IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brugmansia Lovers

Palm crazy

Are there any Brugmansia that are cool tolerant or at least the most cool tolerant that will bloom good. I am thinking about getting some, not sure which one would be best for my climate. 

I think they are generally tolerant of cool conditions as many of them are native to mountainous areas, but as far aso I have experienced, they are sensitive to frost.  Expect defoliation and limb loss after exposure to frost. They will resprout from the roots as long as the ground doesn't freeze though, and they are fast growers so people have had success with them in warm z8b I think (with heavy mulching). 

Thanks Jdiaz, Yeah there all cool tolerant but was looking for some species names that would be good for me. I did find a cool nursery that sales some seed of really usual types. I just missed buying vulcan types, they sold out in one day, darn it. Cool tolerant ones I am looking for can not be grown in warm places like FL or HI. 

Does anyone know if their easy to grow from seed? 

Thanks again for you response. 

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 years later...

I'm reviving this thread (rather than start a new one) to ask if anyone has had experience with 'Orange Marmalade'. I picked up a plant at Logee's (they're not far from me in CT) for Mobile, AL (8b). The tag says Zone 8 - can that be right? Most of the other brugmansias were rated Zone 10. A landscaper in Mobile confirmed what Mr. Diaz said about dieback in colder winters.

Also, if you have 'Orange Marmalade', how is its fragrance?

**crickets**

What do you guys put on your English muffins, if not orange marmalade?

I think it may be a new introduction by Logee's.

Edited by Manalto
completeness

2 hours ago, Manalto said:

**crickets**

What do you guys put on your English muffins, if not orange marmalade?

I think it may be a new introduction by Logee's.

..Apple butter, Agarita Jelly / Jaboticaba Jelly,  ( if i can find either ).. or,  plain ol' butta' ..Want to attempt making Syrup from Mesquite beans this year ..to answer the "What do i put on my English muffins question,  lol    anyhow..

As far as this Brugmansia, looks pretty new, possibly released just last year, or in 2017 and looks to be a warm type, thus i would suspect it is more sensitive to cold than hybrids / cultivars developed from cooler growing species..    Been a while since i have grown Brugs period, so i can't say how this one might fare in the winter, plus, i don't think winter cold exposure in San Jose CA would be on the same level as what cold you might experience there in Alabama. Regardless, i know that there have been years in the past where even larger plants back in San Jose suffered pretty bad die back during some of the worst freeze events, but came back like lightning once it warmed up in the spring..  Pretty tough plants, imo.

If the tag reads zone 8, i'll bet they're implying root hardiness, vs what kind of damage the top growth could handle.. Could be completely wrong however and  look forward to hearing how yours does through the coming months / after next winter..

No idea on the scent of the flowers on this particular one.. but know you don't want to smell 'em for too long.. same chemical compounds that can really mess up your day if you ate part of the plant are, to some degree,  supposedly exuded in the flowers' fragrance and can make you sick, same with the awesome, coconut /chocolate scent of  Chalice Vine ( Solandra sp. ).  A basic thought is the scent would be similar to other Brugmansia, or so i'd suspect. Again, not 100% certain of that however..

You might, if you haven't yet already, take a look over at the Brugmansia Growers International website.. Stubled across it while digging around a bit on info. on this cultivar, looks like a great resource.. Just what i need, another website to spend hours on doing research, lol:interesting:

Jaboticaba, huh. Have to look that one up.

Thanks, Silas, for your reply. I'm new to Brugmansias so wasn't aware of the warm/cool distinction, other than thinking those cultivars marked Zone 8 had a different parentage than the Zone 10 plants. I'll take a look at the Brugmansia Growers' site.

I was aware of their toxicity but it never occurred to me (although it makes perfect sense, pardon the pun) that the scent would carry those same compounds. Interesting! You won't find epiphyte and me out behind the dumpster getting a brugmansia high, despite these recent revelations.

4 hours ago, Manalto said:

Jaboticaba, huh. Have to look that one up.

Thanks, Silas, for your reply. I'm new to Brugmansias so wasn't aware of the warm/cool distinction, other than thinking those cultivars marked Zone 8 had a different parentage than the Zone 10 plants. I'll take a look at the Brugmansia Growers' site.

I was aware of their toxicity but it never occurred to me (although it makes perfect sense, pardon the pun) that the scent would carry those same compounds. Interesting! You won't find epiphyte and me out behind the dumpster getting a brugmansia high, despite these recent revelations.

Not a problem, Growing up seeing them growing around San Jose / S.F. Bay Area, i also thought that brugs preferred cooler conditions until seeing specimens in FL and gaining insight into both types..  I think, though not positive, that related Iochroma have both warm /cool tolerant types / sp. also. Would suspect, as is your thought, that the one you picked up, and / or others there labeled for zone 8 likely have a good degree of cool tolerant sp. mixed in the cross / hybrid..

Lol, yea, i can't imagine anyone intentionally consuming parts of the plant to essentially become a zombie.. would imagine it wouldn't taste good either..  I mentioned the flowers since years ago, while at the summer BBQ the nursery i worked for puts on each year, daughter of a co-worker's friend had picked a flower of one of the plants on the other side of the nursery, and came back to where everyone was sitting with her face planted in the flower.. lol, kids..    Needless to say there was lots of "..oh no no no.." and smiles..  No harm done, and a teachable moment..

If you have never tasted the fruit on Jaboticaba, you're in for a treat..  Don't think they'd survive in the ground where you are, but are pretty easy in containers if you have some space. Red, White, and Blue - fruited types fruit the fastest, roughly 3-5 or 6 years from seed or 3gal plants.. More commonly known purple / black -fruited types tend to be slooww.. and can take anywhere from 6-15 ( maybe longer ) years to fruit from a small plant.. So you have to pay $$ to get a specimen that will be of flowering / fruiting age, or closer to it.. Taste of the fruit is similar to Concord Grapes, maybe a touch sweeter, with some people adding notes of vanilla or something similar to the taste..  Red-fruiting types can bear several crops of fruit per year.. My personal favorite as far as flavor and overall ease of growing.  Can make everything from Jelly, wine, tarts, etc w/ the fruit, if you or someone in the family cooks. There in the south, i'm sure someone with a little imagination could put together something 'real nice with the fruit..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I used to see them growing in San Francisco which receives a very tiny bit of snow every 15 years or so, but does see a frost or 3 every year. They were always growing against a house and facing west.

Richard

This winter there were six days below freezing in Mobile, so not so different in that respect. Everyone comments on the speed of their recovery from dieback. Sometimes that's not such a bad thing - it keeps the plant's size under control.

The Brugmansia Growers categorize 'Orange Marmalade' a "warm" and noted that it was introduced in 2017.  I'll report back if there's anything noteworthy about this cultivar. I have an (some might say perverse) affinity for orange in the garden, despite its status as the least-favorite color of most gardeners. Bright yellow is the color that I avoid.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm in central Connecticut at the moment and occasionally brugmansia can be spotted here as a tropical accent in the landscape. We are quickly approaching the average first frost date (we've already had a light frost) so, when I saw a pale orange brugmansia at the entrance of a gated community, I slammed on the brakes. I'm not 100% sure of the ethics of my next move, but I justify my "rustling"with the aforementioned frost date and the sensitivity of my surgery. (Having said that, it would be, at my age, extremely embarrassing to get in trouble. I just didn't have the patience to seek out the proper person to ask permission.) So, I did a quick search on propagating brugmansia and chose a couple of branches at the back of the plant brushing up against a rock.

Apparently, brugmansia propagation is a cinch. Stems the diameter of a magic marker seem to work best. Remove all but a couple of leaves  to reduce stress  on  the cutting. They will root in water or potting soil. I did both. Choose a window with bright indirect light. Keep the potting soil moist and change the water, if you're using that method, every other day. One week later, the cuttings look nice and perky.

Father, I am sorry for these and all my sins.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2016 at 12:29 AM, Jdiaz31089 said:

I think they are generally tolerant of cool conditions as many of them are native to mountainous areas, but as far aso I have experienced, they are sensitive to frost.  Expect defoliation and limb loss after exposure to frost. They will resprout from the roots as long as the ground doesn't freeze though, and they are fast growers so people have had success with them in warm z8b I think (with heavy mulching). 

I agree.  I have a couple on the south side of the house that will freeze down to the ground and regrow yearly.  Size is limited by the growing season/freeze each year.  It does help to mulch/protect them for winter.  I am in Zn 8b.

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

If you have never tasted the fruit on Jaboticaba, you're in for a treat.. 

Wow, that brings back memories of my trips to Minas Gerais, Brasil.  One of the more interesting fruiting trees - like having grapes growing on tree trunks!  Very common fruit in Belo Horizonte where I was introduced to the fruit.  We'd eat them like muscadines - squeezing the clear fruit into our mouths and tossing the skin and spitting out the seeds.  I tried growing one from seeds I'd brought back with me but no luck.  I should try again...

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

10 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Wow, that brings back memories of my trips to Minas Gerais, Brasil.  One of the more interesting fruiting trees - like having grapes growing on tree trunks!  Very common fruit in Belo Horizonte where I was introduced to the fruit.  We'd eat them like muscadines - squeezing the clear fruit into our mouths and tossing the skin and spitting out the seeds.  I tried growing one from seeds I'd brought back with me but no luck.  I should try again...

They're awesome, simple as that..  That said, ..and as I've mentioned, Red fruited varieties / crosses tend to fruit a whole lot faster from seed ( 3-6 years ) than a majority of the purple / black -fruited types ( 5- 10 / 10+ years ) Also found the red fruited types were sweeter than others I'd tasted at the same event.. Could be the darker fruited fruit offered were just shy of perfectly ripe, or,  maybe juts not a good year on those particular plants.. There are some well established, mature specimens growing in San Diego now so ill be able to make better comparisons between the dark fruited varieties later..

Regardless, you can't go wrong growing any of them.  Easy in containers also, just try and use rain / distilled water more often than water from the tap ( or is what I have seen mentioned numerous times, experiences with my own plants. ) White, Yelow,  Purple / Black, and Red Jabos I had appeared most sensitive to our hard water. Stragely enough, my Blue Jabo has been the hardiest.. burns a bit in the summer, despite where it sits under the covered patio, but survives and isn't as adversely effected by water quality..  White Jabo I have is slowly getting back to something close to decent looking after moving it from the shade house to where it's shaded much more. Has been barely hanging on since after the first summer here. 

Aside from seed, you should be able to locate plants of various size also, to get off to a faster start. Aside from the most common types, rarer / more obscure cultivars from Brazil are starting to appear into the US now as well ( thanks in part to Adam Saffron, Flying Fox Fruits / other collectors ). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Red fruited varieties / crosses tend to fruit a whole lot faster from seed ( 3-6 years ) than a majority of the purple / black -fruited types ( 5- 10 / 10+ years ) Also found the red fruited types were sweeter than others

I've only ever seen the black/purple type on my travels either on the streets of the city or for sale in the markets.  I had no idea there were others.  I'll definitely look into the red fruited variety - sounds like one I should try!  Thanks Nathan!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

43 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I've only ever seen the black/purple type on my travels either on the streets of the city or for sale in the markets.  I had no idea there were others.  I'll definitely look into the red fruited variety - sounds like one I should try!  Thanks Nathan!

All I can say is  ..Welcome to the Jaboticaba dungeon, Good luck trying to escape, lol:D 

There's a reason the ' Jaboticabaholics Anonymous ' thread, over on the Trop. Fruit Forum, is up to 56 pages, 1387 replies, and ...215,634 views,   that's over 200K people checking out / reading thru.. ONE thread, granted it was started back in 2013.  Add that there are several additional Jaboticaba - related threads there also.  Want to say only  Mango and/ or Avocado - related threads are more popular. Could be wrong though..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My parents and grandparents have had brugmansia for 20 or more years in the ground in 7b. 

They have yellow and white flower colors. 

Every year the frost eventually kills them, and they cut them down to the ground and do not mulch over them. 

Every year they come back and by the end of fall are easily over 15 ft tall. 

I believe they are a lot hardier than a lot of resources claim they are. 

• Like 1

I grow the common 'Charles Grimaldi' variety in a pot  [https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=2555 ] and it stays outdoors year-round under the shelter of my pergola. This picture is from today.

Pergola2019fall.png

• Like 1