IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The best/favorite palm in your yard

Sabal Steve

My dypsis leptocheilos has done fantastic so far. It has been a very fast grower and hasn't been bothered one bit by the intense Florida sun... We will see how it does in the winter but so far it is a winner!

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

It's difficult to pick a favorite, but everyone notices the Dypsis leptocheilos, so I'll stand with RedRabbit. I'm in Key Largo so no soil here, a couple of inches at best then coral rock. The only way I can grow this species is by jackhammering a 48" dia. by 32" deep hole and filling with topsoil and silica sand about 2 to 1 mix. Then a lot of irrigation. I've done this for a lot of species that are not growable here due to soil but like the climate. I have an amazing Clinostigma samoense and an absolute stud Calyptronoma occidentalis. Here's a picture of one D. lepto.IMG_20161030_175150_623.thumb.jpg.e37ab9

• Like 2
  • Upvote 15

39 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

My dypsis leptocheilos has done fantastic so far. It has been a very fast grower and hasn't been bothered one bit by the intense Florida sun... We will see how it does in the winter but so far it is a winner!

I like these too.  Could you post a pic when you have a free moment?

Favorite and best grower? Probably Beccariophoenix alfredii. Growing conditions are humid subtropical 10a with occasional 9b winters (28˚ in 2010). Rainfall is 50" per year, mostly falling in summer. Soil is mostly sand. Exposure is mostly full sun. Palm is 6 years old from seed. Newest fronds are 11' tall, and the palm is 10" wide at the base.

IMG_6979.thumb.jpg.7ec4eb2ea19a113a9e3fb

• Like 2
  • Upvote 12

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Outside of the Queens, probably go with my JxS:

14232999_10153692051052234_5302073994543

That thing is growing fast!

• Upvote 4

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

19 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

That thing is growing fast!

Yeah, it's motoring, and I love that it grows well in cool weather.  Still really pushing hard now, though we're still in the mid-70s so I guess it should be.  I also have an alfredii doing really well that might be in my top 5.  Love those palms as well!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

JUST ONE? :rant:

Hell hath no fury . ..

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I love my Sabal causiarum or whatever it is. Not the rarest thing I have but I can't help but smile when I look at it. 

• Upvote 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

3 hours ago, atlantisrising said:

It's difficult to pick a favorite, but everyone notices the Dypsis leptocheilos, so I'll stand with RedRabbit. I'm in Key Largo so no soil here, a couple of inches at best then coral rock. The only way I can grow this species is by jackhammering a 48" dia. by 32" deep hole and filling with topsoil and silica sand about 2 to 1 mix. Then a lot of irrigation. I've done this for a lot of species that are not growable here due to soil but like the climate. I have an amazing Clinostigma samoense and an absolute stud Calyptronoma occidentalis. Here's a picture of one D. lepto.IMG_20161030_175150_623.thumb.jpg.e37ab9

That is a sharp looking Palm there Stephen.  I would love to see that in person sometime.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am growing different species but I am often looking a moment longer than usual when I check my wonderful

Dypsis pembanas. They are growing pretty fast, do not show damage because of a typhoon (at least until now),

don`t need much care, the developing trunk sits solidly in the ground and they are just looking nice.

Here is one - I am sorry, two of them...

001x.thumb.jpg.1b3bde261d17232aa1f4944e7

best regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

A Dypsis Lastelliana I planted back in Dec 1997 is one of my favorites.  It's been a slow but a steady grower over the years.     It handles very hot and dry conditions as well as the odd winter frost effortlessly.

2ujqaah.jpg

• Upvote 14

9 hours ago, BPK Palm Addict said:

That is a sharp looking Palm there Stephen.  I would love to see that in person sometime.  

Be happy to show you my collection. I have at least 60 species in the ground and 30 more in pots. Bit of OCD I'm afraid. Just PM me a few days ahead.

Most noticeable and very fast grower: Cocos nucifera Dwarf Red Spicata

58209d18a74d4_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica58209d24a1960_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Beccariophoenix Alfredii

I will eventually need to move this palm. It is a very steady grower and pushes about 3-4 leaves a year. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 11

For today, I pick Clinostigma samoense.  I love looking up at those perfect fronds, and the white coloration and leaf-scar pattern on the trunk is so gorgeous.

DSC_0166.thumb.jpg.cf5565042d0bb55e1ac5a

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

7 hours ago, Kim said:

For today, I pick Clinostigma samoense.  I love looking up at those perfect fronds, and the white coloration and leaf-scar pattern on the trunk is so gorgeous.

It is definitely a winner - I am really looking forward to my young ones. I hope they will do well over here in a long term while...

...looking good ;)

best regards

Oh, just put up a pretty palm picture and call it your favorite for the minute. :wub:  Palm lovers are allowed to be fickle with their plants.  As in, "Oooooo I love that new red Chambeyronia frond," then the next day, "Aaaaaaah, isn't that the most stunning Copernicia you've ever seen?" and five minutes later, "I'm in love with the Carpoxylon, no doubt about it!"  We don't care, we just want to see pretty palm pictures! :lol:

• Upvote 5

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Oh, just put up a pretty palm picture and call it your favorite for the minute. :wub:  Palm lovers are allowed to be fickle with their plants.  As in, "Oooooo I love that new red Chambeyronia frond," then the next day, "Aaaaaaah, isn't that the most stunning Copernicia you've ever seen?" and five minutes later, "I'm in love with the Carpoxylon, no doubt about it!"  We don't care, we just want to see pretty palm pictures! :lol:

You think like I do!  

My favorite here is Raphia farinifera.  I bought a pot with 10 or so sprouted seedlings from MB Palms at a sale in 2014.  Planted this one on a canal edge and fertilize it regularly. It's starting to get a fat trunk and the tip of the top frond is a solid 11 ft (3.3 m). The fronds are long and pretty and the deep orange on the rachis is nice too :)

IMG_1122.thumb.JPG.48f2c3e647929cff850ab

IMG_1124.thumb.PNG.5e2dea27c2803e7cfa14c

• Like 3
  • Upvote 8

The late Pauleen Sullivan said that her favorite was "the one I'm looking at now" ! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

San Francisco, California

...since my P. pacifica croaked a few years back, and my Joey and my Itaya amicorum are still small, I going nominate my Areca catechu dwarf.

IMG_3668.JPG.68cdd66b3a024c27849e57ae180

• Like 4
  • Upvote 15

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Teddy bear is certainly a fave

IMG_1665.thumb.JPG.eb1b88637e9cd0e02a598IMG_1666.thumb.JPG.77439ed64c5c2fdec4cbfIMG_1669.thumb.JPG.9d7a6110a9bd1f4b03457

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I will have to run with Kim and the quote from the late Pauleen Sullivan; my favorite is always changing, and likely the one I'm looking at.  So I will follow up with the other portion of the initial question regarding what is doing well in my garden.  It is also the palm that non-palm people who visit are most likely to ask about.  It is the Dypsis prestoniana.  20161024-104A4473.thumb.jpg.d5defa7fc554

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Recently moved into our new home in SW Florida and this handsome Golden Malayan coco is nicely established in the back yard. So far this is my current favorite. 

backyard palm 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 12

5 minutes ago, RR soFLA said:

Recently moved into our new home in SW Florida and this handsome Golden Malayan coco is nicely established in the back yard. So far this is my current favorite. 

backyard palm 1.jpg

Wow! That looks like a painting!

Great choice.

best regards

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

The late Pauleen Sullivan said that her favorite was "the one I'm looking at now" ! :)

Oh, there is a lot of truth in it...

best regards

• Upvote 3

If you can't look

At the one you love

Love the one you're looking at . . . .

doo doo doo doo doo doo doo-doo! doo-doo-doo!

• Upvote 1

On Monday, November 07, 2016 2:49:38, palmfriend said:

I am growing different species but I am often looking a moment longer than usual when I check my wonderful

Dypsis pembanas. They are growing pretty fast, do not show damage because of a typhoon (at least until now),

don`t need much care, the developing trunk sits solidly in the ground and they are just looking nice.

Here is one - I am sorry, two of them...

001x.thumb.jpg.1b3bde261d17232aa1f4944e7

best regards

Your palms in your photo are Archontophoenix not Dypsis pembana

Mike Ricigliano

New Smyrna beach

Florida, zone 9 Beachside

30 minutes ago, Ricigliano said:

Your palms in your photo are Archontophoenix not Dypsis pembana

Oh, thank you for clarifying! I have to confess that I have mixed up seeds a while ago when

I ordered a lot while starting with the palm growing hobby. 

I tried very hard to recall which was what after getting aware of my mistake but it was not possible...

The big question is now, what are those other palms that I until now considered as my Archontophoenix...?:unsure:

However, thank you very much again - and to avoid hijacking this topic, my honest apologies and I would like

to correct my statement herewith:

My Archontophoenix are at the moment the best and fastest growing palms in my yard - they are beautiful

and fast growing and therefore seems to like our climate/local conditions very much.

best regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Glenn Harris showed me a few weeks ago at the meeting at Ben's house.  You can't believe how proud I am of this...finally, being able to contribute.  It is so simple on my IPhone, sign in, post, add picture, send.  It's about time... Even John couldn't figure it out, when he read the directions on PalmTalk.  Cecile

My second favorite palm is the Brahea Mooreii at the left of the picture, its not a great shot of it, but, its on my avatar.  Found this palm in Portland, Oregon at Cistus Nursery when I was at a Rock Garden meeting.  I met a woman during dinner who lived in New York, and she said, Shawn (owner of Cistus) sent her palms all the time.  I was afraid to trust them with shipping, so didn't buy the three others.  I met Glenn a few years later, and discovered he had bought the rest.  Just a few weeks before this meeting I had met Dick Douglas for the first time, and visited his garden, hoping he had a B. Mooreii to see in person, and also took home some my first palms.  His comment was, that the last time he heard they were available was ten years before, and he missed the boat and never got one. Small palm world.

Just a note, if anyone is interested, the plastic, refrigerator drawer on the wall is filled with moist, medium grade, river sand.  The Czech rock gardeners do their cuttings Spring and Fall, in some facsimile type boxes, cover, and keep in filtered light if done over Summer.  I have found this method almost foolproof.  I dip in Clonex rooting gel first.  I do all my cuttings this way, except for succulents. Cecile

I am liking the B. Alfredii at the moment;

Alfredii.thumb.jpg.d14ed2b7b368beaa42023

• Like 2
  • Upvote 11

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member