IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Massive Magnificent Mules

Silas_Sancona

...Ok, perhaps not the biggest I have seen in person, but still bigger than most I have seen around town. Arrived Friday at work. Had to snap some pictures today to share with everyone. If only could buy all 5, lol :D:drool:

20161023_145657.thumb.jpg.8ac51a9c499134

20161023_145750.thumb.jpg.04912c9d425b0b

• Upvote 8

Good stuff. They're pretty fast too. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Oh yeah.

Love mine.

Getting fat!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

22 hours ago, kirkhutch said:

What is Whitfills asking for the large ones?

Sent you a PM

all the more reason for me to plant more.

thanks for the motivation :)

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

unfindable in Europe at this size :(

• Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Those are super nice! I fell in love when I first saw one with trunk. Now I have several smaller Mules planted and man once they spread their roots they start moving. One was a strap leaf seedling last year and now this year It's over 3 feet tall. Also just planted a Coco Queen. I say plant as many as you can fit!

13 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Those are super nice! I fell in love when I first saw one with trunk. Now I have several smaller Mules planted and man once they spread their roots they start moving. One was a strap leaf seedling last year and now this year It's over 3 feet tall. Also just planted a Coco Queen. I say plant as many as you can fit!

Surely would if I wasn't in a rental atm. While a great, all around palm that can be grown on both coasts, and many areas in between.. Mules may be "the" most tropical looking, sturdy choice here in the desert. I recall seeing a much bigger specimen years ago back at a nursery in San Jose and instantly thinking.. that would make a decent Coconut stand - in for the area, even if it eventually becomes huskies with age.. a trait that, imo, makes them even more appealing. 

While there are a few more potential options to create such a look here in and around Phoenix, Royals can get toasted in a cold winter ( if not killed.. smaller specimens esp) a lot of people shy away from the larger Phoenix species due to eventual size, or concerns about maintainance  ( those intimidating spines). Queens I see around town, for the most part, look rough and thirsty,  exhibiting various degrees of defeciencies while others like the potential use that Pseudophoenix  sp. or Attalea may present in warmer parts of town,  both are slow to reach decent size.. beautiful and choice additions none the less.

Mules seem to handle our brand of extreme heat( been in the 90's here most of October) and perhaps a little less water than queens, and provide an easy to maintain, big, but not overly massive choice that definitely provides that sought after "tropical oasis in the desert" escape from the usual look of the desert, as beautiful as that can be itself. 

As grand as a Coconut?, nah.. but looking at these guys in the nursery  all weekend and thinking about the look they provide, on top of the vigor they seem to possess, it is tough to imagine a finer stand-in gracing Phoenix.. or, perhaps even Tucson skylines, ..Let alone everywhere else they can grow, where cocos won't. 

• Upvote 1

I can agree Mules are a much better choice in the desert. I used to live in Las Vegas before I moved out here and I remember Queens always looked horrible. Seems like no matter how much water they always break their leaves. Eventually the leaves just hang. Vegas did get colder though as I remember in 2007 even Washingtonia robusta defoliated. I bet Mules would be perfect there too.

I love the look of Mules and they do have that Coconut look to them. Out there in the Phoenix area I would also try Psudophoenix sargentii, Beccariphoenix alfredii,  Parajubaea sunka, and palms like Sabal sp. 

Hopefully one day you can get your own place to start an epic garden. I grew palms in pots for years then finally was able to get my own place. It's so rewarding to plant everything in the ground and watch them explode.  

Any ideas on how these were grown to that size? Meaning, have they always been in a pot/box? Or were they in the ground for five years then potted?

i have 250 waiting to sprout.

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)