IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Long Hot Summer - down under

Peter G

I'm actually heading up to Perth in 30 minutes. I'm wearing shorts not jeans today.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I'm actually heading up to Perth in 30 minutes. I'm wearing shorts not jeans today.

Drop by for a brewski, got some Bintangs ;)

On 5 November 2016 8:56:25 AM, Peter G said:

Drop by for a brewski, got some Bintangs ;)

Thanks Peter. That would have been great if we had more time. It was a fly in fly out sort of visit. We got to our old place around noon. Did a bit of cleaning up of the garden and took a trip to the tip. Then I got some retic gear for the place then had a rest as we were knackered. Then this morning we were back at the place fixing the retic, and taking another load of fronds to the tip. I did do something fun. I bought a couple of fairly large R bauerii's and trailered them home.

But talk about wild temp swings. We left here around 7am with about 15C, we got to Mt Barker and entered the clouds with fog all around and temps around 14C. The fog cleared and by Kojonup it was 22C, Williams was 27C, Armadale 32C, then Belmont was 37-39C depending on the strength of the wind. Within the space of about 2 mins around Welshpool I saw the outside temp go from 32C to 36C. Midland was 39C where we stayed. We went down to Fremantle for fish and chips and the wind had a chill too it so probably a humid 22C by 7pm, went back to Midland around 9pm and it was warm, probably about 28C. We slept with the fan going flat out. This morning when we left Midland it was 31C, then the sea breeze came in and it hovered around 25-29C in Belmont. Out at Wattleup it blew a gale and was 25C. Heading home south it was sunny and 22-27C depending on where you were, then the clouds came in, and within about 15min of travelling the temp dropped from 24C to 14C and it started to rain around Cranbrook. Then a bit further it dropped to 12C and was raining quite a bit. We get home and everything is damp from rain and 15C at 6pm and we were contemplating starting the fire. So for a brief moment we were in summer with thongs and t shirts and now we are back to winter clothing.

We will have to catch up another time. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ha ha , those Bintangs will be waiting for you :)

where did you find the Bauerii? The guy who has a private nursery up in the hills, Armadale way? They will grow nicely for you in Albany.

Palms Galore.

I think that was Tud with that private nursery. Is he still going??

I'm going to be making a few trips up and back in the next few months. Will try and catch up on one of those trips.

I'm really happy with the bauerii. One is starting to trunk and the other is just about to. I've got to get them into the ground. I'm just debating where to plant them for maximum effect and for the best health of the plant. Rhopies don't like wind and we get heaps of it down here. Also they will take a sunnier aspect than up in Perth but I want them to look pristine and winter shade doesn't slow them down like a tropical species would slow down in winter shade so I'm thinking on the south side of some trees with a bit of morning easterly sunshine. I've got to create high spacious canopy here, but I'm not there yet.

Back to normal cool cloudy weather here today. The grass is all wet so it must have drizzled overnight. Perfect Rhopie weather.

12 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Palms Galore.

I think that was Tud with that private nursery. Is he still going??

I'm going to be making a few trips up and back in the next few months. Will try and catch up on one of those trips.

I'm really happy with the bauerii. One is starting to trunk and the other is just about to. I've got to get them into the ground. I'm just debating where to plant them for maximum effect and for the best health of the plant. Rhopies don't like wind and we get heaps of it down here. Also they will take a sunnier aspect than up in Perth but I want them to look pristine and winter shade doesn't slow them down like a tropical species would slow down in winter shade so I'm thinking on the south side of some trees with a bit of morning easterly sunshine. I've got to create high spacious canopy here, but I'm not there yet.

Back to normal cool cloudy weather here today. The grass is all wet so it must have drizzled overnight. Perfect Rhopie weather.

Can't remember his name, Mark took me up there last Autumn, surprisingly he had quite a few Rhopies for sale, amongst the Golden Canes and Bangalows.

Might find a bargain up there, he has some decent sized Sapida too.

That sounds like Tud to me. I bought a few things from him about 10 years ago.

Got a schizo forecast for our area.

Fri 12-16C

Sat 12-18C

Sun 10-20C

Mon 12-26C

Tuesday 18-37C!!!!!! 90% 1-5mm rain

Wed 14-19C 80% 5-10mm

We are 4-5C hotter than the forecast so Tuesday could be a 41,42C day!!!!!! in November after such a cold start to the season!!!!! Glad we've had 12mm of rain today and the ground will still be moist come Tuesday. It will be very windy too so a catastrophic fire risk I expect.

38C now forecast for Tue with DFES issuing a catastrophic fire risk for Tuesday. 42,43C looks imminent for my place. Tuesday is the anniversary of the Esperance fires too. Luckily everything near me is green and lush so won't burn in a fire anyway. My ground is still moist. I recorded a 1.5C minimum yesterday too. My temp chart will look seriously schizo this Nov.

Oh no Tyrone I don't want to even think about bushfire, there are controlled burn offs still happening around where I live mostly on private property.

Adelaide enjoyed a perfect day with a high of 35 but it didn't get that hot at my place maybe 32 but a thunderstorm rolled through in the late afternoon dumping heavy rain, golfball sized hail and strong winds. It will be much cooler tomorrow but the heat will return by the end of next week.

We had a few warm days last week.     :D:D

Nerang

Close Precis

Forecast issued at 4:52 am EST on Friday 4 November 2016.

Detailed Nerang Forecast

Fri.4 Nov Sat.5 Nov Sun.6 Nov Mon.7 Nov Tue.8 Nov Wed.9 Nov Thu.10 Nov
Summary storm.pngPossible shower or storm. sunny.pngSunny. sunny.pngSunny. partly-cloudy.pngPartly cloudy. light-showers.pngPossible late shower. showers.pngShower or two. light-showers.pngPossible shower.
Max. Temperature 30 °C 36 °C 31 °C 33 °C 36 °C 34 °C 36 °C
Min. Temperature   14 °C 15 °C 13 °C 16 °C 19 °C 17 °C

Those minimums look a bit low on the forecast though Steve...don't think it got below 20C here, and Nerang is only a degree or so cooler overnight. It has certainly been hot and humid though...and all of the thunderstorms have dumped some good rain.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

12 hours ago, Pip said:

Oh no Tyrone I don't want to even think about bushfire, there are controlled burn offs still happening around where I live mostly on private property.

Adelaide enjoyed a perfect day with a high of 35 but it didn't get that hot at my place maybe 32 but a thunderstorm rolled through in the late afternoon dumping heavy rain, golfball sized hail and strong winds. It will be much cooler tomorrow but the heat will return by the end of next week.

I read about the hail over your way. That's probably the most destructive weather event you can get.

I've become much more aware of bushfires living down here than I used to be living in Perth as my job down here is to service all the fire brigades radio communications networks. We've just spent the last 5 months getting the Great Southern area sorted for this fire season and we have serviced an area about 300km north of here to about 200km wide right down to the coast. Luckily we are about 85% done and will finish near Nornalup (where the giant Karri and Tingle forests are) just before Xmas. On Tuesday I'll actually be servicing my local fire brigade. I've heard on the grape vine that the Denmark brigades are a bit jittery about Tuesdays forecast. Denmark is the next on our list, so I hope they are just too wet to ignite if the unthinkable happens. They are the coolest and wettest district in our area thankfully and we've had rain even this morning. The NE sector out in the wheatbelt is more likely to ignite though as harvest hasn't happened yet. A lot of crop could go up. :(

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Daryl said:

Those minimums look a bit low on the forecast though Steve...don't think it got below 20C here, and Nerang is only a degree or so cooler overnight. It has certainly been hot and humid though...and all of the thunderstorms have dumped some good rain.

Daryl

How much rain did you get in those storms on Tuesday afternoon/evening Daryl ?     We ended up with 59mm all up.    :greenthumb:

We have had a fair bit in the last few storms Steve...not sure on totals though, but everything is pretty green around here...we got 20 mm one night a few weeks ago which kept things going well until the storms of the last week or so...so no plant stress here.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

39C now forecast for Tuesday. The locals think that 25C is hot. I think this is going to be a whacky unpredictable summer coming up.

Luckily rain is forecast in thunderstorms afterwards. Hopefully no dry lightening.

I've postponed planting my Rhopalostylis bauerii's until next weekend when it's much milder.

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

39C now forecast for Tuesday. The locals think that 25C is hot. I think this is going to be a whacky unpredictable summer coming up.

Luckily rain is forecast in thunderstorms afterwards. Hopefully no dry lightening.

I've postponed planting my Rhopalostylis bauerii's until next weekend when it's much milder.

1.5c minimum to 39C max in 48 hours??? That's both hotter and colder than the extreme-ever-recorded figures for the climate station near me! You must have one crazy microclimate there Tyrone. 

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Well not quite 48hrs. The 1.5C recorded was on the 10th and the 39C max is predicted for the 15th. However we did have 3.6C this morning. The 39C is predicted for Albany itself, yet we are 4 to 5C hotter during the day so that could be a 43, 44C day which is just unbelievably hot for down here and for Nov. If it happens it would have to be a record of some sort. Even Perth never got that hot in November ever. This is a completely weird and unheard of year for weather down here. People who have lived here all there lives have never seen weather like we've seen this year. Also it hasn't been dry. We are up to 1040mm of rain so far. If we get a few heavy thunderstorms we may hit 1200mm.

40C forecast now. Denmark has a fire raging. A hotspot from a burn two days ago reignited in the wind. Hopefully they can get it under control tonight. If not tomorrow could be horrible for Denmark. It's all Karri forest 60m tall in places. :(

A gave the nursery area a good soaking lastnight. Got up this morning at 6am to 27C and strong northerlies. Real desert conditions. I've got the water back on the nursery now just before I head off to work. Quite a few clouds out which was not expected. Hopefully we'll get a good downpour later. Quite a few frogs were out and about last night so they must know something.

10.3C min to 41.4C max. Quite a few fires broke out today as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like summer will arrive in SE QLD on the 1st of December, right on cue... 

Thursday 1 December

Summary
storm.png
Min 19
Max 33
Possible late shower or gusty storm.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 1 mm
Chance of any rain: 30% rain_30.gif

Brisbane area

Mostly sunny day. Slight (30%) chance of a shower in the late afternoon and evening. The chance of a gusty thunderstorm in the late afternoon and evening. Winds northerly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light before dawn then becoming northerly 25 to 35 km/h in the morning.

Sun protection recommended from 7:40 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 14 [Extreme]

Friday 2 December

Summary
sunny.png
Min 21
Max 38
Sunny.
Possible rainfall: 0 mm
Chance of any rain: 20% rain_20.gif

Brisbane area

Mostly sunny. Slight (20%) chance of a shower. Winds northerly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light during the morning then becoming east to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the afternoon.

Sun protection recommended from 7:30 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 14 [Extreme]

Saturday 3 December

Summary
sunny.png
Min 21
Max 35
Sunny.
Chance of any rain: 10% rain_10.gif

Brisbane area

Hot and sunny. Light winds becoming northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day then becoming light during the evening.

Sunday 4 December

Summary
partly-cloudy.png
Min 22
Max 34
Partly cloudy.
Chance of any rain: 20% rain_20.gif

Brisbane area

Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower. Light winds becoming easterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

Monday 5 December

Summary
light-showers.png
Min 22
Max 33
Possible early shower.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 0.2 mm
Chance of any rain: 30% rain_30.gif

Brisbane area

Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower. Light winds becoming northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

Tuesday 6 December

Summary
showers.png
Min 23
Max 35
Shower or two.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 8 mm
Chance of any rain: 50% rain_50.gif

Brisbane area

Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers. Light winds becoming north to northeasterly 20 to 30 km/h during the day.

• Upvote 2

Ahhhh. Summer as it should be. Meanwhile back on the ranch in southern WA, something far less than summer is happening.

Mid twenties down here and nights in the teens now. Finally. Good Rhopie growing weather and they are going well.

Max/mins here the last couple of days have been 30/20 with thunderstorms every afternoon...not exactly tropical, but nice nonetheless!  It is supposed to warm up today

Daryl

4 hours ago, Daryl said:

Max/mins here the last couple of days have been 30/20 with thunderstorms every afternoon...not exactly tropical, but nice nonetheless!  It is supposed to warm up today

Daryl

Get any rain last night Daryl?  We had 24mm here last night on top of the 19mm Monday night.  It's better that nothing I suppose, but when it's hot the ground dries out very quickly.

Nerang

Close Precis

Forecast updated at 9:54 am EST on Friday 2 December 2016.

Detailed Nerang Forecast

Fri.2 Dec Sat.3 Dec Sun.4 Dec Mon.5 Dec Tue.6 Dec Wed.7 Dec Thu.8 Dec
Summary partly-cloudy.pngMostly sunny. light-showers.pngPossible shower. light-showers.pngPossible shower. light-showers.pngPossible shower. showers.pngShower or two. showers.pngShower or two. showers.pngShower or two.
Max. Temperature 32 °C 35 °C 32 °C 32 °C 34 °C 34 °C 30 °C
Min. Temperature   19 °C 20 °C 20 °C 21 °C 20 °C 19 °C

Edited by steve99

We had a bit of respite from the heat for a week or so with some rain and maximums down to 34 - 35s. But looks like we're heading back into the devil's armpit again. They say the monsoon is over Indonesia so not far off now.

forecast161202.jpg

On 12/2/2016, 10:46:43, steve99 said:

Get any rain last night Daryl?  We had 24mm here last night on top of the 19mm Monday night.  It's better that nothing I suppose, but when it's hot the ground dries out very quickly.

Nerang

Close Precis

Detailed Nerang Forecast

Summary partly-cloudy.pngMostly sunny. light-showers.pngPossible shower. light-showers.pngPossible shower. light-showers.pngPossible shower. showers.pngShower or two. showers.pngShower or two. showers.pngShower or two.

Hi Steve, yeah, we've been getting dribs and drabs here, but nothing like the totals parts of Brisbane have had...I guess that is what you get with Storms this time of year...very hit and miss!

On 12/2/2016, 10:46:43, steve99 said:

Nerang

Close Precis

Detailed Nerang Forecast

Steve, the new place has copped approx 100mm over the last week...should have got the turf down early!

• 2 weeks later...

A monsoon trough is developing over the Timor and Arafura Seas and is expected to cross the Top End coast Monday/Tuesday. During the week a low is expected to develop in the Arafura Sea and may develop into our first tropical cyclone of the season.

Although the wet season got off to a good start, my rainfall so far for December is under 7% of average at over half way through the month. But the arrival of the monsoon trough and associated cyclonic activity could push the rainfall back up over average, even if a little windy in the process.

• Upvote 2

On 20 December 2016 8:53:45 PM, Pip said:

Looks like Christmas is going to be crazy hot in Adelaide 

Screenshot_20161220-232007.jpg.655139ffc

Water, water, water your palms and garden during that. Great minimums to push growth though. I'm jealous, really jealous of your minimums. They are minimums I will never see here despite the fact we are at the same latitude.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Water, water, water your palms and garden during that. Great minimums to push growth though. I'm jealous, really jealous of your minimums. They are minimums I will never see here despite the fact we are at the same latitude.

I certainly am busy with the hose. An irrigation system is on the list of things to get too along with fixing the bore. I think Adelaide's topography helps maintain a slightly warmer climate. Those minimum temps are for the plains not the hills I drove home last night through the hills and the temperature definitely dropped below 20c.

On 24 December 2016 8:21:48 AM, Pip said:

Looks like the expected heat has been down graded for the Christmas holidays but still hot on Christmas day.

Screenshot_20161224-104857.thumb.png.d39

Monday and Tuesday is brilliant growing weather for you.

• Upvote 1

Had a sunny 32.2C day yesterday and 23.3mm of rain overnight in thunderstorms. Can see the grass growing.

• Upvote 1

We are up to 37mm of rain now from this event and it's wet and cold and blowy again just like winter. :(

93mm here at my place last night.    It was a damn good and much needed drop.   What did the rest of you South East Queenslanders get ?