IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana x Lytocaryum weddellianum

iwan

I realize this is not a common hybrid, but I am looking for any cultural information for this palm.  I have no clue what this will grow up to be nor how much hot inland sun it will take.  Any freeze information on this yet?  I am expecting less hardy than the Queen mother.  Need to find a spot in the garden for this.

• Upvote 1

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Hi Iwan,

In Madera, i think no problem to grow it anywhere...

Do you have one? Pm me where did you buy it?

Do you have any picture?

Salut ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

50 minutes ago, gilles06 said:

Do you have one? Pm me where did you buy it?

Do you have any picture?

info please!
truly rare this hybrid

GIUSEPPE

I don't have any pictures.  It is dark when I leave and return from work.  Dennis Turrin had one in the ground I believe, when I was there for the NorCal Palm Society meeting last month, but I forgot to take a picture of it.  Hopefully Ben, or one of the NCPS members has a picture that they can post.

I purchased them from Patric.

Robert

9A

I had thought that you had bought this from  patrick,which are the minimum temperatures from you in winter?

to be precise, this  hybrid was done so,pollinating of  Syagrus romanzoffiana with pollen of  Syagrus weddellianum, is so?

GIUSEPPE

8 minutes ago, gyuseppe said:

I had thought that you had bought this from  patrick,which are the minimum temperatures from you in winter?

to be precise, this  hybrid was done so,pollinating of  Syagrus romanzoffiana with pollen of  Syagrus weddellianum, is so?

This one is S weddelliana x romanzoffiana: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/47386/

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Not a great picture, but here is my little guy from a couple months back.  I also have the Butia version of the cross.  These take full-on, 100+ degree, inland sun - at least here in California where it cools down to the 60s every night w/o fail.

14264841_10153692051057234_581237313848884542_n.jpg

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

9 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

The lowest I have measured here since 2000 was 18F in the big freeze of 2007.  My normal winters do not drop below 25F, but because of our multi-year extreme drought and resultant lack of winter humidity, I have had radiational lows of 19.8F, 21F and 23F the last few winters.  Last winter was the first "normal" low of 25F in four years.

The palms were offered as SxL.

Robert

9A

Thanks Ben,

The heat tolerance information is valuable.  You normally get some delta breeze to moderate the heat at night though.  Summer lows in the Fresno area can be in the 70-80F range or higher.  Most of my palms shut down in the summer.  I will probably plant them with some overhead canopy since standard queens can be burned here or even killed when we have a record freeze like 1991, 98, 2007.

It looks like our palms are around the same size 3' to maybe 4' overall.   You wouldn't happen to have a picture of Dennis' palm?  It seemed like his had about 3' of trunk.

My concern is that they will end up looking like a 15'+ tall pinnate Raphis.  All of these new hybrids make landscape design a challenge, but that is some of the fun growing them.

Robert

9A

13 hours ago, iwan said:

Thanks Ben,

The heat tolerance information is valuable.  You normally get some delta breeze to moderate the heat at night though.  Summer lows in the Fresno area can be in the 70-80F range or higher.  Most of my palms shut down in the summer.  I will probably plant them with some overhead canopy since standard queens can be burned here or even killed when we have a record freeze like 1991, 98, 2007.

It looks like our palms are around the same size 3' to maybe 4' overall.   You wouldn't happen to have a picture of Dennis' palm?  It seemed like his had about 3' of trunk.

My concern is that they will end up looking like a 15'+ tall pinnate Raphis.  All of these new hybrids make landscape design a challenge, but that is some of the fun growing them.

I actually didn't know Dennis had one. I will need to swing round there at some stage - but I am enjoying some time on the Big Island this week!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

mine is to big to fit in the camera frame. when I trim it down to size I might snap a pic :floor:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

6 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have a pair of Patric Butia x Lytocaryum, but they are very slow thusfar.

Interestingly, mine are significantly faster than Syagrus x Lytocaryum.

Ben Rogers

11 hours ago, iwan said:

The label says Q-D-SY x Lytowedd 2010.

DSCN1802 (Custom).jpg

DSCN1793 (Custom).jpg

DSCN1798 (Custom).jpg

Robert, that looks like one of Patric's labelling approaches to identify a specific palm.  I bet it means something like "Queen-Dennis-Side Yard" or something like that.  So my bet is that's Queen x Lytocaryum.

Ben Rogers

I agree with QxL Ben.  I need the secret decoder ring to Patric's hybrids.  I know the parents to many of my older hybrids since most came from Dick Douglas' trees, but Patric has expanded his efforts greatly now.

• Upvote 1

Robert

9A

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2016, 9:55:49, iwan said:

I realize this is not a common hybrid, but I am looking for any cultural information for this palm.  I have no clue what this will grow up to be nor how much hot inland sun it will take.  Any freeze information on this yet?  I am expecting less hardy than the Queen mother.  Need to find a spot in the garden for this.

Freeze tolerance is encouraging on this.  Plants are not much larger than pictured a little over a year ago.  Both have pushed one new frond.  One is pushing a second.  Planted last spring.  One is under partial canopy from a couple of Washintonia, the second is somewhat sheltered, but fully exposed to the sky.  Both are somewhat chloritic and show some signs of burning, but most of the foliage looks otherwise not critically damaged.  

Forum not allowing me to upload pictures at the moment.

Edited by iwan

Robert

9A

Uploads work now.

Here are my lows for the Feb. 2018 freeze:

2/21  21.6F

2/22 23.5F

2/23 27.9F

2/24  25.1F

2/25  26.5F

2/26  29.3F

And duration info from a local AG station.

5a9e085d333e8_3-5-20187-15-07PM.thumb.pn

Copy of DSCN3474.jpg

Copy of DSCN3458.jpg

Copy of DSCN3461.jpg

Copy of DSCN3462.jpg

• Upvote 3

Robert

9A

thank you for report, 21,6 F is cold!

I hope i will find one...

Salut ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 1 year later...

Both were dead by the time the daytime temps started hitting the 80's.  Definitely did not inherit any hardiness from the S. rom mother. 

Robert

9A

55 minutes ago, iwan said:

Do you have an updated picture Ben?

Hard to get one in my rainy jungle today, but will try and upload what I was able to snap quickly.

7C8CB98F-DD98-4E4B-A90E-05391800B767.jpeg

8A4ABCE8-B032-4938-B128-6ABC9E8363CC.jpeg

Ben Rogers

Thanks Ben.

Might have to try again in a more protected spot next time.

• Like 1

Robert

9A