!

I'll go first! I have these seeds on warm heat mats

Jubaeopsis caffra - some of you might remember my post when squirrels stole my two sprouted jubeaopsis seeds. I have a third sprout now which I will guard dearly!

Archontophoenix tuckerii - Thanks Doomsdave!

Dypsis carlsmithii - Thanks Colin!

Dypsis ambositrae

Oraniopsis appendiculata 

Syagrus unk. - probably sancona. Collected in Coral Gables, FL

Syagrus kellyana 

Sabal mauritiformis

Sabal etonia

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Brahea decumbens

Chamaedorea hooperiana, metallica and woodsoniana

Dendroseris pinnata - not a palm, but I'm equally excited for this one

• Upvote 9

Same here. On Saturday I ziploc'ed two husked supermarket cocos. (Supposedly from Jalisco,Mexico).

Went to check on them today and one of the coco's has already started growing a white dot. :)

It's been only four days. I have them in the "outhouse" restroom. Sun hits its southern wall nicely during the day. By evening, it's a sauna in there. 

20161116_1.jpg

20161116_2.jpg

• Upvote 8

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I have a few different species this year apart from the usual stuff I germinate every year (Nannorhorps, Mule,  Butia Odorata, Eriospatha, yatay,Sabal minor, causarium, uresana, Brahea Armata, Clara, Trachycarpus, Jubaea, Phoenix)

Allogoptera Leucocalyx

Butia Odorata X Jubaea F2

Colpothrinax Wrightii

Livistona Nitida

Medemia Argun

Sabal Bermuda and Texensis

Schippia Concolor

Copernicia Fallensis, Ekmanii, and Baileyana

Cycas Platyphylla, Urvan Banks Blue., Revoluta x Debaoensis F1, Revoluta x Scratchleyana/Rumphii F1, Revoluta/Debaoensis F2, Revoluta/Mitcho F2

Macrozamia Elegans, Cardiacensis, Diplomera, Heteromera, Stenomera

Dioon Califanoi, El Camaron

Lepidozamia Peroff.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have a few different species this year apart from the usual stuff I germinate every year (Nannorhorps, Mule,  Butia Odorata, Eriospatha, yatay,Sabal minor, causarium, uresana, Brahea Armata, Clara, Trachycarpus, Jubaea, Phoenix)

Allogoptera Leucocalyx

Colpothrinax Wrightii

Schippia Concolor

I've never even heard of some of these. Are you planning on growing any of these in the ground where you are? I'm also trying Medemia argun - any advice on these? 

• Upvote 1

Correct, only some of the cycads will go into the ground.  i just received the medemia seeds and i plan on treating them just like a bismarckia .  

• Upvote 2

Aand, here are my latest additions:

Two Panama talls.  The one with the 1" sprout does not look in good shape. Its main root had already disintegrated when I opened the package.

The coconut with the 3" leaf has only one large root (very browned out) but hopefully they adjust and keep going.

They are in a 70% pure sand and 30% compost mix. They did drain out once I watered them. Both are sitting in in the bathroom in the shower. Drain plug is between both coco's.

I have a "Philips 416750 Heat Lamp 125-Watt BR40 Clear Flood Heat Lamp" on em. Ceiling is 12' tall. Temps are 75f with a 53% humidity reading. (Just checked after 2 hours of setup and right before I submitted this post). 

The idea is to turn on the light at night and during the short days, leave the light off. Hopefully by the end of February I have positive results.

Wish me luck.

arrival 1.jpg

arrival 2.jpg

arrival 3.jpg

• Upvote 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 1 month later...

Update on the seedlings: 

Both supermarket coco's have sprouted and are forming roots. One of them already is beginning to show a light green object on the top of the sprout.. :D

As per the two Panama Talls: Well, one is growing very nicely It has grown a leaf and has opened up. It's on it's second leaf.

The other Panama tall, as you can see from the pics, not so well. I informed the seller about it a week after acquiring it . When I received both Panama Talls the one in question had its root fall off just by brushing it. She mentioned not to lose hope and it might just come back. The base of the leaf is still green.  Let's see how it plays out. 

But the seller was kind enough to send me ("to make it right", her words and action) around  Dec 5th, a Maypan seedling which had a small leaf already. In one month another has grown and opened up. The shape of the nut is much more round than the Panama talls, but compared to my Malayan dwarfs, the Maypan nut is very big and its leaves colors are bright yellow. The seller did say it was a Golden Maypan. 

Well enough talk, and here are the updated pics. Along with the general pic of the outdoor bathroom where the seedlings have been living in during the winter.

During the nights I turn on the lights (1 80 watt full spectrum led grow bulb and one 120w Phillips IR heat bulb. Ceiling is 12' tall). During the day it's lights off and that bathroom gets direct sunlight on it's southern wall. It's warm in there and with the added thermal mass (5 gallon buckets full of water). The seedlings have very cost effective daytime heating and humidity.

20170108_Panama tall1.jpg

20170108_Panama tall2.jpg

20170108_Maypan.jpg

20170108_sprout 1.jpg

20170108_maypan closeup.jpg

20170108_sprout 2.jpg

20170108_sprout1closeup.jpg

20170108_indoortherm.jpg

20170108_bathroomgrow1.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 4

On 1/8/2017, 5:27:38, GottmitAlex said:

Update on the seedlings: 

Both supermarket coco's have sprouted and are forming roots. One of them already is beginning to show a light green object on the top of the sprout.. :D

As per the two Panama Talls: Well, one is growing very nicely It has grown a leaf and has opened up. It's on it's second leaf.

The other Panama tall, as you can see from the pics, not so well. I informed the seller about it a week after acquiring it . When I received both Panama Talls the one in question had its root fall off just by brushing it. She mentioned not to lose hope and it might just come back. The base of the leaf is still green.  Let's see how it plays out. 

But the seller was kind enough to send me ("to make it right", her words and action) around  Dec 5th, a Maypan seedling which had a small leaf already. In one month another has grown and opened up. The shape of the nut is much more round than the Panama talls, but compared to my Malayan dwarfs, the Maypan nut is very big and its leaves colors are bright yellow. The seller did say it was a Golden Maypan. 

Well enough talk, and here are the updated pics. Along with the general pic of the outdoor bathroom where the seedlings have been living in during the winter.

During the nights I turn on the lights (1 80 watt full spectrum led grow bulb and one 120w Phillips IR heat bulb. Ceiling is 12' tall). During the day it's lights off and that bathroom gets direct sunlight on it's southern wall. It's warm in there and with the added thermal mass (5 gallon buckets full of water). The seedlings have very cost effective daytime heating and humidity.

20170108_Panama tall1.jpg

20170108_Panama tall2.jpg

20170108_Maypan.jpg

20170108_sprout 1.jpg

20170108_maypan closeup.jpg

20170108_sprout 2.jpg

20170108_sprout1closeup.jpg

20170108_indoortherm.jpg

20170108_bathroomgrow1.jpg

I always love seeing the first little sprouts! 

PalmTreeDude

On 11/16/2016, 5:14:17, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Allogoptera Leucocalyx

Butia Odorata X Jubaea F2

Colpothrinax Wrightii

Livistona Nitida

Medemia Argun

Sabal Bermuda and Texensis

Schippia Concolor

Copernicia Fallensis, Ekmanii, and Baileyana

Cycas Platyphylla, Urvan Banks Blue., Revoluta x Debaoensis F1, Revoluta x Scratchleyana/Rumphii F1, Revoluta/Debaoensis F2, Revoluta/Mitcho F2

Macrozamia Elegans, Cardiacensis, Diplomera, Heteromera, Stenomera

Dioon Califanoi, El Camaron

Lepidozamia Peroff.

very NICE!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 11/16/2016, 8:28:39, Jdiaz31089 said:

I find that around this time every year, I spend a small fortune on buying seed. Maybe it's the shorter days, or the fact that it's dark when I get home from work every day at 5, but RPS and other sites are irresistible to me during the winter. If you're like me, post what seed you're starting at the moment and hopefully we can share when they sprout and begin to leaf out!

I'll go first! I have these seeds on warm heat mats

Jubaeopsis caffra - some of you might remember my post when squirrels stole my two sprouted jubeaopsis seeds. I have a third sprout now which I will guard dearly!

Archontophoenix tuckerii - Thanks Doomsdave!

Dypsis carlsmithii - Thanks Colin!

Dypsis ambositrae

Oraniopsis appendiculata 

Syagrus unk. - probably sancona. Collected in Coral Gables, FL

Syagrus kellyana 

Sabal mauritiformis

Sabal etonia

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Brahea decumbens

Chamaedorea hooperiana, metallica and woodsoniana

Dendroseris pinnata - not a palm, but I'm equally excited for this one

no dypsis baronii Sp. "Keeled leaf" :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

My list is at the green house but I have over 80 species germinating.

been potting up like a mad man!! Grrrrrr!

I also have 10 species on heat at my house.

I'm in it waaaaayyyy to deep. lol

• Upvote 5

Sunset zone 24

8 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I don't think so Josh!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Josh-O said:

no dypsis baronii Sp. "Keeled leaf" :mrlooney:

I'm really looking forward to these sprouting! I have them on bottom heat. Would you be inclined to pot these up in groups of 3 or so? They're a suckering palm, so I wonder if grouping them would be too much. 

1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

I hear ya! Seeds are starting to sprout and I don't think I'm ready for them! Potting some sprouted seed up later today. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

I don't think so Josh!

lol... it will be good for the palm community

Sunset zone 24

21 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I feel like I am trying to germinate a single bean seed after reading this...

PalmTreeDude

One of my Washingtonia robusta is starting to peak out of the soil! One of the seeds I started a while back. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

My friend germinates seeds by just throwing them on a bed of mix without removing the outer flesh and then waters them every couple of days. It seemed to be working as 5 of the seeds had popped.....I always remove the outer flesh, however this time around I could have probably left it on.

Last year I ordered 20pcs of A. catechu alba from RPS, to then have them lost in the postal system for 4 months. They arrived with the flesh still on, albeit in the final stages of gangrene and the smell was not very pleasant to say the least. Anyway, I removed the flesh, soaked them in fungicide and then placed them in a bed of rice ash to germinate which of course they didn't......0 from 20!!

20170111_080627.jpg

20170111_080631.jpg

20170111_080641.jpg

• Upvote 5

I finally got around to potting some of my sprouted seed yesterday. I'm beginning to get really antsy for spring to roll around!

Dypsis Carlsmithii - I finally potted these up. They spent this winter outside under canopy, including those several nights of low 30s and frost. Really optimistic about these. 

20170111_125749.thumb.jpg.472e5ba99d9b3d20170111_125902.thumb.jpg.501238572374be

• Upvote 4

Medemia argun - these just began sprouting on Sunday, so I got them potted up today. Loba (the she wolf) things they're snacks :drool:

20170111_125008.thumb.jpg.f31a01eca8e6b2

20170111_124949.thumb.jpg.7510fbb2023e64

Syagrus schizophylla - I got really good germination on these!

20170110_124416.thumb.jpg.e2651f8d7660b7

• Upvote 5

• 2 months later...

Here's an update on one of the supermarket bought cocos I started to germinate back in November of last year.

The one on the right cracked open in half back in February after it was exposed to the sun. Both were outside for 5 minutes in their individual plastic bags. I brought them back in the greenhouse and after about 5 minutes I heard a loud pop. All its water was held by the bag.  

Anyway,  The one on the left, was fine and kept on growing.

This pic was from Nov. 16 2017,  24 hours after they were submerged in water. 

20161116_1.thumb.jpg.21b0e92b711f3b26c3d

This is the suviving coco. January 2017

20170108_sprout1closeup.thumb.jpg.d9613f5872bcc9ab424_20170108_sprout2.thumb.jpg

Aaand.. here it is today:

03/26/2017

I guess I should find a pot for this guy. Which leads me to the question:

What sort of mix should I use to completely submerge the endocarp and roots for this little one?  I know it's not pure sand......

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 2

Probably the most boring list ever:

1. Sabal Minor (blue form)
  2. Phoenix Theophrasti 'Golkoy'
  3. Washingtonia Robusta
  4. Dypsis Plumosa
  5. Phoenix Dactylifera
  6. Chamaedorea Radicalis
  7. Sabal Palmetto

Will probably not keep everything if even 50% of each sprout, but it's good to have more than you need than not enough.

• Upvote 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Probably the most boring list ever:

1. Sabal Minor (blue form)
  2. Phoenix Theophrasti 'Golkoy'
  3. Washingtonia Robusta
  4. Dypsis Plumosa
  5. Phoenix Dactylifera
  6. Chamaedorea Radicalis
  7. Sabal Palmetto

Will probably not keep everything if even 50% of each sprout, but it's good to have more than you need than not enough.

Not boring at all! where did you get 'Golkoy' form seeds? I don't think are very common.

I'm trying to germinate:

- Sabal 'Riverside'

- Sabal minor

- Acrocomia aculeata -> dehusked seeds

- Jubaea chilensis -> dehusked seeds

- Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Litoralis' -> more than a year and still nothing

- Brahea 'Franken'

- Brahea edulis -> more than a year trying to germinate them

- (BxJ)xS -> 1 year in the germinator without any success

- Chamaedorea radicalis

• Upvote 1

08053.gif

At the moment I have in bags or trays:

(sorry about the spelling, I cant remember all the latin names as well as I would like)

- Archontophoenix Alexandre

- Archontophoenix Tuckeri

- Hydriastelle Costata

- Pychtosperma Macarthurii

- Pychtosperma Elegans

- Livistona Decora

- Livistona Drudei

- Livistona Mariae

- Livistona Lanuginosa

- Licuala Ramsayi

- Wodyetia bifurcata

I am expecting to arrive soon from various sources:

- Arenga Australacasica

- Oraniopsis Apendiculata

- Hydriastele Wendlandiana

- Linospadix Minor

- Normanbya Normanbyi

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Sanips said:

Not boring at all! where did you get 'Golkoy' form seeds? I don't think are very common.

I'm trying to germinate:

- Sabal 'Riverside'

- Sabal minor

- Acrocomia aculeata -> dehusked seeds

- Jubaea chilensis -> dehusked seeds

- Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Litoralis' -> more than a year and still nothing

- Brahea 'Franken'

- Brahea edulis -> more than a year trying to germinate them

- (BxJ)xS -> 1 year in the germinator without any success

- Chamaedorea radicalis

The 'Golkoy' seeds were ordered from here: http://www.exotischezaden.nl/exotische_zaden/product_info.php?currency=GBP&products_id=1273&language=en

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Hello everyone,

same same over here - beautiful thread at this time of the year - and I got some new seeds, too:

Dypsis sp. `Bejouf/Belofa`

Lytocaryum weddelllianum

Pritchardia pacifica

Corypha umbraculifera

Copernica fallaensis

Copernica hospita

Happy growing!

best regards

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...
On 2017. 1. 11. 오후, JJD said:

My friend germinates seeds by just throwing them on a bed of mix without removing the outer flesh and then waters them every couple of days. It seemed to be working as 5 of the seeds had popped.....I always remove the outer flesh, however this time around I could have probably left it on.

Last year I ordered 20pcs of A. catechu alba from RPS, to then have them lost in the postal system for 4 months. They arrived with the flesh still on, albeit in the final stages of gangrene and the smell was not very pleasant to say the least. Anyway, I removed the flesh, soaked them in fungicide and then placed them in a bed of rice ash to germinate which of course they didn't......0 from 20!!

20170111_080627.jpg

20170111_080631.jpg

20170111_080641.jpg

Congratulation! what was the temperature? 

I treated dwarf areca catechu seeds in fungicide with bismarckias and kept them in same conditions. 

All bismarckias germinated within 2~3 weeks but all areca catechu seems to be rotten. What could be wrong? 

I find out it is hard to germinate areca for me :( second failure...

Hi Cocos Korea,

I live in the tropics so its hot and humid pretty much all year, although we do have distinct wet and dry seasons.

I germinate all my Areca in my my shade house or under canopy using carbonized rice husk with the exception of gurita and novohibernica where I have used the baggy method with vermiculite. I have found Areca like plenty of water during the germination phase although this may not be applicable to your location and the germination method you use.

Trying to grow Areca in South Korea is going to be quite a challenge, to the point of being impossible, unless you have have a protected microclimate at your disposal!! As usual, fresh seed plays a big part in successful seed germination so try and get fresh seed to avoid frustration and disappointment.........

I have been away with work for 8 weeks and just returned home late last night, so did a walk of the garden this morning and here is an update of some of the dwarf catechu seeds pictured above. Even at this stage it is easy to see some of the seedlings are not going to be true dwarfs.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

John

20170716_073101.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Hello there,

I think it was about time to bump this one since we are facing winter (at least in the northern hemisphere) and (we all) start ordering seeds ...don`t we?:D

My letter arrived yesterday:

003x.thumb.jpg.e833904c65be727f3dbdb5a9d

Not really much since I am still "warming up"...but I got:

Bismarckia nobilis Silver (which was about time but I still have my doubts because of our typhoons) 

Beccariophoenix fenestralis (= B.sp Eastern) -  quaman58`s images of his Beccariophoenix were just awesome!

and:

Livistonia rotundifolia (= Saribus rotundifolius) - again inspired by an image posted by gbarce 

004x.thumb.jpg.dcad475c064c1dc484e874f63

In two days I am going to put them in a warm spot boxed in peat moss- I hope they will do well.

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 2

This year it's mostly natives for a small "natives" garden I've always wanted: Sabal Palmetto, Blue Sabal Minor, acoelorrhaphe wrightii.  I got 26 more phoenix theophrasti seeds, all of which have germinated in 2 weeks.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

Getting seeds soon, hoping for Sabal minor, some sort of Washingtonia, Butias,  and maybe some needle palm seeds, although they take seven hundred years. The needle palm seeds I mention here last year already sprouted, got lots of fronds, and were given to a friend of mine. They grew pretty fast once the summer heat came. 

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

On 1/11/2017, 2:10:12, Jdiaz31089 said:

Medemia argun - these just began sprouting on Sunday, so I got them potted up today. Loba (the she wolf) things they're snacks :drool:

20170111_125008.thumb.jpg.f31a01eca8e6b2

20170111_124949.thumb.jpg.7510fbb2023e64

Syagrus schizophylla - I got really good germination on these!

20170110_124416.thumb.jpg.e2651f8d7660b7

You

Are

NUTTY! :greenthumb:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It is that time of year again, isn't it?  I've just germinated recently some Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. watermelon and Chamaedorea radicalis and still waiting on Dypsis plumosa and Rhapidophyllum hystrix.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder