IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crinkled emergent leaves Dypsis

Tracy

I'm looking for input if the crinkled appearance is nothing to worry about on these new leaflets or if I have a deficiency of some sort.  Dypsis bef and crinita respectively.  I have seen this a couple of times before and they eventually unfolded.  Kind of remind me of a flush on a Cycas unfurling.

20161031-104A4518.jpg

20161031-104A4518-2.jpg

20161031-104A4517.jpg

20161031-104A4517-2.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I've heard it referred to as " accordion leaf" syndrome. Most of the time, it seems to be a physical restraining of the leaf within the growing point. The actual cause is a bit more harder to figure. The classic case is a clustering palm that shoots another growing point out near it's base. But as you've noted, sometimes the cause is not so obvious. Still, I don't think it's a serious issue or related your conditions; it almost never happens on two consecutive leaves. 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

It actually just occurred to me that a Ravenea lakatra of mine just put out a leaf like that. It was a 4 month process, with the spear just taking forever to push; like it was being held back. The subsequent spear is growing straight as an arrow & much faster, even heading into cooler weather.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Tracy,

this also occurs when a palm is getting ready to split. Beff is notorious for doing this before it divides. I had a bunch do this in the green house before they divided and now they are all back to normal with a new sucker. Same with Crinita. defiantly nothing to worry about.

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Adam is right. You can help by getting some boron crystals from your local nursery supply place. Just a small pinch will do. Too much can poison the plant. If your soil is very acidic, possibly application of a couple small handfuls of dolomitic lime would reduce the acidity and help the plant get nutrients from the soil.

Often, they do grow out of it eventually, even without help.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Beff is notorious for doing this before it divides. I had a bunch do this in the green house before they divided and now they are all back to normal with a new sucker.

Considering that the D beff came from you Josh, I'll pick door #4...or I meant answer #4.  In that it requires no added effort on my part as well as not overdosing or under-dosing anything, its also the easy answer to watch and see what happens.  Both plants have been very busy all summer pushing new leaves and I'm still seeing the early autumn carryover of vigorous growth.  Thanks to all for the input, and if new leaves continue to show this crinkled appearance, I'll try supplementing boron. 

I had this happen (still occurring) on one of my C. Cataractum.  It was most definitely sure to obstruction of the emerging leaf.  I noticed part of a new leaf looking very crinkled poking out bent sideways as the base of one is the trunks. It turned out that the last filly grown leaf had somehow twisted and Turned he wrong direction causing its hollow center where the new frond would emerge from, to close, this blocking the new frond.  Upon correcting that leaf, the very brittle next new and very crinkled / deformed frond, broke.   In fact there were two emerging st the same time and both are damaged in this same way.  I dont know why but at least one of my cataractum spikes to push two fronds at the same time.  It's done it several times, all without any problem.  It pushes a big spear that splits in half and is actually two separate fronds.   

Below are a couple kind of blurry pics of the damage.  You can also see the last mature frond and the hollow center that would normally be filled with the new fronds spear.  That is the part that was twisted shut ans caused the severe crinkling damage.  

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

It was most definitely sure to obstruction of the emerging leaf.  I noticed part of a new leaf looking very crinkled poking out bent sideways as the base of one is the trunks.

Good example.  After looking at your photos, it reminded me of some of my other clumping species where I have seen this with an initial new sprout, or a sprout coming off the side of a trunk.  Your photos specifically reminded me of seeing this in the past on Dypsis pembana, Dypsis lutescens, and Chamaedorea hooperiana.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Good example.  After looking at your photos, it reminded me of some of my other clumping species where I have seen this with an initial new sprout, or a sprout coming off the side of a trunk.  Your photos specifically reminded me of seeing this in the past on Dypsis pembana, Dypsis lutescens, and Chamaedorea hooperiana.

I have seen this on D. Lutescens too.