IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cuesta Linda, the estate of Jeffry and Christine Brusseau (PSSC Tour, Image Gallery)

Pando

On September 29, 2016 at 5:08:48 AM, Yunder Wækraus said:

Great photos! Spectacular garden! I wonder how they water that thing (and whose water they use--local, Colorado, or NorCal?)

Yunder

The garden is irrigated with over three and a half miles of schedule 40 pipe fed by thirty seven 1 1/2" valves supplying 18" Rainbird pop ups. Water is via VID our local water service provider. The system runs via an Irritrol controller and runs once to three times a week depending on the month and weather.

• Upvote 2

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

On September 24, 2016 at 1:02:08 PM, colin Peters said:

Crazy nice, thanks for sharing the photos. Very nice balance of dryer land plants and palms. One question, how wet is Jeff's area. Does it require lots of water?? Some of the

rainforest area looks like Hawaii.  

aloha

Colin

Vista receives approx. 11-13" of rain annually so we require supplemental irrigation weekly.

Day time temps average 76 degrees.

• Upvote 2

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

On September 28, 2016 at 11:03:21 PM, Hammer said:

Jeff, great garden.  One thing that really jumped out to me was the health of each individual plant.  Little if any brown tips. Bromiliads weren't burned nor showing dead leaves.  Remarkable attention to detail. 

Curious about 2 Beccariophoenix madagascariensis I saw in your garden. How old are they? How large at planting?  One of my favorite species. 

Thanks again for opening up the place to us all.

Hammer

there are several Beccariophenix growing in the garden.

the two largest are B. madagascarensis and are approx. twenty years old from a one gallon.

The more recent plantings are B.  alfredeii and are approx. five years old and growing faster than the originals.

• Upvote 1

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

With such beautiful photographs, we can discover palms and other plants, and at the same time enjoy the photography and learn or be inspired.

ICc9pvQ.thumb.jpg.9f43f339ec50eb44a06daa
Certainly I'll change the way I am photographing Doranakanda gardens and palms next time (december-january) , remembering all wonderful Pando's photos.

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Pando,

You have a beautiful light, at what time did you make these photos?

Philippe

Thanks Philippe, the last few images above were taken at about 10:30am. Taking pictures when the sun is low yields MUCH better results than when it's directly overhead. I always try to take advantage of the angle of lighting to bring out the wonderful details when the light is behind the subject, slightly at an angle, and not directly behind me.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Pando,

I try to catch the light the same way you do, but in Sri Lanka, the sun is almost never low enough, or at 06:00am :D

Looking forward to seeing your next photos. Thanks

Philippe

Too much into the light and you get lens flares like the one below. Sometimes it's tricky to keep the camera lens in the shadow (as I don't have a lens hood).

d7xsI1S.jpg

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Mr Rare said:

Hammer

there are several Beccariophenix growing in the garden.

the two largest are B. madagascarensis and are approx. twenty years old from a one gallon.

The more recent plantings are B.  alfredeii and are approx. five years old and growing faster than the originals.

Thanks Jeff!

I knew it would be a great meeting in a fantastic garden which is why I booked a flight all the way from Puerto Rico to join in.

It was not to be, but the photo journalism sure helps!

Cindy Adair

Jeff,

Your Pandanus really opened my eyes to how this plant species can flourish in Southern California. Very nice specimens I observed on the tour! How old and what size planted out? It provides a spectacular contrast in a Mediterranean climate So Cal garden, not to mention the stilt root effect! 

• Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

It's so wonderful to wake up to your photos, Pando.  Thanks so much for taking the trouble to take them and post them for our pleasure!

On 10/4/2016, 1:10:35, Pando said:
gDzec8N.jpg

kIFxe8r.jpg

RRewcYa.jpg

It's so wonderful to wake up to your photos, Pando.  Thanks so much for taking the trouble to take them and post them for our pleasure!

Is this a female encephalartos?  I wasn't aware females would put out more than one cone at a time.  I've only seen one very large cone on a couple of occasions here in Florida.  This one is gorgeous!

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎08‎:‎07‎, Pando said:

8MJsGb9.jpg

What is this big green trunked palm in the left-center? Some type of Psuedophoenix?

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Amazing Garden, thanks for showing this garden. Fantastic plant collection for sure. 

Can anyone ID this plant, I think I want one. Thanks. 

WyvPpwF.jpg