IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

LIVISTONA FULVA

Stevetoad

Can anyone tell me if livistona fulva has rust under the leaves as a seedling or how long it takes for this to show? I have 2 from different places. one is in the ground and is about 4 feet tall (no rust) the other is a one gallon (no rust). ill post pics later when i get home.  thank you for any info.  

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

No, they don't, not until they are older. Here's some one gallon size. And the next pic showing it's color.

IMG_0430.JPG

DSCN0691.JPG

• Upvote 6

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

1 hour ago, NatureGirl said:

No, they don't, not until they are older. Here's some one gallon size. And the next pic showing it's color.

IMG_0430.JPG

DSCN0691.JPG

Thank you! Poor thing almost got hacked out this weekend. I'll let it go a bit longer to see what it turns into. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Here's my biggest. About 5 foot tall. No rust at all. It does have some pretty good sized liguels which I don't see on my decora or Australis. 

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

• Upvote 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I have a fulva a bit bigger than those one gallons and it has nothing to show yet. I have a feeling once it gets that copper back on it, I will be disappointed...

Lovely palms...mine all had reasonable colour from about 2 ft tall, but it developed more over time...by the time they had clean trunk, they were really colourful...

DSC_1988.thumb.jpg.94bf9f43dd555047c9686

DSC_8664-2.thumb.jpg.9bee433ac8977ca2baa

DSC_0982.thumb.jpg.491d6c0b12bfde8a8b8f4

fulva.thumb.jpg.dff73dc44ace077fc5a7e30a

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Such a cool palm. I really hope mine turns out to be one. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Wow Daryl! Now those are some colorful Liv Fulva's. They look almost Orange in the photo.

• Upvote 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Man Daryl, Looking sharp! Not like this one below. Never seen color like yours before. I have this just to have it; it'll be swell if it ever shows like yours.

fulva.jpg

fulva2.jpg

Mandrew, at that size you should start seeing scales on the undersides of the leaves. Not enough to be noticeable from a distance, but they should be there if you look really close. A couple more years and you should see some definite colour.

I have to admit, the more colourful photos above (the first two) were taken in the late afternoon light 'golden hour' and this colours the leaves up to be almost orange...the photos reflect the colours in real life, but only at that time of day...usually they are a little more subtle (the last two), but still very obvious.

This is one of my favourite Livistonas...I should really source a couple for my new garden!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

2 hours ago, Daryl said:

Mandrew, at that size you should start seeing scales on the undersides of the leaves. Not enough to be noticeable from a distance, but they should be there if you look really close. A couple more years and you should see some definite colour.

I have to admit, the more colourful photos above (the first two) were taken in the late afternoon light 'golden hour' and this colours the leaves up to be almost orange...the photos reflect the colours in real life, but only at that time of day...usually they are a little more subtle (the last two), but still very obvious.

This is one of my favourite Livistonas...I should really source a couple for my new garden!

Daryl

Daryl, does mine look like Fulva to you or do i have something else???

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Hi Steve, no unfortunately...it looks more like L.nitida

25 minutes ago, Daryl said:

that was my fear. Thank you though.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

8 hours ago, Daryl said:

Are these the scales you were referring to or just wishful thinking?

IMG_0934.JPG

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

13 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Are these the scales you were referring to or just wishful thinking?

IMG_0934.JPG

Wishful thinking...yes, they could almost be classified as scales, but should be scattered over the leaves right up to the leaf tips on all leaflets...

3 minutes ago, Daryl said:

Wishful thinking...yes, they could almost be classified as scales, but should be scattered over the leaves right up to the leaf tips on all leaflets...

bubble burster <_<

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Now that the non-stop rains of the last two days have paused for a while, I have been able to get a couple of pics from my garden. The first is of one planted oput in April 2014, ATV for scale. This one is getting smaller leaves, showing signs of boron deficiency, which I have treated it for.

fulva_MLM_102016.thumb.JPG.2c320ae4366db

Here is a leaf underside. It looked lighter and rustier to the eye than it does in the photo.

58091e271cc70_fulva_lfunderside_MLM_1020

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

There aren't many Livistona growers on the Big Island, perhaps because people are immersed in their Calyptrocalyx, Licualas, Pinangas, Arecas, Iguanuras, etc., etc. The ones that are found are usually fulva, because of the color. I got into the Livistona habit in central Florida. Here, I also have benthamii, drudei, muellerii, lanuginosa, and carinensis.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

6 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

bubble burster <_<

Been there many a times Steve :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

This should definitely be more widely grown...it is such  a tough palm

DSC_4802.thumb.jpg.a3f8d42810fb3a7714f76

• Upvote 2

There are some beauties at the Melbourne Botanic Gardens. They are really eye catching once they develop some trunk. Really robust palms and clearly they don't mind cool conditions for all of us temperate growers.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

• 1 month later...

Could this very young plant be a real fulva? It's so spiny! If it is to early yet for a positive identification I vae to check out is a negative one is already possible.

IMG_20161207_175632.thumb.jpg.51d43bc7b0IMG_20161207_175656.thumb.jpg.c7b21cc8c3

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

The larger of my two L. fulva appears to be developing that characteristic rust-colored tomentum on the underside of the newest leaves. Hope it's eventually as colorful as the palms pictured on this thread! The other one of this species is in the ground and only now catching up in size with the potted one. RPS was the seed source for these.

Livistona_fulva2020.png

L_fulva2020.png

• Like 1