IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Cyrtostachys hybrid!

rprimbs

You mean the one I should have bought before they were no longer available?.... Never got one. :crying:

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Me either

57 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

You mean the one I should have bought before they were no longer available?.... Never got one. :crying:

Me either.  I kick myself because I didn't jump at the chance to buy one or more when I had the chance.  I thought about it...

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

gosh Bill, you and I both! I still wonder how one would grow in our coastal climates

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Boy are they becoming VERY beautiful here in south Florida!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

ppppffffttt!  <_<

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I had some of these in the ground for a couple years but they eventually died. Not due to cold, but not enough water. I still think these could make it the right areas in Southern California, but unfortunately it's now impossible to find them to try again with. 

Here's one growing at a nursery just outside Brisbane. Renda is a no grow here outside. Although it is showing some slight cold damage I thought it was looking pretty good now that we are well into spring. Had it been planted it might have fared even better.

Lipstick.JPG.638da4602801ef6fa57ef18a59c

Regards Neil

• Upvote 2

Went out yesterday and took two beautiful pictures with my cell phone(Samsung 5 ) but once again this site does not allow me to upload pictures.:rage:

• Like 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Searle said:

Went out yesterday and took two beautiful pictures with my cell phone(Samsung 5 ) but once again this site does not allow me to upload pictures.:rage:

I have the same phone Jeff.  I can upload.  Wonder what gives.

2 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

I have the same phone Jeff.  I can upload.  Wonder what gives.

I have the 7 and have to remember to change the picture size to 1:1 which is the smallest setting and below the 8MB limit on this site. Anything bigger than that fails to upload. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

I have the same phone, but don't have PT on my phone. It takes a bit of work, but I email the pic to myself, then upload to PT from my laptop.

• Like 1

Searle, I took these pics back in March, when this palm was much smaller and not as well colored. This is the one to the left when you walk out of your living room.

20160303_181416_HDR~2.jpg

20160303_181402_HDR~2.jpg

20160303_181354_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 14

Pipe dream here in Cali. IMHO. I lost both mine planted in ground first winter. One in a premo spot in my courtyard too. It was a big 3 gallon I got from Searle. Other was too small to plant out but I did anyway. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, kwtimo said:

Searle, I took these pics back in March, when this palm was much smaller and not as well colored. This is the one to the left when you walk out of your living room.

Looks like candy. Makes you want a lick:P...

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

IMG_5524.GIF.77bb46eb47f24c5f36761669af7

I ment the palm! The palm looks like candy... :bummed:

Jeff doesn't look like a candy I'd like to lick:mrlooney: :floor:

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

I ment the palm! The palm looks like candy... :bummed:

Jeff doesn't look like a candy I'd like to lick:mrlooney: :floor:

:floor::floor:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, LJG said:

Pipe dream here in Cali. IMHO. I lost both mine planted in ground first winter. One in a premo spot in my courtyard too. It was a big 3 gallon I got from Searle. Other was too small to plant out but I did anyway. 

I though you cut it down because it was choking out your CDIP?:floor:

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

58186e640c6b1_photocyrtohybrid7.thumb.JP

Here is a 12'-14' hybrid.

58186e18ef749_photocyrtohybrid6.thumb.JP

This is an 8' hybrid that was separated from the other one.  It is not a single but has 3 or 4 pups starting at the base.

58186f145823a_photocyrtohybrid8.thumb.JP

Viewing the bigger one from a different angle, about 90 degrees different angle.

58186f7044ed9_photocyrtohybrid2.thumb.JP

I love the "watermelon" look.

photo cyrtohybrid5.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 16

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Damn! Now that's freaking nice, Jerry! I have drooled over (Lol) this palm for years, ever since I started seeing the color show up. This palm is a winner for us that have one because of it's cold hardiness and still exhibit the red to reddish orange coloring. I am always asked.....what's your favorite palm, Jeff? Well, I think in my 30 plus years of never answering this, this lipstick hybrid is. I have grown these now for several years, studied them and I really do think this is my favorite palm. I love them!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Now that the supply of the hybrid seems to have dried up, is it possible to reproduce the ones that are out there by division? 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I divided the one at the Arboretum, but now, considering that they are not making any new ones, will not take the chance of killing it.  Instead, I will wait a few years for it to start seeding and see what comes of that.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Interesting that they don't resume suckering once divided. Good luck with growing them from seed. It'd be nice to see this hybrid more widely available!

Keith 

15 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

Interesting that they don't resume suckering once divided. Good luck with growing them from seed. It'd be nice to see this hybrid more widely available!

They do resume suckering.  The separated stem has a head start but look closely at the base of my pic and you will see new suckers.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

4 minutes ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

They do resume suckering.  The separated stem has a head start but look closely at the base of my pic and you will see new suckers.

I misinterpreted when you said "they are not making any new ones". I thought you meant that the divided stems don't make new ones. 

Keith 

No, I was commenting that the chance hybridization that created them in the first place is not occurring anymore, or the seeds are just not being harvested or cultivated.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

3 minutes ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

No, I was commenting that the chance hybridization that created them in the first place is not occurring anymore, or the seeds are just not being harvested or cultivated.

Yeah I got it now. Hopefully the hybrid is stable, though at least the possibility to divide them is still there if it's not. 

Keith 

I've posted these pictures before, but this is one of the nicest palms I've seen, so here they are again. This is at Michael Norell's garden on Big Pine Key.

IMG_5334.thumb.jpg.800ab73be49f376bbd5ceIMG_5335.thumb.JPG.e06f21fddbc5927c7c084

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Keith 

3 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

58186e640c6b1_photocyrtohybrid7.thumb.JP

Here is a 12'-14' hybrid.

58186e18ef749_photocyrtohybrid6.thumb.JP

This is an 8' hybrid that was separated from the other one.  It is not a single but has 3 or 4 pups starting at the base.

58186f145823a_photocyrtohybrid8.thumb.JP

Viewing the bigger one from a different angle, about 90 degrees different angle.

58186f7044ed9_photocyrtohybrid2.thumb.JP

I love the "watermelon" look.

photo cyrtohybrid5.JPG

That is way cool. I would plant a hedge around my house with these if I could. 

• Upvote 1

Hmm.

If they're swamp things, on top of needing more heat than we have here, I can't imagine them making it, alas.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, are these a bit more cold hardy because they are hybrids? 

I wonder if I'd be able to keep one alive here in my "tropical desert"...? If they like the heat... like coconuts...maybe...?B)

I have planted 3 out at Leu Gardens. One has gone through 2 winters here. So far all 3 are still small, 2-3 ft. I'll get pics when I get back.

Those larger ones look awesome!!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

21 hours ago, kwtimo said:

GORGEOUS

The palm, that is.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I've posted these pictures before, but this is one of the nicest palms I've seen, so here they are again. This is at Michael Norell's garden on Big Pine Key.

IMG_5334.thumb.jpg.800ab73be49f376bbd5ceIMG_5335.thumb.JPG.e06f21fddbc5927c7c084

Impossible or not, I will jump at the chance to try this if it becomes available again!

I have a small hybrid planted in the yard but it has not shown any color at this point.  Does anyone know if the color appears as it gets a little size to it?

• Upvote 1