IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, PHILIPPINES

JJD

It has taken me a long time to get around to posting these pics from two trips I did back in August and December 2015, to Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines. I did start to post some pics but the quality was not very good, I was using an Iphone 5 so requested the Mod to delete the posts. I have cleaned the pics up as best I can to kill off some of the haze and over exposure. Hopefully they don’t look too bad and people enjoy the experience as much as I did……

Visiting Puerto Galera requires a 2 hour road trip driving south from Manila to the industrial port city of Batangas, where you jump on a ferry (banca boat) for a 45minutes boat ride to Puerto Galera (PG). PG is located on the northern most tip of Mindoro Island, famous for beaches and diving.

P8160088.jpg

I first visited Puerto Galera in 1986 and thereafter on a regular basis so have seen a lot of changes over the years, with the most significant being the (over?) development of small & large beach resorts and basic infrastructure struggling to keep up. I have found Big La Laguna Beach to be one of the cleanest and quietest beaches in PG and only 20min walk along the beach, or  a 10min banca ride to Sabang beach which offers more nightlife for those in need…….

IMG_5827.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I visit PG I always stay at La Laguna Beach Club (LLBC) in Big La Laguna. Here’s a pic of the Beach Club back in 1992 when I stayed there…….the place has changed a bit over the years.

1-19-2010_025.jpg

Actually, in the early 90’s the owners decided to do a major renovation/extension and I was lucky enough to be staying at the resort when a famous Australian actor was also visiting. Here he is at the window of room 218 holding up a cold Fosters and giving everyone the thumbs up.:greenthumb:

One things for is sure, he really loved a beer……..for the entire 10 days I was there he never had a Foster’s beer out of his hand, while a packet of winnie reds were in the other.

1-10-2010_009.jpg

• Upvote 2

This is a shot from the Beach Club bar and that’s the number one reason for my visits, the palm on the cliff top, closest to the water is a  Corypha Utan. 

P8160062.JPG

• Upvote 2

This is a pic from 1992 looking from the back of the Beach Club and a shot from 2015 showing a nice size double C. Utan.

During most of my visits to PG I walk from Big La Laguna to Puerto Galera port, starting at the back of LLBC, taking the road up the hill on the right, then walk up and down the hills to the port town, returning along the road and neighboring beaches. It’s about about a 11km round trip. 

1-19-2010_021.jpg

Puerto Galera Aug 2015 221.jpg

Puerto Galera Aug 2015 222.jpg

• Upvote 2

More Corypha at the start of the walk.........they're everywhere!!

Later pics will show how these monsters come to grow so close the roads.

IMG_5656.jpg

• Upvote 3

This is a recent addition at the top of the first and steepest hill which gave some relief to read, however it was still a bit of a slog to complete the walk in the late morning sun. 

P8160067.jpg

On 12/11/2016 15:17:57, JJD said:

This when I started to notice Corypha seedlings growing right next to the road.

IMG_5671.jpg

Which Corypha is this? umbraculifera or utan?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Seedling with seed next to it and more seeds and seedlings.

The last photo in this post is the same location 4 months later, at the end of the rainy season.

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5682.jpg

IMG_5683a.jpg

IMG_7352.jpg

• Upvote 1

More Corypha seedlings beside the road which probably came from the two dead palms in the below photo.

Corypha with half the roots exposed and still surviving, until the next big typhoon.

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 14/11/2016 14:31:23, JJD said:

I will post some more photos later this week.

I am looking forward to discovering these new pictures, Now it's saturday :D:D

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Arriving in Sabang we find a seeding Livistona chinensis, Wodyetia bifurcata, Saribus rotundifolius in pots and Hotel Tropicana with it's bizarre castle like architecture.

IMG_5746.jpgIMG_5748.jpgIMG_5751.jpgIMG_5765.thumb.jpg.90f51116c9b5aa60a1545

Palms along the beach all look very healthy: Adonidia merrillii gold form & green form,  Saribus rotundifolius, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis and dwarf coconuts.

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

IMG_5802.jpg

IMG_5804.jpg

IMG_5806.jpg

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Huge fan of Corypha. Thank you so much for posting this. Amazing shots, especially the shots of the grove and the thousands of seedlings. 

I've got 5 seedlings planted in a rather tight area. Can't wait for them to get huge but I know it's going to be a while.

Any more photos or resources documenting growth rates would be fantastic!

Edited by HurryUp&Grow
  • Upvote 1