IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter, please go away!

Pip

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

It was a tiger snake alright. The ones down this way are jet black above (to absorb heat from the sun in the cooler air down here) and yellow underneath. Their colour scheme varies throughout their range. Some further north have the yellow stripes down the side. I don't mind them being here provided they are spotted every now and again. In 3 years I have spotted 5 on the property. Mostly they are just moving through. I've not seen any just sun baking for example. Too risky with all the birds that would want to eat them like eagles which hang around a bit. They're part of the ecology and I don't think they have some sick psychopathic mind that wants to kill humans. They just want to be left alone, eat a frog or two and have their own little territory away from humans. But I never want to be unfortunate enough to startle one, because it would be on for one and all and I hope I can react faster than they can strike.

I read about the untreated mortality rate from a tiger snake's bite is reported to be between 40 and 60%.. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

10 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

I read about the untreated mortality rate from a tiger snake's bite is reported to be between 40 and 60%.. 

That's correct. Pet dogs normally get bitten. Our dogs are mainly house dogs.

The tiger snake flattens out it's head like a cobra just before it strikes. I've had one do that here about 2m away from me. I think we were both startled to see each other.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well the Torture never stops and I'm not talking the song by Frank Zappa, it's this stinkin weather. The morning started OK, but by 10am it blew it's bags off from the west, the sort of wind that takes down limbs and the occasional tree and went from intermittent bits of sunshine to pelting rain and went on like that alternating every 10 minutes for the entire stinkin day. We had to shear the sheep, then I got back onto the whipper snipper in gale force showers and whipped away at clover. Then when I ran out of 2 stroke, I got on the ride on mower and attempted to mow 600mm high clover at mega slow speed. I'm glad I got a tow behind electric weed sprayer as I will use that to stop the weeds starting. It's freezing cold now and the fire has been lit. Too cold even down here for the end of October.

Pip I believe this junk is heading to Adelaide.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone, that is sucky...you need to re-locate again... :)

Trying hard to remember winter here...

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

39 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Well the Torture never stops and I'm not talking the song by Frank Zappa, it's this stinkin weather. The morning started OK, but by 10am it blew it's bags off from the west, the sort of wind that takes down limbs and the occasional tree and went from intermittent bits of sunshine to pelting rain and went on like that alternating every 10 minutes for the entire stinkin day. We had to shear the sheep, then I got back onto the whipper snipper in gale force showers and whipped away at clover. Then when I ran out of 2 stroke, I got on the ride on mower and attempted to mow 600mm high clover at mega slow speed. I'm glad I got a tow behind electric weed sprayer as I will use that to stop the weeds starting. It's freezing cold now and the fire has been lit. Too cold even down here for the end of October.

Pip I believe this junk is heading to Adelaide.

It was a beautiful day here in Adelaide, warm with clear blue skies.  I cleaned my pool and enjoyed the sun. I even had the house completely open. The clouds have returned this evening trapping the heat and increasing the humidity. Rain is expected tomorrow with temperatures in the low 20s for most of the week so maybe we will have a week of spring before the real heat. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Daryl said:

Tyrone, that is sucky...you need to re-locate again... :)

Trying hard to remember winter here...

Daryl

Yes, I'm of the same opinion. If we leave here it will be for QLD this time. I've a soft spot for Mackay. Gotta a few responsibilities here at the moment but if that changes........

Oct averaged 7.3C min 20.9C max, colder than May 2016 and June 2015. About 5C cooler than Oct last year.

Premium weather conditions here at the moment - finally.

Saturday 35c, those palms that sustained wind and cold damage are going to scorch up nicely. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Peter G said:

Premium weather conditions here at the moment - finally.

Saturday 35c, those palms that sustained wind and cold damage are going to scorch up nicely. 

That'll hurt on Saturday. Keep everything moist. Here is forecast 24C on Sat so my place may be around 29C which will be nice.

October ended up with an average maximum temperature of 36.0 and average minimum of 24.0. Interestingly enough this morning 6:00AM it was 26.5 at my place. Rainfall for the month was double my average, but over half of that came in 30 minutes.

This is the outlook for the first part of November.

forecast161031.jpg.de15c6dff546093e842f6

• Upvote 1

Strewth, 37c on Saturday now! 

Was looking at a video of my garden, taken same time last year, everything was looking nice and green and lush, this year, wind burnt and cold damaged. 

It's been an emotional 5 months here :( 

10 hours ago, Peter G said:

Strewth, 37c on Saturday now! 

Was looking at a video of my garden, taken same time last year, everything was looking nice and green and lush, this year, wind burnt and cold damaged. 

It's been an emotional 5 months here :( 

I can commiserate with you. It's been savage. Our rains started in May and didn't stop until a couple of weeks ago.

Luckily I think it was an out of the ordinary type of event. For my area, people who have been here for decades have not seen a winter like what we had. Old people say it was like the winters used to be back 50 years ago.

We will rebuild though.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

While you rejoice with the onset of summer down under,. We on the other hand are having for the nastiness of winters grip to come.  

We got our first "frozen" precipitation here in Saturday with that nasty cold front that brought 2 full days of winds over 50mph.  It was in the form of sleet Saturday evening around 4:30 Saturday afternoon.   At 3pm it was mostly sunny and 71F.  By 4 the first gusts of wind came through and then all hell broke loose not long after.   By 4:30 it has dropped to  35f going down to 29 that night.   YUK.    winter please go away!  

• Upvote 1