Sign in to follow this  
Pip

A very happy Trachycarpus

Pip

Here is my Trachycarpus fortunei not very meny months after I initially planted it out in 2010. I had previously kept it in a pot for a few years, it had been grown as an indoor house plant by my aunty when it was very young. I saved it from certain death as indoors it wasn't getting enough light.

FB_IMG_1475997323566.jpg.a43fc79454a2f1b

Here it is today enjoying moist spring weather

20161009_173448.thumb.jpg.8ff32eda7eb86d

20161009_173517.thumb.jpg.c41e993ce4fe9d

And it is really very happy this is the second spring that it has flowered. I guess I'll have a Trachycarpus lawn in no time.20161009_173545.thumb.jpg.370f0806b013f3

Edited by Pip
  • Upvote 8

Ben in Norcal

I have been surprised by the growth rate on some of my Trachy's - they are not slow. 

• Upvote 2

Josh-O
7 hours ago, Pip said:

Here is my Trachycarpus fortunei not very meny months after I initially planted it out in 2010. I had previously kept it in a pot for a few years, it had been grown as an indoor house plant by my aunty when it was very young. I saved it from certain death as indoors it wasn't getting enough light.

FB_IMG_1475997323566.jpg.a43fc79454a2f1b

Here it is today enjoying moist spring weather

20161009_173448.thumb.jpg.8ff32eda7eb86d

20161009_173517.thumb.jpg.c41e993ce4fe9d

And it is really very happy this is the second spring that it has flowered. I guess I'll have a Trachycarpus lawn in no time.20161009_173545.thumb.jpg.370f0806b013f3

Pip,

you have the magic touch:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Las Palmas Norte

That's a male palm ... you'll need a female to get pollination and seed. A far better place for it than indoors. Looks great. It does look however that it has produced it own female inflorescence and seed. This does happen in instances where they seem to realize no others are present, and they end up cloning themselves. 

Cheers, Barrie.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Upvote 1

Pip
6 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

That's a male palm ... you'll need a female to get pollination and seed. A far better place for it than indoors. Looks great. It does look however that it has produced it own female inflorescence and seed. This does happen in instances where they seem to realize no others are present, and they end up cloning themselves. 

Cheers, Barrie.

Yes it was very productive seed producer last year with most inflorescence setting seed. There are a few mature Trachycarpus near but not any obvious ones in my neighborhood. The most popular palms in my hood are Syagrus romanzoffiana, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and alexandrae, Phoenix canariensis, Washingtonia robusa and Dypsis lutescens.

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude
6 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Cheers, Barrie.

It is very interesting, normally after a year or two with out pollinating another palm or  getting pollen itself, the palm will end up producing both male and female flowers.

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

Las Palmas Norte

Some folks that buy palms from me ask "is it male or female?". I tell them it's impossible to tell until they mature and flower.

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 1

smithgn

So very interesting. How amazing palms are. Trachy's are surprisingly fast.

• Upvote 1