IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone Growing Attalea Palms In Pots?

PalmTreeDude

I've kept butyracea in 14" treepots for a year or two, then planted them after their roots outgrew the pot. This is not a palm for pot culture unless your pot is the size of an SUV.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I grow an Attalea cohune (in my bathroom, so far) and several Attalea phalerata (which I grew from seeds). What I find remarkable: from two of those (approx. 10) seeds came a double seedling ("twin" - sorry, I forgot the scientific term).

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)

39 minutes ago, Oliver K. said:

I grow an Attalea cohune (in my bathroom, so far) and several Attalea phalerata (which I grew from seeds). What I find remarkable: from two of those (approx. 10) seeds came a double seedling ("twin" - sorry, I forgot the scientific term).

»Attalea is therefore the only genus in Cocoseae in which there is a trend of increasing seed number, with commonly 3-6 seeds per fruit in many species and up to 8 in some species, …« (Rodriguez del Castillo et al. (2016) in Palms 60(3), p.111)

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

18 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

»Attalea is therefore the only genus in Cocoseae in which there is a trend of increasing seed number, with commonly 3-6 seeds per fruit in many species and up to 8 in some species, …« (Rodriguez del Castillo et al. (2016) in Palms 60(3), p.111)

I had these twins and triplets wits Jubaea, Butia and Syagrus as well. And offtopic even had a Loxococcus rupicola twin seed, but I guess that's just freak of nature.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

No not good for long term pot growing. They have pretty aggressive roots. But again they do grow pretty slow, so you can grow it for a long time before it gets too big.

These are so impressive. I just got four seeds of A. cohune but two floated. Now I know I might get more than a max of two seedlings!

Cindy Adair

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016, 3:31:10, Fishmoose said:

Here's one of mine in my 6 hectare pot in Costa :P

image.thumb.jpeg.8e140fc4724ea4500e41886

That is one large and impressive palm!   I know who / where I'll be going to visit if / when I come to Costa Rica.  :-)

On November 22, 2016 at 02:43:03, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

That is one large and impressive palm!   I know who / where I'll be going to visit if / when I come to Costa Rica.  :-)

Wait a little to visit. Very wet as of late...

Zone 13 

450' jungle river up to 700' open sun B)

7 hours ago, Fishmoose said:

Wait a little to visit. Very wet as of late...

Yes I have been watching Hurricane Otto.  Hope it wasn't too bad for you.  

A. colenda. Already 3' to 4' leaves and keep getting blown by the wind. Their roots don't seem to ever anchor to the ground so it seems to be a great container palm.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes