IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Cyrtostachys hybrid!

rprimbs

Is this hybrid?  Photoshopped? (Not mine)

image001.jpg.0ce76ff59f2eca2f998d4fe24e8

Edited by foxtail
  • Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

20 hours ago, BPK Palm Addict said:

I have a small hybrid planted in the yard but it has not shown any color at this point.  Does anyone know if the color appears as it gets a little size to it?

Hell yea! Feed it a lot and water it more than you can.......

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

Freshly planted this morning, from a 25 gallon pot, just shy of 10 ft. I told my client that I wanted to live there now just so I could look at this palm everyday. He doesn't quite understand how bad ass these palms are. This is his new view outside of his back doors.

20161111_113902_HDR~2.jpg

20161111_113854_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016, 3:47:54, kwtimo said:

Searle, I took these pics back in March, when this palm was much smaller and not as well colored. This is the one to the left when you walk out of your living room.

20160303_181416_HDR~2.jpg

20160303_181402_HDR~2.jpg

20160303_181354_HDR~2.jpg

Here's the palm as of Saturday. Makes Mr. Searle look rather small.

20161203_155606_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

12 hours ago, kwtimo said:

Here's the palm as of Saturday. Makes Mr. Searle look rather small.

20161203_155606_HDR~2.jpg

Wow!!  That thing has really grown since I was there a few years back!  So nice!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

It takes a little while to color up in the beginning. Some have better color than others

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

19 hours ago, Moose said:

It takes a little while to color up in the beginning. Some have better color than others

This is so true. While in pots, they show very little color and therefore it's hard to convince a customer what the eventually will look like. UNTIL.....I walk them over and show them a 20' plus specimen in the ground.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here are the 3 hybrids growing at Leu Gardens. We had one night of 28F and none are showing any damage. They are growing in different locations in the Garden but all are under high tree canopy. But this freeze was windy so some things in normally protected just some burn.

This first one is growing in just about the warmest microclimate at the Garden. Nearby heliconia and bananas did not have damage so it didn't go below 32F at this spot and it is very wind protected. It is growing next to a Sabinaria which had no damage either.

cyrt1.jpg

• Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This one is growing in the Palm Garden. Nearby palms such as Satakentia, Neoveitchia and Bactris all have foliage burn.

cyrt2.jpg

• Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This one is in the Shade Garden. A Carpoxylon next to it has foliage damage.

cyrt3.jpg

• Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Maaan I am dying to have one of these I took a fantastic picture of the verigated crytostachys at Fairchild

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018, 8:25:58, Eric in Orlando said:

This one is in the Shade Garden. A Carpoxylon next to it has foliage damage.

cyrt3.jpg

That's impressive. My Carpoxylon fared about as well as nearby Wodyetia. I assumed that I wouldn't be able to grow the hybrid but now I'm rethinking that...

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 11 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 8:11 PM, kwtimo said:

20180301_181748.jpg

Did you put this C renda in the shade or in full sun all day? Cause I am still debating where to put this beauty. Mine is still small. like 3ft. 

Did you had any issues with insects or pests?

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:24 PM, JANAIY said:

Did you put this C renda in the shade or in full sun all day? Cause I am still debating where to put this beauty. Mine is still small. like 3ft. 

Did you had any issues with insects or pests?

This is planted in mostly all day sun. It's between 25-30' tall now. I have had no pest of other problems what so ever. It's probably seen 31 or maybe 32 degrees with no damage at all. It's my favorite palm in the yard.

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice photos, I like to know who sales this Palm now. I bought a small one from Rare Palms Nursery in the Redlands about seven years ago and it died on me.  I was in the military and was not around to take care of it. I heard the person that developed the hybrid passed away and didn’t share his methods of hybridization. I guess the only way to get it is by the suckers. I lost a lot of cool plants by being away from home. So any help would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, DavidLee said:

Nice photos, I like to know who sales this Palm now. I bought a small one from Rare Palms Nursery in the Redlands about seven years ago and it died on me.  I was in the military and was not around to take care of it. I heard the person that developed the hybrid passed away and didn’t share his methods of hybridization. I guess the only way to get it is by the suckers. I lost a lot of cool plants by being away from home. So any help would be appreciated.

Nobody developed this hybrid. Would you care to indulge any information you "heard"? I sure would...….

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Searle said:

Nobody develope this hybrid. Would you care to indulge any information you "heard"? I sure would...….

Jeff,

I was quoting another reputable palm nursery owner.  I asked the gentleman at a Fairchild plant sale if  he still sold the hybrid Red lip stick palm. That is the answer he gave me. I will go to his nursery next time I am down south and ask for more details.  What do you know how this hybrid came to be? Why is it hard to find in the nursery trade? Few years ago you can find it and now it is impossible. 

On 3/4/2019 at 8:00 PM, Jeff Searle said:

This is planted in mostly all day sun. It's between 25-30' tall now. I have had no pest of other problems what so ever. It's probably seen 31 or maybe 32 degrees with no damage at all. It's my favorite palm in the yard.

well, mine is still young so I wait until its more robust to put in the soil and sun. I will gradually introduce more sun once in warmer temperatures.  I already let her stay until noon in the soon and than up to the shade. Today we are at 50F , I am glad I pulled her inside last night. I don't want to risk right now. 

Another important question. What fertilizer do you use to keep up with the nutrient requirement. Since an exotic palm I want to get the right mix.  Thank you for sharing. I am new to growing palms.

IMG_2596.jpg

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:37 PM, DavidLee said:

Jeff,

I was quoting another reputable palm nursery owner.  I asked the gentleman at a Fairchild plant sale if  he still sold the hybrid Red lip stick palm. That is the answer he gave me. I will go to his nursery next time I am down south and ask for more details.  What do you know how this hybrid came to be? Why is it hard to find in the nursery trade? Few years ago you can find it and now it is impossible. 

Well I can assure you this reputable palm nursery owner doesn't know the facts.  I can also say that "the person that developed" this palm did not die. I kind of laughed when I read this. Maybe he was giving you some wrong info intentionally to throw you off. Who knows. Lol. Its hard to find because the first ones were grown from seed and these small plants are gone now. This was back in 2009 approx. OK?

• Like 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:00 PM, Jeff Searle said:

Its absolutely stunning. I hope I can make this happen to my little one. Any tips and tricks are highly appreciated, especially fertilizing it. What do you use?

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Bump! How are everyones hybrids doing? Mine are still in pots and still have no color. How long do they take to start showing color in pots? I'm too afraid to put them in the ground here in brooksville, we see high 20's every year.

• Upvote 1

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

This is not Cyrtostachys "Hybrid" but is Cyrtostachys "Apple", which I read is a hybrid of Cyrtostachys renda and Cyrtostachys elegans.  I bought this last fall at the Searle Sale as a seedling and it has maybe doubled in size since then.

I am keeping it in partial shade (the same with my Cyrtostachys renda) and am really encouraged to read that, as a hybrid, it might be hardy enough to survive as low as upper 20s.

20200602_091335.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s mine. Nothing fancy yet but it’s been robust and hardy. I neglected it a ton in my move and it’s taken all the neglect. Got this in 2015 as a 4” pot from Floribunda. That’s slow, but it was fast until I quit taking care of it

6358C38B-C3B5-4195-AD46-6A08739CF870.jpeg

Edited by cobra2326
  • Upvote 1

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Just to prove my love of this palm and how much I love it, I just last week had this tattoo finished. 9 hours in the chair over 3 visits. We now call it the "Lipstick Queen".  I have several in the yard now growing here in south Florida. The tallest is over 25'. It has gone through low 30's with no damage! It is currently been flowering but has not set any seed.

20200602_124037.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

:o That is dedication right there Jeff. I have a bunch of tattoos but no palm tats Yet. I can't say right now, i can pick just one =/ 

Nice tattoo !!! 

• Upvote 1

T J 

Jeff, that one takes the cake, love it! It even has the inflorescence detail! 

This is like the holy grail if you think about it. A cold hardy lipstick palm that's robust, has variegation and is fast.

Edited by cobra2326
  • Upvote 1

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

1 hour ago, Jeff Searle said:

Just to prove my love of this palm and how much I love it, I just last week had this tattoo finished. 9 hours in the chair over 3 visits. We now call it the "Lipstick Queen".  I have several in the yard now growing here in south Florida. The tallest is over 25'. It has gone through low 30's with no damage! It is currently been flowering but has not set any seed.

20200602_124037.jpg

Do you expect the seed to be viable?

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

53 minutes ago, redant said:

Do you expect the seed to be viable?

Truly, I have no idea what this palm is going to do. I'm really hoping it sets seed, but who knows if they'll be fertile and then germinate into what? Time will tell.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

7 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

20200602_124037.jpg

Jeff man, that is hardcore!  I can't think of a better palm to be proudly displayed on the arm of Florida's palmiest guy!  Nice.

5 hours ago, cobra2326 said:

Jeff, that one takes the cake, love it! It even has the inflorescence detail! 

This is like the holy grail if you think about it. A cold hardy lipstick palm that's robust, has variegation and is fast.

Agreed 100%.  Now if I could just afford the little one for sale on eBay!

I am sure Jeff Searle will eventually have small ones for sale again.  This palm is too incredible to just make one round through the trade then disappear into obscurity.

23 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

:o That is dedication right there Jeff. I have a bunch of tattoos but no palm tats Yet. I can't say right now, i can pick just one =/ 

Nice tattoo !!! 

Thank you. Total dedication for sure. It's alllll me!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 11 months later...

Hi there just wondering if any body has any seed for Sale and would be able to send to Western Australia. 

Regards Brad