IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter, please go away!

Pip

Well winter 2016 has been one of the wettest on record for southern Australia. The last storm to move through has caused quite a bit of damage with mudslides, fallen trees and flooding. I'm over it please spring come back. Just to remind you what you look like here is photo!

FB_IMG_1473989949967.jpg.80b501319b79722

• Upvote 7

:lol: I'm laughing at this a little.. Flagstaff  AZ and the Grand Canyon recorded their first 28-32F lows of the Fall this morning, Yuck:sick: 

Ohwell, at least no more 110F+ heat ahead for us, just please.. lets keep anything lower than 35F to the bare minimum this winter:innocent:

Like the picture choice Pip, even devoid of anything palmy.

There are no plams because the region of Australia I call home has no native palms and the area in the photo is at the very southern edge of the city near Sellicks Beach that has a  very tiny population. Therefore there aren't enough mature urban palms to spread seeds. I'm sure that one day Phoenix canariensis will colonise that section of coast

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:lol: I'm laughing at this a little.. Flagstaff  AZ and the Grand Canyon recorded their first 28-32F lows of the Fall this morning, Yuck:sick: 

Ohwell, at least no more 110F+ heat ahead for us, just please.. lets keep anything lower than 35F to the bare minimum this winter:innocent:

Like the picture choice Pip, even devoid of anything palmy.

Yikey..  I hope this winter is a mild one.. I'm ok with 10F (-12C) as long as it is dry.. or maybe with an inch of snow and NO days below freezing.. The recent mild winters will have to end sometime..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Our average minimum temp for the 3 months of winter was 18.4C and maximum 33.9C. These first 3 weeks of spring average minimum has been 23.4C and maximum 35.4C. But our big problem is lack of rain. The last few days there's been some small showers but before that there was no rain for over 3 months. Really looking forward to the coming summer wet season.

Been the wettest winter in 20 or 30 years so they say down here. Up to 911mm of rain so far for the year. We didn't even have a dry summer. My water tank (100000L) for the house was overflowing in January. I've had water over my lawn for months. Got tadpoles on the concrete pathway to the carport. Standing water everywhere. I've had spotted gum trees and karri trees die from waterlogged soil and they love water. Been replacing them with Melelauca quinquanerva's. Amazingly my Parajubaeas in the same area that the gum trees have died look amazing. I'm over winter. There was a glimpse of spring today getting to 22.2C, but we're back to midteens and heavy rain later in the week. I'm looking forward to drier weather so I can mow the lawn properly and use a catcher. Been a wet cold one. Coldest winter I've recorded down here. Averages about 2C colder than the 2 previous years. Lowest min recorded was −1.3C here. Destroyed my Bambusa vulgaris stands. Got some ugly looking garden areas at the moment. Pritchardias are looking OK though. Go figure.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yesterday got to 23.8C, but today is wet and drissly. Looks like another week of this before we get a few days where NO rain is forecast. October is hopefully going to me a nice mix of sunshine, warmth and a bit of rain, but not too much hopefully.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Raining its bags off at the moment here. We are well clear of the 900mm mark for the year. Looking at the 1000mm mark now. Avg for the year is about 850mm. Will we ever get a dry weekend.

Only got to 14.8C today with 12mm of rain. Yuck.

Winters grip just won't let go. The following images are of an extreamly powerful storm that is expected to hit Adelaide on Thursday before the rest of south eastern Australia.

FB_IMG_1474714792642.jpg.a9f63b90b1b730d

FB_IMG_1474714785661.jpg.a835030df7e3285

FB_IMG_1474714778254.jpg.d17f253774afd8c

• Upvote 1

Very nippy here last night, I almost had to get out of bed and close the windows. Today was a chilly 28c. :P

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

On 24 September 2016 7:06:39 PM, Pip said:

Winters grip just won't let go. The following images are of an extreamly powerful storm that is expected to hit Adelaide on Thursday before the rest of south eastern Australia.

I am a bit of a weather whinger but this has been a brutally cold winter this year. I have been recording my max and min temps since Jun 2014 here (as no official weather station in this region is even remotely close for my place) and the overall temps took a 2C dive for both max and min around mid January and have stayed that way compared to the two previous years. It's almost like a switch was flicked. Also my water tank supply for the house was overflowing in January which is a good thing but usually unheard of down here.

I haven't recorded a double digit min since Aug 4 (10.1C min) and the previous double digit min was July 17 (11.2C). I've probably had 5 double digit mins all winter and that includes Sep (which is still winter down here). Average temps for June (6.9C min, 18.1C max), July (5.9C min, 18.0C max), Aug (5.1C min, 18.2C max), and Sept so far is 6C min to 18.7C max. I've had a few mornings near or below zero, with a −1.3C (30F) the coldest I've ever recorded here. They're desert cold minimums except we have had 933mm of rain so far this year and much more to come. The whole west coast is getting a cold winter though. Perth has recorded so far a 7.7C min for Sept vs the avg min of 10C and that is a 21 year low. Geraldton at 28S is also very cold for this time of year (a few coconuts may die this year up there).

My stream filled up all my lakes in the 3rd week of May and it hasn't stopped flowing since. Normally I'm still irrigating out of the lake on dry days in June/July and worried about the lower level of the lake, as no water enters the lake until mid July to August normally. I think I irrigated once for a few minutes into my nursery which got a little dry at one point last month. But in the gardens I'm hoping the water will drain away and the sun and winds will just mop up the standing water and allow the soil to breathe a bit. I've lost a heap of Eucalyptus and have been planting giant paperbark species in there place.

But the extra cool water will keep the trout happy, and my Rhopalostylis appear as happy as pigs in mud, because some of them are actually in mud.

That storm front that will hit you in Adelaide will start off as heavy rain near me on Tuesday. There's a few more to come through after that too. Then, supposedly it will dry off a bit in Oct. If that brings sun and warmth that will be excellent. I will need to organise someone to shear my sheep and then I will be in full scale weed knock down mode. Then I will be planting more palms. Always something to do.

• Upvote 1

My dam is bone dry, my creek is bone dry, my swamp is bone dry, and cars driving along the road out front send up billowing clouds of dust. Got another sprinkle today, after a big storm passed just to the north of me. It keeps the humidity up but too late for a number of plants I've lost already. Today's forecast maximum was 37 (we got 36.9, close enough). This mornings minimum was 25.2. Places a bit further inland have been hitting 40. Tomorrow's forecast is for 37 again then the next few days edging lower, presumeably anticipated rain. The rain is a double edged sword, I still haven't done everything I want to do before the wet starts, but want it to lay the dust and the gardens desperately need the rainwater.

• Upvote 2

Tropic breeze if I could give you about 200mm of rain and you could give me your temps we'd be living in paradise.

At the moment that monster circulation has been harassing us here. Been a wild messy day. Real tree felling weather. At 4pm it was 8.9C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Too cold. 

The last two years September meant mean max day time temps of around 24C. This year 19C and barely that. 5C!!!!!! difference. When will this nightmare end.

• Upvote 1

On 24 September 2016 7:06:39 PM, Pip said:

It's a rough night tonight. It felt like the roof was going to come off at times. The rain/hail and wind are roaring. Pip, I would tie down all loose objects and keep clear of the Lofty Ranges. They're forecasting 100mm of rain for the Lofty Ranges and flash flooding on Thursday. A once in 50 year storm.

• Upvote 1

Ha, I can't stay clear of the Mount Lofty Rangers, my house is almost in the foot hills and I'm currently commuting through them everyday to my final professional experience placement at Mt Barker. The last storm caused flood water to cover small sections of the roads I use but didn't cut them off. Luckily the water moves off quickly. But if it is going to be as bad as forecast maybe I should stay home.

Just take extra care then Pip. All those warnings explain the worst possible scenario really, but even still they have to explain the potential for damage or the authorities get sued for not warning anyone if the worst happens.

Here's a link to read. The image they linked is wrong though. LOL

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/south-australia-weather-cyclone-expected-to-smash-south-australia/525066

We got about 20mm of rain overnight and vicious winds. I haven't been out to see what damage we've had. The radar shows the rain systems mainly past us now with just small cells of rain and possible hail. This place is now just soaked with extra standing water I don't need. My back lawn has been underwater for about 3 months now. The winds are just extra cold straight off Antarctica and still strong. Miserable out there.

• Upvote 1

Well the entire state of South Australia has no power. I'm sitting in darkness trying to keep warm. My shift at the super GP clinic and I drove home in very heavy rain. The wind will hit tomorrow 

Been reading about the power outages. The whole state being without power is incredible. Stay safe and sit tight I reckon.

Should read my shift was cut short due to the power cuts. I still don't have electricity at my house so going over to my folks place as they have off grid power. Love my hippie parents

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pip said:

I still don't have electricity at my house so going over to my folks place as they have off grid power. Love my hippie parents

Good luck with all that weather!  I couldn't help laugh at the recognition that your parents got something right!  My sons went through a stage where my wife and I knew nothing, but somehow as they have matured, they don't think we are as stupid as they used to think.  On another weather note, those systems spinning off Antartica and heading north have pushed up some fun waves for us lately.  Not what you wanted to hear right now, that one man's misery is another's fortune.  Stay safe!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

11 hours ago, Pip said:

Should read my shift was cut short due to the power cuts. I still don't have electricity at my house so going over to my folks place as they have off grid power. Love my hippie parents

Have you got power back yet?

I want to go off grid here. If I do that the only thing I require is a bit of bottle gas for cooking. Everything else would be off grid.

It was a beautiful 21C sunny day here today. Something you can look forward too in a couple of days.

• Upvote 1

Power returned yesterday about lunch time. The weather calmed by then too only for a short time by evening the wind and rain had returned. I spent the time writing an essay for uni.

• Upvote 1

Well I recorded the coldest September ever. 6C min 18.6C max, about 5C colder during the day than last year. More like a typical July. It blew it's bags off and rained today. I hope we get a temp jump in October.

• Upvote 1

Got one of those annoying lows centred about 400km south of me at the moment. Wind gusts forecast to 125kmh again. It's blowing it's bags off again from the west and north west. Thunderstorms and hail forecast. A great day to go for a walk in the park and get struck by lightening. Go away winter.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Pip said:

After a few days of extreme weather it's looking a little bit spring like

14752859068722039464183.thumb.jpg.832ccf

That was like us on Thursday. I don't think you'll get what we've got today though. The low headed up from Antarctica to contact the WA coast right here where I am and is then meant to loop down again as it heads east. The temp just dropped to 8C after the last squall. My greenhouse wall is starting to collapse from the insane gusts we got in the last hour. I want to put in a large commercial grade tunnel house in it's place.

On Tuesday it looks like the switch will flick into "Spring". The dewpoints even rise by 5C. More days like your pic hopefully.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pip said:

This weeks forecast is looking much better 

1475286790642-1253365178.thumb.jpg.c81fa

Look at Thursday and Friday. Pure gold. I think next week winter will be gone.

• Upvote 1

Been away from Sat until today In Bremer Bay. Was watching the whales with calves near the shoreline. Was a wild weekend but it seemed to fine up alright today and reached 24C. Drove back to Albany and the temp dropped and it was blowing and gale again and drissling. Had another 20mm of rain since we were here on Sat. The place is stupidly wet. I had a dead pine tree come down in the pine forest. I lost a few big branches from the trees and some damage to the shadehouse. One Agonis flexuosa was blown over and  roots were snapped. Got dying bamboo from being too wet, dead and dying Eucalyptus etc. Luckily the temps take a jump this week into the low twenties but we're back to rain on Thursday Friday. We just don't need it. A month of drought is what we need here.

• Upvote 1

Very wet here again today. Too much water everywhere, flooding continues with creeks and rivers bursting their banks.

Cold and very very wet and windy here today after a hot sunny weekend.

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Everyone's copping the wild weather and rain lately. 

Got up this morning and the sun was shining. Looked over to the SW, big black clouds. It's grey again now.

• Upvote 1