Laaz

Lytocaryum insigne

Laaz

Any chance anyone has a lead on plants or seeds of Lytocaryum insigne? Seems they are as rare as hens teeth here in the US. Tried Floribunda but Jeff said he only had plants he was keeping for a seed source...

jimmyt

Wow Laaz,

Sounds as if you are going to need to sell one of your kidneys to get a Lytocaryum insigne!  :bemused:

I hope you find some as you have been searching for a while......................

Josue Diaz

Surely there are mature specimens in the US, but you may have to rely on Brazlian growers for seed on this species. Alberto has posted photos of his mature plants, perhaps he'll offer seed also some day. 

Laaz

Been searching for a few years now. Impossible to find here in the US.

Laaz

Bump...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday I took the following photos of some of the palms in my back yard World's Smallest Jungle
      View down the walk toward the Isabelle Canal

Left (east) of walk: Chamaedorea ernesti-augustii in pots and Hydriestele dransfieldii

Right (west) of walk: Kerriodoxa elegans

Pinanga cochinensis

Ravenea julietae and Chamaedorea geoniformis

Lytocaryum hoehnei

Lytocaryum weddellianum & Reinhardtia latisecta Compact x2

Pots of palm seedlings germinated this past growing season

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I went to the spring Palm Beach palm & cycad sale and one vendor had gorgeous Lytocaryum hoehnii in 3g pots. I'd never seen this species before. He also had Lytocaryum weddellianum in 1g pots. I've tried weddellianum before with dismal results and have since learned they have issues with my sweltering summers and prefer a more temperate climate. Still, I bit the bullet and grabbed one of each species. At home I repotted them and stashed them deep under canopy in my back yard jungle. So far, the hoehnii seems to be growing fine and looking good and may be a good candidate for my heat and humidity as long as it is kept in shade. The weddellianum is still alive and while it threatened a spear pull several months ago, is opening a new leaf. But it has scarcely grown since I bought it. I hope it can make it until cooler weather in late Oct. and be happier over winter. I don't think either species will accept my alkaline soil and will have to spend their lives in pots. Good thing they stay small. Yesterday I pulled them out of their shady canopies to take photos. These are for you, Pal Meir.
      Lytocaryum hoehnii, Cape Coral, FL

Lytocaryum weddellianum, Cape Coral, FL

• Laaz
      By Laaz
      10 Lyto's will be going in the ground this spring...

• Kai
      By Kai
      Hi,
      I have some very fresh Lytocaryum weddellianum pollen. The infloresence popped last night and I left only the female flowers on it. The male flowers can go to whoever wants to give hybridizing a try.
      All I ask in return is some of the produced seeds if pollination is succesfull.
      Cheers,
      Kai
    • Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      This is the first picture that presents photos of the eophylls of all four Lytocaryum spp together (L hoehnei, L insigne, L itapebiense, and L weddellianum; Lytocaryum is now considered as subgenus of Syagrus):