PalmTreeDude

Small Area of Zone 10a In Lousisana

sbpalms

Exactly. I'm a solid 10a, but there's way too little heat here to support the growth of most tropical plants. Sure, we very rarely dip below 40 F, but it's actually nice to see a winter day where the high manages to creep above 70 F.

AnTonY
On 12/1/2016, 9:10:28, Yunder Wækraus said:

But it's important to remember that CA and southern Louisiana are quite different. Southern Louisiana is quite a bit further south that San Diego, and it borders on a body of water that is extremely warm during the summer (the Gulf of Mexico average temp never drops below 60 at Grand Isle, Louisiana https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html ). Louisiana would probably be 11a at the coast and 10a well inland if only the South were protected from arctic blasts by a ring of mountains. CA, on the other hand, is bordered by a very cold ocean (average temps get as low as 59 in San Diego, and they never approach 70 even in the summer https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html ). CA is protected from arctic blasts by high mountains, and the cold Pacific moderates things enough to avoid coastal freezes. Inland Southern CA is probably as warm as can be. I doubt even a warm water current running along the coast of Southern California would increase what could be grown there. Louisiana, however, is performing far below its potential. If only the earth would get with the program and give the South some taller mountains (and place them east to west) :-)

I really don't understand the water warmth in Grand Isle; average highs there are no higher than 63F, and lows are in the low 40s.

Wilmington NC with an average water temp of 58F in Jan? Much warmer than many places on the coast further south  (Georgia, South Carolina, etc)? Virginia Beach waters in the 60s in Dec, even with highs/lows in 50s/30s. Doesn't add up.

Edited by AnTonY
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dman

Not many people even try. But, more recently with warmer temperatures in South Louisiana and milder temperatures,  I have seen an increase of palms being planted and they seem to do very well.   So, I believe its definitely worth a try.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Phyllostachys
      By Phyllostachys
      Hi folks! I'm currently on a West coast road trip and would love to hear from the community and get suggestions for interesting gardens, nurseries, and notable specimens that I could visit and photograph on my way between Vancouver (Canada) and San Francisco. If you have a garden that you're willing to show, I'd love to meet and see your plants!
      I've just passed Portland and am planning to be in San Francisco for the weekend. I'm planning a follow-up trip to SoCal in the winter, so please share your thoughts even if you see this after I've passed through! 
      I'm interested to hear all your recommendations, with special emphasis on palms (of course!), bamboos, uncommon edibles to taste, as well as all sorts of unusual, botanically interesting, and zone pushing plants!
      I'll be taking photos of the fun plants among my trip and will share them once I'm back home. If you know the locations of the most northern surviving specimen of specific plant species, please let me know and I'll provide an updated photo if I pass through the area!
      Thank you so much for your time!
      Sam
    • Palms and Pines
      By Palms and Pines
      I recently went back to fit gardens in Melbourne Florida, which recently reopened after 2 whole years of being closed.
      Nice hybrid dates

dypsis. A lot of areas look very jungle like now, even more so than before, I don’t think the gardens got maintained very well in the 2 years it was closed unfortunately but it looks cool.

Don’t think that’s labeled right. There’s also a  African oil palms with a “syagrus psedococos” an outdated name for a queen palm. The signs look relatively new too. Not exactly sure what they are doing.

This is what remains of the very old African oil palm, if you look at some old threads you can see it was a large and beautiful palm. To bad I’m not 100% sure if it died of natural causes or if it was chainsawed but I have a sneaking suspicion it was the latter, as they are cementing near by its trunk now for some reason. But I’m not ruling out that it died naturally because why else haven’t they removed all the old trunk. That also being said I “snuck in” last year for a short while and it looked perfectly healthy anyhow too bad it’s gone.

• Sapiindo
    • Sapiindo
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      Just a few shots from the garden today…

I really need to get the Butia in the ground

Hopefully my Cycas flushes this summer

Here is my largest Rhopalostylis

My largest King