IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Long Hot Summer - down under

Peter G

Having a cool summer over here. Only averaging 10.5C mins at night for Jan. About 28C avg max during the day though. My Bauhinia is only now putting on leaves and opening a couple of flowers. Things are growing though, but it doesn't feel like a real summer even for down here. We get spikes of summer where the night min will be around 14, 15C, but then it all turns to crap the moment a low pressure system passes to the south and blows a force ten gale. Maybe Feb will be better though.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well this would have to be the coolest summer I've ever experienced in my life before. Jan averaged 10.4C min and 27.5C max. The mins were about 3 to 4C down on this time last year. Yesterday morning was 6.9C min and this morning 5C. Something has to swing back or this winter will be just unthinkably cold. Meanwhile the east coast is having the hottest summer on record in some places. Sydney's had the hottest summer on record so far.

Still, everything is growing well, although a couple of months late.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Very mild for a Perth Summer, just checked the outlook and nothing above 32c for the next 7 days, getting down to 23c! Next Friday.

Normally associate Feb with those scorchers the exceed 38c and screw the garden up pretty bad.

already starting to dread the thought of another cold, windy season. Can only hope it isn't as bad as the last one

• Upvote 1

Could have a cyclone round North West Cape and come down the west coast come next weekend. Gonna be a bit of rain in it I reckon.

It has been a bit cooler over here in Adelaide too with almost regular rain. The coming week looks a bit more like the summer we are used to.

Screenshot_20170204-201209.thumb.png.f43

• Upvote 1

If you can spare some warmth, we could use some up our way.... todays maximum 4°C / 39°F.

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 1

Just checked the long range forecast for the tropical low/cyclone and so far the map has it very close to Perth and the lower capes ( naturaliste and Leuwin) on Friday Saturday. By the time it's that far south it would likely be a cold core extropical system but the synoptic situation looks interesting. It could be like another tc alby that happened back in 1978. The northerlies sucked all the red dust into the air and then it rained thick red mud on everything for miles.

We're finally getting the desert country's weather. Over the past couple of months the monsoon trough and tropical lows have been way down south in the Centre and many of the desert communities were getting over 200mm rain in a day. But finally we've got a decent monsoonal flow going over us. For the 24 hours up to 9AM this morning I got 180.6mm and lots of other places nearby got well over 200mm.

Day temperatures have been well down, not much change between day and night, from 24.1 to 27. Relative humidity was 99% most of the night and in the mid to high 90's for most of the day.

My plants, apart from the epiphytes in trees, are all treading water and my dam is well and truelly overflowing. If the rain lets up I'll have to go canoeing to check everything out.

The tropical low that's expected to intensify near North West Cape will likely drag the monsoon trough to the south, but we should have it until the end of the week.

Depending on the forecast we could get anywhere from 40-120mm of rain from about Thursday on to about Sunday. Especially heavy around Friday where we could get 80mm of rain in thunderstorms. The night temps have shot up, so maybe this is the weather event which will bring our nights back to the normal levels they should be. We drove though some heavy falls north of the Stirling ranges yesterday. Great to see salty rivers filling with water. Once south of the Stirlings it died off a bit. We had to drive a gravel road through the Stirlings and it was pretty slippery.

It's 7am and Perth has had 112mm of rain since 9am yesterday. I think the record for Perth is 122mm of rain in a 24hr period. The rain down here started at 1am and we've had 10mm so far officially, but there is a huge band of slow moving rain centred on the line of Perth to Albany and that is due to probably give us a good 24hrs of steady rain down here. The low is now out in the Indian Ocean and that will suck moisture off the indian Ocean and hopefully direct it down here. After that I'm hoping for some warm humid weather and high dew points. :D

A bit of flooding around. Wagin is cutoff after getting 174mm in 14hrs. Albany hwy was cutoff for a while at the Williams bridge. Expecting about 50mm tomorrow. We got 39mm today, which is nothing compared to Wagin and the 114mm for Perth.

Our days of heat are a distant memory now as well. Overall the wet season has been over the top, many areas even down into the central desert country have, and continue to have, above average falls. My December and January totals were a bit below average whilst areas nearby got up to double their averages. February, however, so far I've got one and a half times the average for 11 days into the month. Even if it didn't rain to the end of the month I'd still be above average. But the tropical low in the Gulf that didn't get to cyclone intensity has crossed the coast and is heading this way. If it keeps more to the northern Top End we'll get torrential rain with winds to 100kph Sunday, Monday and Tuesday possibly. A bit further south and we'll miss the worst of it. Still, I prefer this to the dry heat they're getting down in the south east.

Sunday was the hottest february day on record. A bit of scorching on a few things but I ran the sprinkler all day to cool things down. The candles were the major victims.

candles.jpg

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hey Tyrone,

How is your coconut palm doing that you planted in the ground?  Is it still alive?  I have been meaning to ask it's been so long.  Thanks 

On 15 February 2017 12:11:24 AM, wrigjef said:

Hey Tyrone,

How is your coconut palm doing that you planted in the ground?  Is it still alive?  I have been meaning to ask it's been so long.  Thanks 

The one in the Perth garden is dead. Combination of not living there for 3 years and a very wet and cold winter without any extra help from myself. I'm Beccariophoenix alfredii all the way now and they do fine down here. The next coconut I plant will be when I buy a property in NE QLD.

Nice hot day down here today. So far it's peaked at 35.3C. Got a small D carlsmithii opening a spear amongst other things. That's today's highlight anyway.

• Upvote 2

Gonna be a hot day today here. At 9am it was already 33c.

• Upvote 1

Got to 41C in the end. At 6pm it was still 38C. Brutally hot for down here. Balmy night though and dead still. Watering like mad to push growth.

And that's the end of the southern summer down under. For my area and the SW of Oz it was a cool and record wet summer. My temps were way down on previous years.

Summer hasn't finished yet, Adelaide is a few days into a dry sunny period which is more typical of summer.

Screenshot_20170302-123441.thumb.png.1fe

Summer didn't really start here until mid January. Yesterday we had a 34C day, with a few thunderstorms around last night and a min last night of 19.7C which is close to the warmest night I've experienced here. Hot and humid again today too. Been pumping the go juice like mad on the garden and things are growing.

• Upvote 1