IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The best/favorite palm in your yard

Sabal Steve

They look way too tropical to hang in my frosty 9b environment, but I'm going to take a leap of faith based on what my central FL friends say. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, topwater said:

They look way too tropical to hang in my frosty 9b environment, but I'm going to take a leap of faith based on what my central FL friends say. 

A lot of prayer and some candles to St. Jude won't hurt, either.

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My choice is the parajubaea torallyi var.torally. 

Humid climate/atlantic sea

Soil-neutral to acid

Good for cultivate, the kiwis (Actinidia deliciosa)

DSC_0034_5.JPG

DSC_0028_7.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 15

so far my best palm should be my "Howea belmoreana"...is happy here so far and has opened two spears since I plant it 3 months ago...I am waiting for its flowering now :)

anyone knows when I should expect that ?

IMG_8817.JPG

IMG_8816.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

On 11/8/2016, 2:11:00, enigma99 said:

Tough one! I am going to go with this palm :)

IMG_0199.jpg

Didn't even realize it until I saw this picture again but I have a K.O. opening a spear in it and now it's completely open. Missed it :( guess that's what happens when everything is crunched together

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's gotta be this one. New leaf just opened a week ago. 9+ feet tall.

It has a perpetual red leaf - newest leaf stays red for 6-12 weeks until a new one opens.

Pictures taken this morning:

3NwgMo1.jpg

cNlQd7a.jpg

VlQhetA.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 15

Can't limit it to one... and if I'm walking fast, I can't apply Pauleen's true quote as it takes me longer to pronounce some than walk by..lol. Soooo

Not gonna play. :P

BUT, Steve, I like your idea enough to make a modified suggestion. Awww heck, I'll start a thread for it and give you credit..

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well.....for the next 12 hours or so. Such a little jewel, always perfect, always beaming, Calyptrocalyx leptostachys. Honest, no photoshop or enhancement whatsoever. 

Tim

IMG_0223.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 14

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

30 minutes ago, realarch said:

Well.....for the next 12 hours or so. Such a little jewel, always perfect, always beaming, Calyptrocalyx leptostachys. Honest, no photoshop or enhancement whatsoever. 

Tim

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_5600.GIF.6a7a71a49763359373c3991c9d8

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/9/2016, 10:34:11, topwater said:

I think KO can handle 9B, maybe not forever, but for probably decades barring some 1989-type event. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, realarch said:

Tim

IMG_0223.jpg

Ahhhh, what a beauty.

I tried two (yeah, haha), one even survived a winter. It defoliated but came back the next summer, but it was gone the next winter. These are a big NOPE in SoCal.

Sorry, no pictures. But lately for me it's my few Cyrtostachys renda "hybrids". I have them 12-15' and looking ohh so beautiful. Sorry....

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

22 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Sorry, no pictures. But lately for me it's my few Cyrtostachys renda "hybrids". I have them 12-15' and looking ohh so beautiful. Sorry....

PICTURES!

Expletive!

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 2016年11月21日 16:45:54, realarch said:

Tim

IMG_0223.jpg

First thing I did after seeing this one, I checked rps' site immediately.... Unfortunately not available....

Breathtakingly beautiful! Thank you for posting!

best regards

Thanks for the comment, I really can't say enough about this little palm. I've got about 20 of them in the garden, most from seed which are easy to germinate.

You might try Floribunda here in Hawaii, they usually have seedlings available. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

7 hours ago, realarch said:

Thanks for the comment, I really can't say enough about this little palm. I've got about 20 of them in the garden, most from seed which are easy to germinate.

You might try Floribunda here in Hawaii, they usually have seedlings available. 

Tim

Thank you very much for your reply! I am currently checking out if floribunda may send seedlings internationally (esp. to Japan) -

personally I think it is possible, but I am wondering if there are any restrictions or delays which may cause damages to the plant

and because of a U$ 300(!) minimum of an international order I would like to know in advance if there are any experiences regarding this matter..

Anyway, thank you very much again for providing this piece of information -

best regards

Right now, my Ravenea rivularis, it's my largest palm, it's nearly as tall as me (including the pot). I expected to keep it as an annual, a nice sized cheap palm to hold me over until my other palms grew larger. But I've grown to love the look, the speed, and just how easy they are to keep happy (knock on wood). And it looks so tropical when the wind blows, instant mood booster.

• 3 weeks later...

While tempted to go with my Malay Dwarf Coconut, I have to stick with the "kid" that gives me the least amount of trouble.  The largest of my seed grown date palms.  It doesn't require extra attention in the winter, grows like a weed, is now able to set fruit, and at this point, is not suckering like the other 3.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 3 years later...

Huh, I got remembered of this thread by a reaction of another pt-member.

I took a look at the photo I posted then in 2016...

001x.thumb.jpg.1b3bde261d17232aa1f4944e7

...and just went out to take another one from exactly the same position...

aa01.thumb.jpg.8467572762ac3331c2480a13b39005e8.jpg

Wow, for four years - not bad I would say! ;)

aa02.thumb.jpg.f941489b1f9346a57958e8aea1666767.jpg

Yes, Alexander palms are definitely doing very well over here.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Inspired by @palmfriend’s post I add mine, showing my L weddellianum N°1301 also almost 4 years later, still in the same (!) now small looking double-pot:

On 11/21/2016 at 7:02 PM, Pal Meir said:

Not a spectacular species, and also not so rare as my Lytocaryum insigne or L itapebiense, but my first love: :wub:

583336015c62a_N13012016-11-21IMG_9073.th

The growing conditions at present: 23°C / 50% at my home office yard. :rolleyes:

And today: :o

1927784099_N13012020-09-26P1050542.thumb.jpg.429049ed91fbf1e509b6f3cc7cba89ac.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

My Hydriastele (Gulubia) costata!

Fruiting now. 

054E213A-FFC4-4B7E-8475-738CCB35D757.jpeg

8A6B9A13-A904-428E-AF91-988F46922E9B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

For today, satakentia luikensis is a palm I enjoy gazing on.  The heavy rains seem to have made them very happy.  This palm was from Ken Johnson (1 of 2), planted august 2019.  Seems like it barely missed a beat.

satakentia_sept2020CS.jpg

satakentia_sept2020n2.jpg

• Like 8

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I know it's a common palm but I really like our Bismarkia.    I never got around to running water to it, but it doesn't seem to mind.  It is totally xeric, and it is starting to get a little size.  It is just big, blue silver, and cool.

Bismarkia nobilis.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

On 11/7/2016 at 11:55 AM, 5150cycad said:

Beccariophoenix Alfredii

I will eventually need to move this palm. It is a very steady grower and pushes about 3-4 leaves a year. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So did you move it?

How'd it go?

• Upvote 1

I am not sure what kind of salacca this is but it looks like a dwarf magnifica. It is starting to cluster and shoot these runners out that you can make other plants from

16012275389297554655419510046497.jpg

16012275729841655998707991645046.jpg

16012275957748822909005702939031.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

My favorite is lantania lontaroides, always looks great. Even after severe storms.  Wish I planted alot more of them years ago.

IMG_20200927_130132.jpg

IMG_20200927_130021.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

My favorite is the golden malayan coco. 

1601419917738414799691781131111.jpg

IMG-20200929-WA0098.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 9/26/2020 at 7:00 AM, TikiRick said:

My Hydriastele (Gulubia) costata!

Fruiting now. 

054E213A-FFC4-4B7E-8475-738CCB35D757.jpeg

8A6B9A13-A904-428E-AF91-988F46922E9B.jpeg

I think this one is worth seeing twice.  One of my favorites.  Top 50 for sure.  Beautiful palm Rick, thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

I love them all! But lately I've been feeling my Brahea Edulis. Super common i know. Its been my most rigorous grower & has pumped out a ton of leaves this season.  Positive I'll have another favorite next year :D

20200930_083951.thumb.jpg.93350c36c3418376f13196e2e95f54c2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Gotta be my Pseudophoenix vinifera

Pseudophoenix vinifera-20200901_084847.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 4

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

3 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Gotta be my Pseudophoenix vinifera

Pseudophoenix vinifera-20200901_084847.jpg

How old is it? Very pretty!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

22 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

How old is it? Very pretty!

I'm guessing about 16 years in the ground.  Most likely planted as a 1 gal plant.  Mahalo.  The bees love it when if flowers.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

On 11/9/2016 at 9:25 PM, topwater said:

I've been looking for a KO forever, got two last week. 

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

Did these survive the 2018 freeze?

I think I would have to say my royal is my favorite because it’s a very tropical palm to grow in Phoenix and at the end of the hottest summer ever blowing away heat records we’re in our 132 day of 100 or better degree days this year and it looks unfaised.

7D1FBEF6-35A5-4B5F-9BD4-B928626594B3.jpeg

7D821497-E969-4873-8A94-5D1DAE23A4FD.jpeg

• Like 7