IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana variations?

Tracy

I have another small one that I bought as Dypsis "Jurassic Park", which apparently has been grouped as a variant (not deviant) of Dypsis prestoniana.  It will be interesting to see as it grows how it compares to the other two larger D prestoniana's I have.

20200619-BH3I0344.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, the leaflets of that one certainly are much different than that of mine.  However, my palm is smaller so that may change with size.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:28 PM, Hilo Jason said:

Thought I would bump this thread since it got mentioned in a newer thread. Would be great to see updated photos of Tracy's palms and also Josh's flowering one. 

I just planted  this 3 gallon here in my Hilo garden:

IMG_0556.thumb.JPG.0a7fd41a300e1b51b8ef9

Jason, please share an updated photo of your 3 gallons, as 2 years in your growing grounds are like about 5 years or more here.

9 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

Tracy, the leaflets of that one certainly are much different than that of mine.  However, my palm is smaller so that may change with size.

Yours looks more similar to Jason's than my little one, which is why I asked him to post an update photo of his.

11 hours ago, Tracy said:

Jason, please share an updated photo of your 3 gallons, as 2 years in your growing grounds are like about 5 years or more here.

That palm ended up being Dypsis Robusta. There was no tag when I bought it and thought it was Prestoniana. As it grew larger I could tell it was a Robusta. It is now in John’s yard and he just posted a photo on this Yard Monsters thread:

I do have a few Prestoniana though, that were planted shortly after that Dypsis Robusta was originally planted. 

This first one was planted as a 1 gallon from Floribunda, that’s a 10 gallon pot on the right of it, to give some scale.

D5829CB9-A646-4E91-A9C6-7C5C3BE477C9.thumb.jpeg.64f5ce0dce36730513a2e7acd22c5404.jpeg

And this one was planted as a 3 gallon from Jerry Andersen:

A5CF1E11-1754-4E66-ABD7-1759F63CEDA6.thumb.jpeg.71da2a0dd5befdfc4cf9a22f8ba0c26d.jpeg

the Floribunda palm seems more upright and the Jerry Andersen palm is spreading out horizontally quite a bit more. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tracy said:

I have another small one that I bought as Dypsis "Jurassic Park", which apparently has been grouped as a variant (not deviant) of Dypsis prestoniana.  It will be interesting to see as it grows how it compares to the other two larger D prestoniana's I have.

20200619-BH3I0344.jpg

Hey Tracy,

where did you get this Jurassic Park from?  I bought one many years ago from George Sparkman, but yours has much thinner leaflets than mine ever had. Mine is now in Len’s yard so maybe he will see this and post a photo of it. 

I bought a “Jurassic Park” recently from Jerry Andersen and it has narrow, but plumose leaflets. I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow when there’s daylight. 

I’m curious to see what yours grows into. 

8 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Hey Tracy,

where did you get this Jurassic Park from?  I bought one many years ago from George Sparkman, but yours has much thinner leaflets than mine ever had. Mine is now in Len’s yard so maybe he will see this and post a photo of it. 

I bought a “Jurassic Park” recently from Jerry Andersen and it has narrow, but plumose leaflets. I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow when there’s daylight. 

I’m curious to see what yours grows into. 

HI Jason,

I got this about 3 or maybe even 4 years ago as a tall 1 gallon from Josh Allen.  I believe that it was originally a Floribunda plant though.  I'll have to ask Josh or maybe he will see this post and confirm.  On the wide leaf plant that you had which turned out to be a D robusta, I can see the resemblance now to mine with the wider leaflets.  Unfortunately my robusta shows a lot more tenderness to our winter cool spells as well as being prone to leaf burn when we get hot combined with dry (Santa Ana weather), as compared to the prestonianas.

On 6/21/2020 at 4:24 AM, Tracy said:

HI Jason,

I got this about 3 or maybe even 4 years ago as a tall 1 gallon from Josh Allen.  I believe that it was originally a Floribunda plant though.  I'll have to ask Josh or maybe he will see this post and confirm.  On the wide leaf plant that you had which turned out to be a D robusta, I can see the resemblance now to mine with the wider leaflets.  Unfortunately my robusta shows a lot more tenderness to our winter cool spells as well as being prone to leaf burn when we get hot combined with dry (Santa Ana weather), as compared to the prestonianas.

Thanks for the info about yours from Josh.  I think I also recall Dypsis Pilulifera sharing the Jurassic Park name for awhile. But I could be wrong about that. It’s hard to keep all these Dypsis names straight. From your photos and the narrow leaflets it looks like it could be Pilulifera. 

My findings in California on Dypsis Robusta were the same as yours. Very tough grow for me in Fallbrook. I kept it alive in the shade but it never really grew any larger than when planted. 

Here are a couple photos of what I bought recently from Jerry Andersen as Dypsis Jurassic Park. You can see the irregular and grouped leaflets starting in the second photo. This is in a tall 5 gallon tree pot. It will get planted out when I find a spot or something else under-performs and gets pulled out. I have no idea what it really is but I don’t think I have this in my yard yet so that’s why I picked it up. 

8760462C-68C2-4274-99B5-F3316DA3F80F.thumb.jpeg.ab77b398cdc041dda6a097f8062dc955.jpeg

76D793EE-F104-4C27-8BD7-47239CB80EE5.thumb.jpeg.759918820d52f3694040dded43385b91.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

Thanks for the info about yours from Josh.  I think I also recall Dypsis Pilulifera sharing the Jurassic Park name for awhile. But I could be wrong about that. It’s hard to keep all these Dypsis names straight. From your photos and the narrow leaflets it looks like it could be Pilulifera. 

My findings in California on Dypsis Robusta were the same as yours. Very tough grow for me in Fallbrook. I kept it alive in the shade but it never really grew any larger than when planted. 

Here are a couple photos of what I bought recently from Jerry Andersen as Dypsis Jurassic Park. You can see the irregular and grouped leaflets starting in the second photo. This is in a tall 5 gallon tree pot. It will get planted out when I find a spot or something else under-performs and gets pulled out. I have no idea what it really is but I don’t think I have this in my yard yet so that’s why I picked it up. 

8760462C-68C2-4274-99B5-F3316DA3F80F.thumb.jpeg.ab77b398cdc041dda6a097f8062dc955.jpeg

76D793EE-F104-4C27-8BD7-47239CB80EE5.thumb.jpeg.759918820d52f3694040dded43385b91.jpeg

The latest I heard was that they took pilulifera away from D.  'Orange Crush'  and said that D. 'Jurassic Park' was now pilulifera.  I have a D. pilulifera that looks just like your JDA 'Jurassic Park'.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

The latest I heard was that they took pilulifera away from D.  'Orange Crush'  and said that D. 'Jurassic Park' was now pilulifera.  I have a D. pilulifera that looks just like your JDA 'Jurassic Park'.

Thanks for the input Joe. 

Any thoughts on what you think Tracy’s palm might be that he bought as Jurassic Park?

15 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

Thanks for the input Joe. 

Any thoughts on what you think Tracy’s palm might be that he bought as Jurassic Park?

From what I can tell, it looks like a D. 'Orange Crush'.  I'll take a pic of mine to compare.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here is my D. 'Orange Crush'.  The narrow, tight leaflets and long petiole made think they were the same.  But I am only seeing one image.   

IMG_4268.JPG

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

If Tracy's palm is super slow, it could also be JDA's D. malcomberi.  I'm leaning more towards JDA's D. malcomberi now.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

:wacko:  It is like a deck of cards that is continually reshuffled for names.

1 hour ago, joe_OC said:

If Tracy's palm is super slow, it could also be JDA's D. malcomberi.

I have a D malcomberi hybrid that stalled a while back after the neighbor's King palm dropped a frond from about 20 feet above it on it's crown.  It has two spears neither of which are open with the newest creeping along and the older one has looked like it's cracking open for about 3 months but never actually does.  It was slow before that incident, but the one I posted as D "JPark" has been a bit faster than that malcomberi ever was.

I'll get a post of the JDA malcomberi for you

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here is my friend Mike’s malcomberi:

712368AF-76A4-4CA8-BD0E-C440D2A1BA0F.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here is another perspective on my palm acquired as Dypsis "JP".  Leaflets mid rachis are starting to become more irregular although when smaller it appeared to be more symmetric and in the same plane.  They still are pretty narrow for this size when comparing to most D prestoniana's I have seen at this age.

20200623-BH3I0379.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Here is another perspective on my palm acquired as Dypsis "JP".  Leaflets mid rachis are starting to become more irregular although when smaller it appeared to be more symmetric and in the same plane.  They still are pretty narrow for this size when comparing to most D prestoniana's I have seen at this age.

20200623-BH3I0379.jpg

Looks like D.  JP from here.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

:interesting:

I like all of them...  whatever their names are.

Edited by TomJ

On 6/23/2020 at 6:04 PM, Tracy said:

20200623-BH3I0379.jpg

Hey Tracy, As those narrow leaflets become more irregular it reminds me of a palm I have in the ground here that I bought from Floribunda as Dypsis Pilulifera.  I'll try to get a photo of it this weekend and post here.  It was the same as yours, very regular narrow leaflets to start and just started show irregularity now.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, Tracy said:

:wacko:  It is like a deck of cards that is continually reshuffled for names.

I have a D malcomberi hybrid that stalled a while back after the neighbor's King palm dropped a frond from about 20 feet above it on it's crown.  It has two spears neither of which are open with the newest creeping along and the older one has looked like it's cracking open for about 3 months but never actually does.  It was slow before that incident, but the one I posted as D "JPark" has been a bit faster than that malcomberi ever was.

I just recently pulled out a good sized Dypsis Malcomberi Hybrid out of my yard.  It was not fast at all, but the my big issue was that it never held good looking leaves.  There was always severe burn looking marks on the leaflets and it just didn't look good.  I'm learning that just because something is a Dypsis Hybrid doesn't mean it's going to be a fast growing or good looking palm.  I have another one on the chopping block here that is a Dypsis Albofarinosa hybrid.  I'm giving it til the end of summer and that's it! 

On a somewhat related note, I have seen 3-4 different palms in established gardens here on the Big Island with the "Malcomberi" name on them.  Seems like a name that was used quite a bit years ago when some of these plants must have come in that are now clearly different from each other.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I just recently pulled out a good sized Dypsis Malcomberi Hybrid out of my yard.  It was not fast at all, but the my big issue was that it never held good looking leaves.  There was always severe burn looking marks on the leaflets and it just didn't look good.  I'm learning that just because something is a Dypsis Hybrid doesn't mean it's going to be a fast growing or good looking palm.  I have another one on the chopping block here that is a Dypsis Albofarinosa hybrid.  I'm giving it til the end of summer and that's it! 

On a somewhat related note, I have seen 3-4 different palms in established gardens here on the Big Island with the "Malcomberi" name on them.  Seems like a name that was used quite a bit years ago when some of these plants must have come in that are now clearly different from each other.  

Got a Dypsis "confusion-ya"? Maybe that should be a species name? :floor:  I have a few of them growing in the yard.  I should probably yank the D malcomberi hybrid, but it's hard to give up on something.  The speed of growth there in Hawaii probably makes the decision a lot easier than here, where a bit more patience is required on everything.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 11:09 AM, Hilo Jason said:

My robusta is growing but it's sensitive to both winter cold and the hot dry Santa Ana days.  As it grows up it will have more Westerly afternoon exposure as it grows up over the height of that part of the house.  When I planted it, the Phoenix roebelenii adjacent to it also provided some shade, but not really much anymore.  The only reason the roebenii gets to stay is that I can still hang some small orchids on a stick from it.  Eventually it will go and I'll put something else, non-palm in it's spot that will fill in nicely as an under story plant.  I'm hopeful that the Dypsis robusta will continue to acclimate to more sun as it gets bigger.

20200623-BH3I0381.jpg

20200623-BH3I0383.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Tracy said:

My robusta is growing but it's sensitive to both winter cold and the hot dry Santa Ana days.  As it grows up it will have more Westerly afternoon exposure as it grows up over the height of that part of the house.  When I planted it, the Phoenix roebelenii adjacent to it also provided some shade, but not really much anymore.  The only reason the roebenii gets to stay is that I can still hang some small orchids on a stick from it.  Eventually it will go and I'll put something else, non-palm in it's spot that will fill in nicely as an under story plant.  I'm hopeful that the Dypsis robusta will continue to acclimate to more sun as it gets bigger.

20200623-BH3I0381.jpg

20200623-BH3I0383.jpg

Thats a great looking Dypsis Robusta for California. I rarely saw many that were larger than a 3 gallon size plant, with the exception of Mardy Darian’s.  I wonder if some extra water would help it burn less (at least in the warmer months). Mine is planted in some pretty heavy soil and I get 150 - 200” of rain a year. So they can handle a lot of water! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/26/2020 at 7:45 PM, Hilo Jason said:

Hey Tracy, As those narrow leaflets become more irregular it reminds me of a palm I have in the ground here that I bought from Floribunda as Dypsis Pilulifera.  I'll try to get a photo of it this weekend and post here.  It was the same as yours, very regular narrow leaflets to start and just started show irregularity now.

Here are those photos of what I bought a Dypsis Pilulifera from Floribunda. Planted as a 1 gallon plant, about 2 years ago (I can find the original planting photo of you like).  

Leaflets going irregular:

58826E3F-7C5F-432E-AA47-8818A326301E.thumb.jpeg.bb0339a5f83e19ce514b8ca5d37ef5cc.jpeg

overall with Rocky for scale:

6BF98912-61A4-47C9-9629-7BF3DCFF3FB0.thumb.jpeg.86155c8231cc8faa9cc3c0353b935770.jpeg

You’ll see in the second photo that I have the fronds tied up as they got too heavy to support their own weight and were wanting to lay all the way on the ground. Seems common with several of these types of Dypsis. They get ahead of themselves! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tracy. That Robusta is growing killer for you mine has been slow until I just upped the water on it and it seems to be happier Thats interesting you and Jason had the same experience with the malcomberi hybrid . Mine just struggled along and i finally yanked it out 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, akamu said:

That Robusta is growing killer for you mine has been slow until I just upped the water on it and it seems to be happier

I was a little worried about winter rain and it getting too much water during storms because I have a raingutter downspout that discharges into that small planter it is in, but that hasn't been a problem.  It is right next to my outdoor shower, so when I'm waiting for the water to warm up after a morning surf, I've started spraying the cold water over the shower and giving the Dypsis robusta a little extra drink.  I'll continue giving it more water and see how it fares this summer.  Thanks for the suggestion on that Adam & Jason!

Jason, I like the look of that Floribunda Dypsis pilulifera you posted.  I will be happy if mine continues trending toward that look as long as it remains somewhat upright.  It's a bit close to the driveway, and I know my wife won't be happy if the fronds start drooping over the driveway, as she uses that side of the garage to park.

Tracy - Here's a picture of when this Dypsis Pilulifera was planted in January 2018.  So 2.5 years from planting as a 1 gallon plant. 

IMG_0388.thumb.JPG.5d0cc958e70ef0b06bb4c9697930ad1c.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My larger Dypsis prestoniana has two inflorescense with the more mature one pictured below.  It seems to get to this stage but the buds fall off rather than opening as flowers unlike some other Dypsis in the garden.  I have seen the same with my Dypsis lanceolata, which sometimes opens nice little flowers that attract bees, but other times the buds seem to fall off without ever opening into flowers.  I'm wondering if it could correlate to lack of heat or something else.  We are just coming out of a couple week long period of the sun not breaking through the marine layer until late morning or early afternoon.  Temps are mild during these times with a hi/low swing of 6 or 7 degrees.  Most things received a second dose of time released palm fertilizer (Palm Plus) about 3 weeks ago.   If I didn't see this happen intermittently with my lanceolata, I would probably assume that the prestoniana was just still pubescent and would grow out of this with age.  Any thoughts or similar experiences with inflorescence not flowering?

20200731-BH3I0710.jpg

20200731-BH3I0714.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 10:49 PM, Hilo Jason said:

Ruthless editing is essential for a well-tended garden.    Rocky is looking good !  :greenthumb:

San Francisco, California

On 12/23/2019 at 2:16 PM, Tracy said:

It has been a while since I looked at this thread but was thinking about it as I look at the two plants now.  Still significantly different in size and overall appearance the fronds on the smaller one are clearly more recurved than the larger Dypsis prestoniana (larger is in background of second photo and in the center of the first photo).  The trunk on the smaller one, which is in the second photo up front has never gained the thickness, yet they both get the same treatment.  Clearly they are different.  My question is whether the smaller variety is a hybrid or just another one of the variants of Dypsis prestoniana.  Feel free to share photos of your Dypsis prestonianas for comparison.

20191222-104A5380.jpg

20191208-104A5233-2.jpg

Hi Tracy, I am very late to this discussion. I have a D. prestoniana and a Dypsis that was sold to me as 'Jurassic Park.' People would tell me they were both prestoniana, but they looked different to me -- exactly like your 2 palms shown above. Your taller one looks like my classic prestoniana, the smaller one resembles what was labeled 'Jurassic Park.' It has since been clarified to me that D. prestoniana is variable and both are D. prestoniana, according to Suchin Marcus. The taller one didn't produce flowers for the longest time; the JP prestoniana put out a huge inflorescence at a comparatively young age. The seeds are slightly different shape, but about the same size. 

Mislabeling is common with Dypsis, especially seed procured 20 years ago.  

I have another big Dypsis that was sold by Floribunda as D. canaliculata in 2002; if you look up the palm, it hasn't been seen since 1951, is believed to be extinct in the wild, and the flowers are "unknown to science." So what is the palm? It is a Dypsis mystery.  Someone commented recently that it looked like their D. prestoniana, but to me they look very different.  And I'm going to be really disappointed if it turns out to be yet another D. prestoniana!  

Can someone remind me what OCWS stands for? :lol::rolleyes:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You can spot all 3 palms in this photo. 

9EC7A044-A3A2-4946-97CE-7199AA3E2DEE.thumb.jpeg.2d21c5c577df18a513e48a36cc21e04c.jpeg

• Like 3

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, Tracy said:

3 gallon ??

What does a 15 look like ??

12 hours ago, Kim said:

You can spot all 3 palms in this photo. 

9EC7A044-A3A2-4946-97CE-7199AA3E2DEE.thumb.jpeg.2d21c5c577df18a513e48a36cc21e04c.jpeg

Wow Kim, that is a great photo of those 3 palms (plus many other gems)!

Any flowers on your Canaliculata yet?

On 8/1/2020 at 6:46 AM, Kim said:

Can someone remind me what OCWS stands for? :lol::rolleyes:

Yes - Darold got it right - Orange Crownshaft White Stem - a legendary and "mythical" Mardy Darian collected palm that I believe has been determined to have turned out to be Dypsis robusta. At least in my book it has.

Edit: meant to say OCWS is IMO probably a form of Dypsis prestoniana - the Darian palm that he named "White Stem" is IMO Dypsis robusta.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

On 8/1/2020 at 7:17 PM, Hilo Jason said:

Wow Kim, that is a great photo of those 3 palms (plus many other gems)!

Any flowers on your Canaliculata yet?

Not yet... waiting and waiting.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

• 5 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 10:45 PM, Hilo Jason said:

As those narrow leaflets become more irregular it reminds me of a palm I have in the ground here that I bought from Floribunda as Dypsis Pilulifera.  I'll try to get a photo of it this weekend and post here.  It was the same as yours, very regular narrow leaflets to start and just started show irregularity now.

Yes, this had the even spaced leaflets when it was smaller but as this new leaf opens, the groupings of leaflets coming off the rachis is becoming even more apparent.  I just hope this looks different than my two Dypsis prestonianas which have very different structure and size differences.  It takes a lot longer for these to mature over here than in Hilo, as you well know Jason; the reveal is thus a slow process.  My wife doesn't call it one of my twigs anymore though.

20210119-BH3I2258.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:04 AM, Tracy said:

Good, so there is hope for both of mine!  Thank you for sharing Joe.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:57 AM, joe_OC said:

There are a lot of seedlings around from Bill Sanford's prestoniana.

I've been away too long and should post an update as my driveway is clear at the moment. I should first clarify that while mine has had TONS of seeds in the past, not sure if any popped. I believe Gary Levine had some viable seeds pop.

I DID have some seeds VERY fertile from my slick Willie next to my big curley and I really did not spread them out much as I was worried they might be like the Prestos.. which by the way was flowering at same time as the slick willie.. might be some hybrids there.

Also my JDA D. malcomberi is starting to do well with 6 foot leaves.  

Hope to post some pics to update soon.

• Like 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!