IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wish me luck with Hurricane Matt

Cocoa Beach Jason

Current forecast has the eye coming about 40 miles or so from my house. I am boarding up windows all day. All potted plants are in the house. Boat out of the water. I have a generator and lots and lots of gas and water and food. I plan on riding this out unless the eye wall is going to give us a direct hit. Anything under 120 mph winds I'm staying. My home is block with hurricane straps. I hope my palms can handle the winds. I'm not looking forward to inevitably losing some trees.

You sound prepared. ...generator is good ...Power loss will suck....also chainsaw. Anticipate the direction of wind and make sure your neighbors upwind put away all their crap....good luck! Make sure phone is charged. ...uhh can't think of anything else....might want to consider leaving above 100 mph ....that's a more round number.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Good luck, Jason. Sounds like you are ready as possible. You aren't on the ocean, are you?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Good luck! Personally I'd leave for a cat 1 just so I'm not sitting at home in the dark with no AC when the power goes out. 

Perhaps trim some lower fronds so the palm catches the wind a little less?

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Good luck Jason.  Its been a long time since we had hurricanes here in FL. Now it looks like 2 in 2016

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Jason, I'd get out tonight.  The latest track has 140 mph winds just touching the coast line. 

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

1 hour ago, SubTropicRay said:

Jason, I'd get out tonight.  The latest track has 140 mph winds just touching the coast line. 

Sheesh, let's hope it isn't that strong. 140 sustained would mean gusts into the 160s or higher. Iirc it takes around 130mph to push a car down the street, sideways. 

You really sure you want to ride this out Jason?

Jason, yes please take the advice to get out, this is a major storm, I went through Andrew so I know how it is. Don't chance it.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

If the path projection holds true, some people will be coming back to their homes to see only a concrete slab! 

• Upvote 1

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

Jason:

Praying for you!

Let someone else be a hero. I'd go somewhere safe if you can.

Best!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I wish you guys out there all the very best with this monster.

Remember your life is the most important thing. You can rebuild a house or a garden or move to Hawaii if you want. Just run away from this thing.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good luck. Our prayers go out to everyone affected in any way by the storm.  

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

New track has the eye of a cat 4 coming directly over my house. Essentially ground zero. I'm out of here. Going to the in laws in Orlando tomorrow morning. I took some "before pics," and not looking forward to taking the "after pics."

• Upvote 3

We evacuated today. We honestly did not have a good plan, and only finally settled on a place to which we could evacuate a few hours before leaving. It took all day yesterday and all this morning for me to figure out how to make and install plywood and cut-outs for my windows. Though my family has been riding out hurricanes for more than 100 years in Florida, This is my first rodeo, and it sucks.  It is really eerie. We're actually staying with my 90-year-old great aunt, who can remember the 1928 hurricane and we got here she started talking about how terrifying hurricanes are some of her memories. I guess there's always a bigger fish and a bigger storm. All y'all who are on that island, get off and get somewhere safe! And, in regard to other people's crap being left out, my neighbors landlord literally brought a trailer in with appliances and broken lawnmowers  and dumped them on the lawn at his property directly across from my house in order to let the hurricane wins handle the trash for him. I asked what the heck he was doing, and he dismissed me. I called the police, but they came and said they could do nothing, and that my only recourse would be to sue him once the appliances were hurled through my house. I guess my little garden is the least of my concerns, but I do hope my cannonball tree survives. I am attaching a photo of the appliances the evil neighbors landlord left directly across from the front of my home with full knowledge that there would be no trash pick up. And I've also attached a photo of the front of my house as it awaits this horrible hurricane.

5 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

We evacuated today. We honestly did not have a good plan, and only finally settled on a place to which we could evacuate a few hours before leaving. It took all day yesterday and all this morning for me to figure out how to make and install plywood and cut-outs for my windows. Though my family has been riding out hurricanes for more than 100 years in Florida, This is my first rodeo, and it sucks.  It is really eerie. We're actually staying with my 90-year-old great aunt, who can remember the 1928 hurricane and we got here she started talking about how terrifying hurricanes are some of her memories. I guess there's always a bigger fish and a bigger storm. All y'all who are on that island, get off and get somewhere safe! And, in regard to other people's crap being left out, my neighbors landlord literally brought a trailer in with appliances and broken lawnmowers  and dumped them on the lawn at his property directly across from my house in order to let the hurricane wins handle the trash for him. I asked what the heck he was doing, and he dismissed me. I called the police, but they came and said they could do nothing, and that my only recourse would be to sue him once the appliances were hurled through my house. I guess my little garden is the least of my concerns, but I do hope my cannonball tree survives. I am attaching a photo of the appliances the evil neighbors landlord left directly across from the front of my home with full knowledge that there would be no trash pick up. And I've also attached a photo of the front of my house as it awaits this horrible hurricane.

IMG_0330.JPG

Unbelievable :o .... maybe it will just blow it straight into his own house...that would be some just karma

Looks like they shifted the storm west again this am....Palm Beach looking like it's in the cross hairs now

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

That is criminal and idiotic. Glad you & Jason made the safe choice.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

11 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

New track has the eye of a cat 4 coming directly over my house. Essentially ground zero. I'm out of here. Going to the in laws in Orlando tomorrow morning. I took some "before pics," and not looking forward to taking the "after pics."

Good luck!

We're rooting for you!

Let us know you're safe!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Alex, just run and be safe.

Sue your neighbor's scummy landlord tomorrow, if it comes to that.

Let us know you're safe.

You're making the wise choice. I remember a lot of people didn't take Sandy seriously in 2012.

best

dave

Thoughts going out to all who may be affected by the storm -- stay safe, first priority.  The rest is just stuff.

A gentleman in Charleston talked about how he stayed at home through a bad hurricane when he was younger, "Worst experience of my life, what was I thinking?"

Evacuate if advised.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Having experienced the tsunami (which is something different but equally dangerous ) in down south  coast of Si Lanka, I am sincerely with all of you and hope you'll be safe.
Sadly and gladly, a garden can be replanted. But save your life first.
I hope we'll get good news after you come back home safely and you'll be back to normal life within few days.
( I remember how the normal life didn't come back so easily after the tsunami). 

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Jason, 

I see you're on Palmtalk now, are you in a safe location? 
Here in Switzerland we'll go to bed, I hope you'll spend the next 12 hours in good conditions.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

47 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

Having experienced the tsunami (which is something different but equally dangerous ) in down south  coast of Si Lanka, I am sincerely with all of you and hope you'll be safe.
Sadly and gladly, a garden can be replanted. But save your life first.
I hope we'll get good news after you come back home safely and you'll be back to normal life within few days.
( I remember how the normal life didn't come back so easily after the tsunami). 

I am in a much safer location. I'm in Orlando which will see hurricane conditions, power outages for a while, etc., but in an otherwise safer location than my home which is in ground zero, the impact zone of catastrophic proportions.  A 25 mile wabble in either direction will be of great benefit. I hve done everything I could do under the circumstances to secure my home but there some weaknesses for sure. I am hoping the house is habitable two days from now. 

1 hour ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

I am in a much safer location. I'm in Orlando which will see hurricane conditions, power outages for a while, etc., but in an otherwise safer location than my home which is in ground zero, the impact zone of catastrophic proportions.  A 25 mile wabble in either direction will be of great benefit. I hve done everything I could do under the circumstances to secure my home but there some weaknesses for sure. I am hoping the house is habitable two days from now. 

Will say a prayer for you, and all Floridians, this evening. 

My house may have dodged a bullet. Looks like the eye wall pushed about 20 miles further east which is a huge break. Although I'm expecting damage I am now more optimistic that my house is still standing. 

• Upvote 4

Power still on , but has been off briefly .
Flickering now .
Raining hard and steady.  Windy but……...
I have heard some stuff thudding outside .
Storm still to south , and the worst to come in next few hours .

Holly Hill . I am 400 ft. from the ICW ( west ) .

Good luck!

I assume that's the storm surge. Wondering what the actual surge level has been? Looks like the bend area around GA and SC are going to get most of it. Thankfully this system is steadily moving and the eye stayed offshore.

Edited by Xhoniwaters1

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

5 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

Close oneIMG_5208.thumb.JPG.0cfbca7563e3791572b7b

Wow, had it been a direct hit your house really would have gone.