IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of BS Man - Image Gallery

Pando

1 hour ago, Sabal Steve said:

Rob's garden will be next.  

People be like:

57e9cadb03995_Picture4.png.7297c181a6bc5

LMAO!!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

looking real nice Bill.

That Kentiopsis magnifica is looking sooo sweeeeeet!

awesome pictures Pando!!

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

44 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

looking real nice Bill.

That Kentiopsis magnifica is looking sooo sweeeeeet!

awesome pictures Pando!!

Thanks Josh, Most people may not recognize it , but for peeps to know, that's me hiding behind it #33 and 34....... and 35.

I also wanted to Thank Antonio, Sette, Chris, Jim, Len, Phillipe, Troy, Tracy, Keith, and Steve? for taking the time to look at my slice of flora.. :)

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I had the pleasure of seeing Bills place a few weeks back. He's got some real gems in there. He told me that his Dypsis "bef" was getting a little big for the yard & offered it to me if I dug it up. So I'm sub contracting that work out to Josh-o. For what it's worth Bill, the Kentiopsis needs more sun, so let me know if we (Josh) can make quick work of that too. Great pictures again Pando! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

7 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

I had the pleasure of seeing Bills place a few weeks back. He's got some real gems in there. He told me that his Dypsis "bef" was getting a little big for the yard & offered it to me if I dug it up. So I'm sub contracting that work out to Josh-o. For what it's worth Bill, the Kentiopsis needs more sun, so let me know if we (Josh) can make quick work of that too. Great pictures again Pando! 

Apparently I'm now suffering from memory loss too... "You kids get off my mulch"!!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

2 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Oh yeah, that was a great Dr. Pepper also Bill..

THAT I remember!! :wub:

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

Ando, great work in some challenging lighting and conditions with this entire gallery!

Thanks Tracy, no kidding, good eye spotting that. Everything looks peaceful in these pictures, but the wind was blowing, fronds were swaying wildly, sun was glaring into my eyes, and most of the time I couldn't see the camera's screen (no, that thing does not have a viewfinder, lol). And at the same time I tried to be careful not to step on any seedlings that were sprinkled about...

16 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Looks great Bill!  What happened to all the weeds?  I feel a little bit cheated. :D

Funny, Bill was busy trying to pluck them out right in front of me. I was like nonono, leave it!

See that image #63 of the Dypsis bef -- that little green sprout would have been a goner a millisecond later. But it adds just that extra flavor - a sense of scale - to the image. :lol:

H3hqnu7.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Hammer said:

Looks great Bill!  What happened to all the weeds?  I feel a little bit cheated. :D

Ando was very generous in his framing.... :D While the front yard is kinda under control.. the back yard is still over run, don't worry, old habits (and weeds) die hard.

• Upvote 3

You need an intervention on the back yard; you've got major planting potential back there. All you need is some major roto-tilling, amendments, full drip/ fertilization system, lighting, paths; etc. Heck, you've already got the palms. What's holding you up?

• Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

You need an intervention on the back yard; you've got major planting potential back there. All you need is some major roto-tilling, amendments, full drip/ fertilization system, lighting, paths; etc. Heck, you've already got the palms. What's holding you up?

:rolleyes::D You forgot adding the driveway and final stucco colorcoat for the addition..... really minor hurdles actually.......:bemused:

10 minutes ago, Shon said:

Is there any pictures of the backyard?

#58-65 were taken in back... :)  Glad you stopped by, was about to give you a link...

I honestly didn't know his yard looked that good.....after all these years we were led to believe he was a weed farmer.....lol. Guess he would need to move to Colorado for that.

• Upvote 2

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I remember looking at pics of Bill's yard when I first joined and thinking he had problem...little did I know all it took was patience to realize he's a gardening genius!   Place is looking great Bill!  We need some shots of the TVR to provide some structure to the landscape... 

Pando, once again you have done an excellent job, I nominate you to be Palmtalk's Official Photographer!

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

After getting back from getting some mulch, I spied this flamethrower at work out front and channeled Pando... :D

20161001_115654.thumb.jpg.d35fc042d982cd

for better or worse

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

After getting back from getting some mulch, I spied this flamethrower at work out front and channeled Pando... :D

:lol:  :lol:   That's awesome Bill! Looks like I missed the show by only a week...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I spied this flamethrower at work out front

The Flame thrower looks better on the big screen than on your phone Bill!  Thanks for stopping by this afternoon for the impromptu tour of my garden.  Will have to get up to your place and see in person what Ando has presented so well here in photos. 

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Bill and Pando, congratulations!

Pando the palm portrait perfectionist, you did another great job.

And Bill, your collection looks great! 

Thanks so much to both of you for my continuing virtual tour of the great California palm collections!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Cheers to Bill Big difference since I was there 2=3 years ago  Is really takin off. Your prestoniana is getting chunky. and that Baselinia gracilis looks great they can be tricky here.

• Upvote 1

Gorgeous plants and photos but I wish the species were listed! Who's up for a project? Botanical names, of course! To begin with, what are the palms in photo 1 and in photos 45/46?

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Nice stuff Bill!  The bromeliads really enhance the look.

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

1 hour ago, Missi said:

Gorgeous plants and photos but I wish the species were listed! Who's up for a project? Botanical names, of course! To begin with, what are the palms in photo 1 and in photos 45/46?

Photos 45/46: Dypsis decaryi x leptocheilos (Tribear hybrid)

Photo 1: Homo sapiens

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Missi said:

Wow... thats a project!  I'll try for 1-16 to start..kinda.. then someday more..lol

1.Homo sapiens in pink crownshaft, 

2-3 Jubea chilensis 

4. L to R, larger "trunks" Jubea, Kentiopsis magnifica is the curved trunk, Howea forsteriana, Howea forest x belmore hybrid, kinda hidden, but bigger behind hybrid is a Howea belmoreana, far right is a Sabal hybrid I think found at a Home Depot.

5-7 Sabal hybrid... maybe blackburniana x minor??

8. Dypsis onilahensis 

9. Dypsis decipeins .. "super duper" version...lol

10. Hedyscepe canterburyana

11-13.. look at 13. L to R. Larger palm to left of me , Howea belmoreana, "watermelon" trunk just off my shoulder is Chambeyronia macrocarpa, Golden trunk foreground center is Chambeyronia houliou (pronounced way-loo), small palm to far right is Actinokentia divartica.

14. the way to spot a C. houliou, a recurved leaf.

15. Dypsis rosea I believe is the current name..

16. Slender trunk to left is Dypsis rosea, Large monster trunk in back is a Phoenix hybrid.. of late I think a robellinii x capita, front and center is Chamaedorea benzii, large leaves to right is currently Dypsis nauseosa, was sp. "highland mealybug"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pando said:

Photos 45/46: Dypsis decaryi x leptocheilos (Tribear hybrid)

Technically I believe its a Dypsis leptocheilos x decaryi as normally the mother palm is listed first.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I believe its a Dypsis leptocheilos x decaryi as normally the mother palm is listed first.

On my visit to Len's (LVG), he had both decaryi x lepto and lepto x decaryi with each showing a unique bias toward the paternal side if I recall (which surprised me).  So yours is definitely lepto x decaryi?  Bill, you saw my cross which definitely is biased to the lepto side in appearance and was labeled lepto x decaryi when I got it.  I'm confused on all of this and which way the bias should be madre, papa or a complete coin toss? 

20 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Wow... thats a project!  I'll try for 1-16 to start..kinda.. then someday more..lol

1.Homo sapiens in pink crownshaft, 

2-3 Jubea chilensis 

4. L to R, larger "trunks" Jubea, Kentiopsis magnifica is the curved trunk, Howea forsteriana, Howea forest x belmore hybrid, kinda hidden, but bigger behind hybrid is a Howea belmoreana, far right is a Sabal hybrid I think found at a Home Depot.

5-7 Sabal hybrid... maybe blackburniana x minor??

8. Dypsis onilahensis 

9. Dypsis decipeins .. "super duper" version...lol

10. Hedyscepe canterburyana

11-13.. look at 13. L to R. Larger palm to left of me , Howea belmoreana, "watermelon" trunk just off my shoulder is Chambeyronia macrocarpa, Golden trunk foreground center is Chambeyronia houliou (pronounced way-loo), small palm to far right is Actinokentia divartica.

14. the way to spot a C. houliou, a recurved leaf.

15. Dypsis rosea I believe is the current name..

16. Slender trunk to left is Dypsis rosea, Large monster trunk in back is a Phoenix hybrid.. of late I think a robellinii x capita, front and center is Chamaedorea benzii, large leaves to right is currently Dypsis nauseosa, was sp. "highland mealybug"

Thanks! How long has your Jubea chilensis been there, or how old is it? It is awesome! Prehistoric! :wub:

Also, I'm pretty sure my weed gardens have got ya beat :wacko: Can't keep up with them in the S FL summer!

19 hours ago, Tracy said:

On my visit to Len's (LVG), he had both decaryi x lepto and lepto x decaryi with each showing a unique bias toward the paternal side if I recall (which surprised me).  So yours is definitely lepto x decaryi?  Bill, you saw my cross which definitely is biased to the lepto side in appearance and was labeled lepto x decaryi when I got it.  I'm confused on all of this and which way the bias should be madre, papa or a complete coin toss? 

Mine is definitely lepto x decaryii. From what I understand, most hybrids will mostly resemble the mother, that's why I seek out hybrids that are showing the "father" trait as they will often be quite different.

On 9/26/2016, 8:53:56, LJG said:
On 10/6/2016, 10:16:39, Tracy said:

On my visit to Len's (LVG), he had both decaryi x lepto and lepto x decaryi with each showing a unique bias toward the paternal side if I recall (which surprised me). 

16 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

From what I understand, most hybrids will mostly resemble the mother, that's why I seek out hybrids that are showing the "father" trait as they will often be quite different.

Stuff has really grown up nicely.

So Len, did I get it correct on the parentage of your crosses, relative to which way the appearance bias went (paternal vs maternal)?  I'm just curious if you selected as small plants as Len describes for ones that exhibit more of the appearance of the male?  Do plants and/orpalms specifically have more sex linked traits than other forms of life???  Just wondering why the appearance goes primarily to the female genetics.

Whooosh! Thats the sound of the details of the hybrid subject going over my head.... :blink:  Just know some basics... haha

Great photos and a great garden. Good work both of ya

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

29 minutes ago, Tracy said:

So Len, did I get it correct on the parentage of your crosses, relative to which way the appearance bias went (paternal vs maternal)?  I'm just curious if you selected as small plants as Len describes for ones that exhibit more of the appearance of the male?  Do plants and/orpalms specifically have more sex linked traits than other forms of life???  Just wondering why the appearance goes primarily to the female genetics.

How topical !

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3012#b

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2016, 5:28:11, Missi said:

Also, I'm pretty sure my weed gardens have got ya beat :wacko: Can't keep up with them in the S FL summer!

Pando very adeptly kept his camera high and most weeds were unseen.. I could scare the pants off you if I posted an "unedited" back yard weed pic..

But, heres a few more names....

17-19. Chamaedorea benzii

20. Chamaedorea klotzschiana, male to the right, female to the left.

21-24. extrapolate using previous info.. :D

25. Watermelon Chamby trunk to left, Dypsis sp. 'big red' =large pinate leaves

26-27. Dypsis sp. 'big red"

28. Chambeyronia sp "houliou" in foreground, watermelon trunk Chambeyronia macrocarpa in rear

29. Howea hybrid on left, Howea forsteriana on right and very sad Dypsis maroensetra in the middle. (Sad because voles were chewing on the trunk on the backside when weeds were out of control and they could easily hide. Half the trunk is gone in a 3-4" section, so I guess not bad considering... SAD compared to Andos!!!!!)

30. Dypsis rosea

• Upvote 1