IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cuesta Linda, the estate of Jeffry and Christine Brusseau (PSSC Tour, Image Gallery)

Pando

13 minutes ago, Monòver said:

Aechmea blanchetiana

I understood it was a 1969 GTO, was I wrong? :D

More seriously, California is far, but I wish I was with you , sharing the happy vibe Dave is mentioning … and hearing someone naming the palms !

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

...loved the colors and layers...thanks for sharing...also loved the '69 GTO...I've got a '69 AMX.

• Upvote 2

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

51 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

I understood it was a 1969 GTO, was I wrong? :D

More seriously, California is far, but I wish I was with you , sharing the happy vibe Dave is mentioning … and hearing someone naming the palms !

1 hour ago, Monòver said:

Aechmea blanchetiana

haha! Yes I was referring to the GTO. The Aechmea is nice too though! 

• Upvote 1

Incredible garden. very near perfection!

;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

haha! Yes I was referring to the GTO. The Aechmea is nice too though! 

Lol :blush::floor:

Well, it is GTO blanchettiana:floor:

• Upvote 2

Man. My wife parks in front to swap out the kids and Ando just happens to catch it on camera :)

Pete, it's a 68 and I have never drove or ridden in it. No joke. My wife is the car girl and I'm the plant guy. She use to build old Ford Mustangs with her dad growing up. This GTO was her uncles car. 

Ok, back to palms. What a great tour. So glad Jeff opened up his garden and Ando was able photograph it. Jeffs garden is one of my all time favorites -regardless of climate. 

• Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

45 minutes ago, LJG said:

Man. My wife parks in front to swap out the kids and Ando just happens to catch it on camera :)

Pete, it's a 68 and I have never drove or ridden in it. No joke. My wife is the car girl and I'm the plant guy. She use to build old Ford Mustangs with her dad growing up. This GTO was her uncles car. 

Ok, back to palms. What a great tour. So glad Jeff opened up his garden and Ando was able photograph it. Jeffs garden is one of my all time favorites -regardless of climate. 

Looks like the Dukes came to visit you-know-who . . . :)

Concur about the garden, and thanks for your tourguiding, along with Bill.

Oh, file this one in the Good-Ass-Times file . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The garden, of course, is simply one of the most amazing, interesting and beautiful collections of palms, succulents, cycads and other ornamental plants that can be grown in California (along with many that I was sure could NOT be grown here, either).  But the photography should be applauded as well... not easy to photograph so many plants with such contrasting lighting, colors, shapes and sizes... makes my photos of the place seem rather dull in comparison, though the subject material was hard to beat.  Kudos to both Jeff and Pando.  And thanks again to Jeff and Christine for inviting all of us to see this extraordinary collection.  

• Upvote 4

Crazy nice, thanks for sharing the photos. Very nice balance of dryer land plants and palms. One question, how wet is Jeff's area. Does it require lots of water?? Some of the

rainforest area looks like Hawaii.  

aloha

The rainforest area was WET. But the unpaved trails were not muddy at all, no clay, and it looks like a good well-draining black soil back there full of organics.

One of the downsides in living in an excellent microclimate here is that lots of water is still needed to maintain this, otherwise it will revert back to barren native California landscape rather quickly.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

On 9/23/2016, 12:28:02, BS Man about Palms said:

Good try Pete... The most entertaining part is the Pontiac GTO is owned by Brenda GEIGER.... yes, car girl, married to plant guy Len...lol

FANTASTIC PICS AND GARDEN!!!!

weird!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Pando,

stoked Jeff let you post his awesome pictures here on PT for all of us to enjoy

Sunset zone 24

Thank you both, Mr. Brusseau and Pando for this great thread! 

The garden is simply unbelievable! When I was watching the pictures of the rainforest section,

I couldn't believe that it is IN California - no offense! The arrangement of anything is just breathtaking,

the photos themselves are masterpieces, too!

Thank you very much!

best regards

• Upvote 1

Beautiful Garden. Palms and Cycads looking superb.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Beautiful Garden. Palms and Cycads looking great.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Thanks for sharing all these photos with us. Unbelievable garden and I'm truly amazed on how manicured it is. Great job.

Mike Ricigliano

New Smyrna beach

Florida, zone 9 Beachside

It was our pleasure to open the garden to the Palm Society of Southern California and we thank all those members that attended.

It had been ten years since our last tour with this group and the garden has changed dramatically in that time.

I believe Ando has done an exceptional job of capturing the garden and he has some very exceptional photography skills!

This garden like most is a work in progress and we find great joy designing, installing , studying and maintaining the extensive plant palette.

We are blessed with an exceptional microclimate and soil strata and have done our best to choose complimentary plants that will excel in our garden.

Thanks to all that have visited either in person or by way of the photos  and shared in the experience of Cuesta Linda!

• Upvote 5

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

On 9/24/2016, 8:45:59, Josh-O said:

Pando,

stoked Jeff let you post his awesome pictures here on PT for all of us to enjoy

Josh, looking for you near that Jubea...  :floor:

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mr Rare said:

It was our pleasure to open the garden to the Palm Society of Southern California and we thank all those members that attended.

It had been ten years since our last tour with this group and the garden has changed dramatically in that time.

I believe Ando has done an exceptional job of capturing the garden and he has some very exceptional photography skills!

This garden like most is a work in progress and we find great joy designing, installing , studying and maintaining the extensive plant palette.

We are blessed with an exceptional microclimate and soil strata and have done our best to choose complimentary plants that will excel in our garden.

Thanks to all that have visited either in person or by way of the photos  and shared in the experience of Cuesta Linda!

Jeff, great garden.  One thing that really jumped out to me was the health of each individual plant.  Little if any brown tips. Bromiliads weren't burned nor showing dead leaves.  Remarkable attention to detail. 

Curious about 2 Beccariophoenix madagascariensis I saw in your garden. How old are they? How large at planting?  One of my favorite species. 

Thanks again for opening up the place to us all.

On 9/23/2016, 12:15:58, Pando said:

And this concludes the gallery for now, but there may be more coming later as I go through the photos I took.

Again, these pictures were posted WITH PERMISSION. A very special thanks to Jeff for allowing me to post the pictures here.

Great photos! Spectacular garden! I wonder how they water that thing (and whose water they use--local, Colorado, or NorCal?)

9 hours ago, Hammer said:

Josh, looking for you near that Jubea...  :floor:

sh*%!!!!

I took some heat for that picture.

Thanks Len :rant:

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

sh*%!!!!

I took some heat for that picture.

Thanks Len :rant:

Josh, the rules were quite clear. We all heard them prior to the tour. "Stay on the paths". Not sure why you felt the need to get your photo next to this Jubaea.

:)

cuesta-linda-PSSC-jubaea-chilensis-josh-2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

39 minutes ago, LJG said:

Josh, the rules were quite clear. We all heard them prior to the tour. "Stay on the paths". Not sure why you felt the need to get your photo next to this Jubaea.

I heard the same rules......why Josh?

3 hours ago, LJG said:

Pffffff....!!! just got thrown under lens buss..lol:floor:

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Josh-O said:

Pffffff....!!! just got thrown under lens buss..lol

I had a feeling this picture was going to surface..

Thank goodness Jeff was cool when I explained it was your idea :floor:

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, LJG said:

Yeah Josh.  Apparently there are two sets of rules.  One for Josh and one for the rest of us.   Yeesh man.

On 9/29/2016, 4:05:51, Hammer said:

Yeah Josh.  Apparently there are two sets of rules.  One for Josh and one for the rest of us.   Yeesh man.

ha!

Bet you didn't see the members only cocktail bar.

Gosh, I love these new set of rules :P

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, Josh-O said:

ha!

Bet you didn't see the members only cocktail bar.

Gosh, I love these new set of rules :P

:floor::floor:

• Upvote 1

I have been privileged to be able to tour Jeff's garden twice the first time in 210 and the second time in 2013 ! both times i have been blown away by the amazing palm collection and the landscaping and color co ordination is amazing ! Great pictures Pando !

The garden certainly has grown since 2013 and i see that the Ceroxylon Q is trunking at last !

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm glad you liked the pictures. Jeff's garden quite incredible.

The images I posted earlier was a fraction of the total number of shots I took over there. I'll be posting some more of them here for your enjoyment over the next few days/weeks.

RNf0Ugo.jpg

E2kwMDE.jpg

kliCbeO.jpg

pxBorIE.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1