IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Accessions of Corymbia ptychocarpa and Cycas tropophylla at MBBG

Mandrew968

Yesterday, I planted this swamp bloodwood. What a cool name! I believe this is one of the largest leaves of the Eucalypts. I hope it does well for us on the beach. 

This tree came from Loxahatchee Adam--thanks again!

Corymbia.jpg

corymbia2.jpg

corymbia3.jpg

• Upvote 2

One of four Cycas tropophylla to go into our oolitic limestone planters has been planted yesterday, along with some Quail berry (Crossopetalum ilicifolium). Should make for an interesting and eclectic look.

These Cycas were donated from cultivated plants on the property of Montgomery Botanical Center. They are such a generous and first class establishment--I can't thank them enough for the support they give. 

tropophylla.jpg

tropophylla2.jpg

tropophylla3.jpg

Cool! I don't know of anyone else who is growing this corymbia. I have a two year old from seed that is just a little taller than yours. I expect that being a water-lover, this plant will do better for you in humid, wet Florida, as opposed to hot, dry California where I am. Yours also has a deeper green color. Mine is in full sun and has lime-green leaves. 

EUC3.thumb.jpg.08a1b47b56546013ffecd2f2bEUC2.thumb.jpg.f48840573349ec099e2aff7abEUC1.thumb.jpg.b3e5d0ddae5fc2d1d8114ec1b

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Cool! I don't know of anyone else who is growing this corymbia. I have a two year old from seed that is just a little taller than yours. I expect that being a water-lover, this plant will do better for you in humid, wet Florida, as opposed to hot, dry California where I am. Yours also has a deeper green color. Mine is in full sun and has lime-green leaves. 

EUC3.thumb.jpg.08a1b47b56546013ffecd2f2bEUC2.thumb.jpg.f48840573349ec099e2aff7abEUC1.thumb.jpg.b3e5d0ddae5fc2d1d8114ec1b

I wouldn't expect a very robust specimen in California as it Corymbia ptychocarpa is native to an area of Australia that doesn't have a real cool season. Dry yes not cool. I'm not saying that it won't grow it will take along time to even become a shrub. I grow a hybrid corymbia  between C. ficifolia and  C. ptychocarpa called 'summer glory' it has a crimson pink blossom and a dwarf form.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2016, 10:26:46, Jdiaz31089 said:

The only nice "eucalyptus" besides a Rainbow