IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter, please go away!

Pip

We've been having a few sprinkles around helping to keep the temperatures down the past few days. Some places have even been lucky enough to get some reasonable showers, not here though. But in a couple of days we'll be back into the devil's armpit again.

n_pt161004.jpg

29 minutes ago, tropicbreeze said:

We've been having a few sprinkles around helping to keep the temperatures down the past few days. Some places have even been lucky enough to get some reasonable showers, not here though. But in a couple of days we'll be back into the devil's armpit again.

n_pt161004.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, that's hardly winter! My brother who lives in Jabiru says that there has been some good early rain falls most of the rivers are flowing well but no flooding.

Received our first double digit min since Aug 4. 11.4C. Woohoo. The frogs have all got loud too.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 04/10/2016, 4:18:14, Pip said:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, that's hardly winter! My brother who lives in Jabiru says that there has been some good early rain falls most of the rivers are flowing well but no flooding.

It's all relative. We get those temperatures in late winter. In spring they become more consistent.

n_pt161008.jpg

Interesting thing with Jabiru this year. Their average rainfall for September was about 7mm, with Septembers in most years having 0 rain. This last September they had over 240 mm of rain and even one day with a maximum temperature below 30C. A few other localities up here got well above average rainfall as well, but nothing like what Jabiru got. Strange goings on during September. A bit more back to normal now, today we have an absolutely clear blue dry season sky.

Another thing here, cricket is a winter sport and footy a summer sport. Not everything has to be the same as down south.

• Upvote 1

Well, winter keeps kicking us in the ........... over here. Now the weather is pulsating between nice and horrible, not just horrible all the time. Temps have come up by 3C at night over Sep and the days have come up by 2C, so that's a positive but we have more gale force winds thunderstorms etc etc, rain I don't need. I lost a few more large branches off my trees today, probably weakened by last weekends 100kph blows. My garden is just depressing to look at. Clover has taken over in open areas, the lawn can't be mowed as it's still inundated in areas. My bamboo walkway continues to die from drowning. I was whipper snippering clover in my fruit orchard until I ran out of line and was completely covered in green as that stuff just explodes like lettuce in a blender, especially in gale force winds. I'm dreaming about selling everything and moving to Mackay in QLD I tell you. I don't care about the Taipans, Olive Pythons, King Browns, Portuguese Men of War, and crocodiles. I really don't.

Still, I can't really complain when you see what's happening in the US.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

A nippy 6 overnight and a stinking 35 today, typical western suburbs spring. I hate this place.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

6 hours ago, peachy said:

A nippy 6 overnight and a stinking 35 today, typical western suburbs spring. I hate this place.

That's what my summers here can be like. 30C difference between night and day.

49 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

That's what my summers here can be like. 30C difference between night and day.

This is very California like, as well.

• Upvote 2

The misery ends on Tuesday, we've got 26c, followed by 30c on Wednesday. 

The Winter/Spring period, thus far, has been awful, rarely seen a day above 20c. Garden is a mess.

• Upvote 1

Peter, you'd have had your fair share of high damaging winds and even salt spray on your coastal location. 

Thankfully they're forecasting 24C on Wed, so we could see a 28 or 29C here.

22 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

This is very California like, as well.

30f difference in Cali. But unless it's certain parts of the Cali desert(and in very weird days), I haven't heard of 30c difference between temps in Cali.. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

5 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

30f difference in Cali. But unless it's certain parts of the Cali desert(and in very weird days), I haven't heard of 30c difference between temps in Cali.. 

Really? 5c in my backyard 2 days ago 34c today. Happens ALL the time in Cali. And I'm not in the desert.

Here's yesterday. I'm not sure what part of Cali you are referring to but it's VERY common.

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 9.19.17 PM.png

Edited by NorCalKing
Added graphic.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Really? 5c in my backyard 2 days ago 34c today. Happens ALL the time in Cali. And I'm not in the desert.

I meant in the same day. 5c?! Wow. What sunset zone are ya in?  

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

5 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I meant in the same day. 5c?! Wow. What sunset zone are ya in?  

I edited my post showing yesterday. Here's today: 26c difference. Im in sunset 14.

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 9.25.28 PM.png

Edited by NorCalKing
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the info. Yeah, that is kinda extreme.

For some reason I couldn't copy-paste (screenshot) mine into paint. But here is the link to my weather info.

My weather down here has much less pronounced contrast between day-night than yours.

But here is the link to mine.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ITIJUANA2#history

Edited by GottmitAlex

25 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Thank you for the info. Yeah, that is kinda extreme.

For some reason I couldn't copy-paste (screenshot) mine into paint. But here is the link to my weather info.

My weather down here has much less pronounced contrast between day-night than yours.

But here is the link to mine.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ITIJUANA2#history

No problem. Yeah they are crazy differences, and extremely dry! I'd take your much more stable climate any day. Most my plants don't like the chilly nights. Check out my average humidity, as well as dew points. They're crazy!

For quick reference I've attached your monthly's next to mine.

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 10.03.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 10.07.47 PM.png

• Upvote 1

Interesting stats.

I've recorded quite a few large swings between max and min on summer days here, but weirdly it's not due to extremely low dewpoints. We could be down as low as 5 or 6c with 100% RH, then in the 30's C with maybe 50% RH on the same day. I'm pretty sure it's due to my property being in a small valley so cold air drainage is always ever present here. I'm far enough inland (about 5 miles) to escape most of the cooling effect of the southern ocean during the day (I'm about 5C warmer than the beach areas) and then at night (when all the winds get switched off and everything goes dead still and you can hear a pin drop) the inland areas radiate heat back into space and all the cool air drains into my property again. On those nights I get a heavy dew on everything, even in summer.  It's a weird situation.

• Upvote 1

Well we had a balmy 29C on Thursday but the rubbish returned yesterday and today. Today blew it's bags off with hail at one point 3-4mm diameter. Most of the day it either drizzled or hammered down with rain with high winds all the time. We are now past 1000mm of rain and this entire week looks to be much the same. I'm over the weather and this place. Forget what the tourist brochures tell you, Albany has the worst climate in WA maybe even all of Australia. Maybe if you're really old and can't handle anything over 22C and enjoy a nice hot cup of broiled cabbage stew, you'd just love it down here, while your couped up in your house in front of the heater in December! It always blows a gale somewhere on the day from potentially any direction buts mostly the west or southwest. It's damp miserable and depressing. This morning I coined a new weather description for this place, "Ridonkulously turderific". It's also the way I feel getting up in the morning to a crapola day of rain hail and high winds.

I'm pouring a big glass of red now.

• Upvote 1

Hot winds are currently blowing here ahead of that rubish weather you just discribed, Tyron. Another week of crappy weather ahead fingers crossed it fines up by next weekend. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty close to breaking point now, heater on, pleading with the wife to move to Queensland. Looks like we will skip Spring this year and go straight to Summer.

My big trunking Veitchia Johannis is now completely defoliated :( 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Peter G said:

Pretty close to breaking point now, heater on, pleading with the wife to move to Queensland. Looks like we will skip Spring this year and go straight to Summer.

My big trunking Veitchia Johannis is now completely defoliated :( 

Man, it's bad up there in Perth too. I know exactly where you are coming from Peter. In all the years I grew Veitchia joannis in Perth they never defoliated. We drew the short straw on the west coast this year I think. I bought another load of wood for the fire.

Down here they were predicting a drier than average Oct, Nov and then a wetter than average Dec Jan. They've now changed it to average rainfall for Oct Nov and above average Dec Jan. When you're in the tropics and subtropics a wetter Dec Jan means more rainfall generated from tropical storms. But down here it means more cold fronts. So it looks like summer will not arrive this year for us. Maybe Spring will be winter, summer will be spring, autumn may be autumn or it may start winter again. If we get an early winter again next year I'm going to go completely crazy.

4 hours ago, Pip said:

Hot winds are currently blowing here ahead of that rubish weather you just discribed, Tyron. Another week of crappy weather ahead fingers crossed it fines up by next weekend. 

At least you had a nice Saturday.

I was whipper snipping clover again in the rain today. Bitterly cold and wet.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

At least you had a nice Saturday.

I was whipper snipping clover again in the rain today. Bitterly cold and wet.

I spent the day cleaning the pool still far to cold for swimming. The rain began falling at about 8am this morning and after two hours it hasn't stopped.

• Upvote 1

Looks like some good weather is finally coming along. Sat thru Monday at least is sunny with no rain forecast and days from 20-24C (for Albany) and double digit nights. Out my way I may not quite get the double digit nights but the days will be 24-28C which should dry things right out hopefully. If I crack into it this weekend I may even get all the grass mowed and the 80% of the weed whacking completed. :)

On 10/9/2016, 6:37:06, GottmitAlex said:

Where I grew up in CA averaged about a 20C swing in the summer. It could be close to a 25C swing on hotter days.

40 minutes ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

Where I grew up in CA averaged about a 20C swing in the summer. It could be close to a 25C swing on hotter days.

Here in TJ/San Diego area a 20-25f swing is expected. But here again, a 25-30C swing (same day), is not a regular occurrence.

Although I am impressed with NorcalKing's numbers up in Livermore, CA. I can only assume colder towns in Cali will have those 25c occurrences at an increased frequency than the hotter places. (Not including deserts of course, where I know 30C+ swings do occur).

Going from 77F to freezing in the same day must be horrible.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Here in TJ/San Diego area a 20-25f swing is expected. But here again, a 25-30C swing (same day), is not a regular occurrence.

Although I am impressed with NorcalKing's numbers up in Livermore, CA. I can only assume colder towns in Cali will have those 25c occurrences at an increased frequency than the hotter places. (Not including deserts of course, where I know 30C+ swings do occur).

I was raised in Stockton, which was horrible for many reasons :-) However, the 20-25C swings were in the summer, so it was actually nice to have things cool down. I grew up without central air conditioning, so a 100F day would be followed by a 60F night, which would allow me to sleep on the couch near an open door for relief. Our winter swings weren't as dramatic, though, because winter highs hover between 45F and 65F, and winter lows hover between 25 and 40.

8 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

I should add that it rarely got above 110F during the day and rarely below the high 50s (F) at night, so I don't think a swing of more than 60F ever occurred (which I'm guesstimating is about 25 C)

Freezing cold day today. Underneath clouds, out of the sun, and with a bit of drizzle, the windchill this morning was biting. Now at 7.40pm it's down to 6.4C and clear skies. Gonna be cold. Looking forward to high twenties on the weekend.

Had a 1C minimum which is really cold for late October even here and a sunny max of 25.8C. A difference of 24.8C.

I'll 'pass' on that weather, thanks Tyrone!

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yesterday was a strange day here. We had the coldest daily maximum for over 15 months, only got to 26.6 (after a minimum of 23.9). I woke up around 4:30AM to the sound of light rain. It was very much like very weak monsoonal although, going by the radar, was a bit heavier along the north coast. Got 7.2mm to 9:00AM then another 0.6mm up to late afternoon. Stayed overcast all day.

Average maximum for October so far is 36.4 so 26.6 is a huge drop. In the last 15 months we've only had 14 days below 30 (a couple of those 29.9).

Forecast for today is back up to 37 with 38 for the following 6 days and negligible chance of rain. High evaporation rate will soon wipe out any gains, but at least it was a lot better than getting nothing.

Let's hope you get a good wet season Tropicbreeze.

Min here was 6.1C last night and by 7.45am it was already 25.5C. Talk about seesawing temps. I'm glad to see the ground drying out now. Have got the retic on the nursery area going as all the pots are drying out.

Saw my first tiger snake yesterday swimming thru the floating azola fern on the top dam. Jet black above, bright yellow underneath. (I reckon a new Mustang in that colour scheme would look awesome). Needless to say I was very cautious as I was weed whacking yesterday. Gotta get the weeds down or the snakes will take up residence here.

6.1C min to 29.5C max today. Beautiful day. Got the lawn mowed properly and the whipper snippering got a little further along. Cool weather is coming tomorrow and for most of the week. The warmth was good while it lasted.

Tyrone, I guess when it all boils down I don't think I'd swap my weather for yours. Although, a bit more rain wouldn't go astray. In an interview, BOM said last Saturday was the coldest day for four and a half years and the coldest October day on record.

20 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Tyrone, I guess when it all boils down I don't think I'd swap my weather for yours. Although, a bit more rain wouldn't go astray. In an interview, BOM said last Saturday was the coldest day for four and a half years and the coldest October day on record.

Yeah, I reckon I have one of the worst climates in coastal Australia. It's depressing I tell you. Yet everyone down here says how "beautiful it is" and that you don't need an airconditioner and that you can always sleep at night in summer. But no one down here has a swimming pool and that tells you something.

• Upvote 1

On 23/10/2016, 11:36:34, Tyrone said:

Let's hope you get a good wet season Tropicbreeze.

Min here was 6.1C last night and by 7.45am it was already 25.5C. Talk about seesawing temps. I'm glad to see the ground drying out now. Have got the retic on the nursery area going as all the pots are drying out.

Saw my first tiger snake yesterday swimming thru the floating azola fern on the top dam. Jet black above, bright yellow underneath. (I reckon a new Mustang in that colour scheme would look awesome). Needless to say I was very cautious as I was weed whacking yesterday. Gotta get the weeds down or the snakes will take up residence here.

Sounds more like a yellow bellied black snake than a tiger. A couple of years ago I found a half acre block, absolute beach front on the 90 Mile Beach in Victoria, couldn't believe how affordable it was too, till I wandered around for a few minutes. Bloody joint was crawling with tiger snakes. Weather wise here it's single figures at night and 30 or above in the day. Had a few brief showers but nothing of any benefit.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

And they say whinging doesn't achieve anything! Yesterday afternoon a storm came through, quick and severe. Lasted less than 30 minutes but the strong winds brought down branches. My rainfall total for the month went from below average to double average. My dry dam in the morning went to a half metre deep in the afternoon. Last night hundreds of frogs descended on the dam and the collective roar of their calls drowned out all other sounds. Finally the wet season has really arrived. The forecast temperatures for the next 7 days are maximums of 37 right through. The steamy conditions will be welcomed by the plants that survived this past dry season.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, peachy said:

Sounds more like a yellow bellied black snake than a tiger. A couple of years ago I found a half acre block, absolute beach front on the 90 Mile Beach in Victoria, couldn't believe how affordable it was too, till I wandered around for a few minutes. Bloody joint was crawling with tiger snakes. Weather wise here it's single figures at night and 30 or above in the day. Had a few brief showers but nothing of any benefit.

It was a tiger snake alright. The ones down this way are jet black above (to absorb heat from the sun in the cooler air down here) and yellow underneath. Their colour scheme varies throughout their range. Some further north have the yellow stripes down the side. I don't mind them being here provided they are spotted every now and again. In 3 years I have spotted 5 on the property. Mostly they are just moving through. I've not seen any just sun baking for example. Too risky with all the birds that would want to eat them like eagles which hang around a bit. They're part of the ecology and I don't think they have some sick psychopathic mind that wants to kill humans. They just want to be left alone, eat a frog or two and have their own little territory away from humans. But I never want to be unfortunate enough to startle one, because it would be on for one and all and I hope I can react faster than they can strike.