IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silver-Blue Pandanus?

Mandrew968

I was at Fairchild's nursery and came across this neat little guy... does anyone know what species it is or has anyone ever seen another like it? Thanks in advance!

pandanus.jpg

• Upvote 2

Whatever it is it looks like it will turn into a cool looking tree. Definitely looks like a pandanus, however, never seen a blue one before. Hope u bought it. 

59 minutes ago, 5150cycad said:

Whatever it is it looks like it will turn into a cool looking tree. Definitely looks like a pandanus, however, never seen a blue one before. Hope u bought it. 

It doesn't work that way... and it is indeed a Pandanus. This plant was in the fairchild collection--eventually to be planted out, not sold.

Oops, I have never been there before. So when I saw nursery I assumed they would be for sale. The quail botanical gardens in encinitas somethings has plant sales. Didn't know if it was something like that. Gonna be a spectacular specimen someday. 

If it wasn’t for the trunk and hanging roots I would have thought it was some new hybrid.. Astelia chathamica silver spear.

Looks really exotic, Hopefully this cool plant will be available for everyone in the near future. 

populations of Pandanus tectorius on Cape York, Australia have blue glacous leaves and I have 1 that really took my eye back some ten years ago. It's still that colour too. Also Pandanus basedowii has a severe Grey blue hue too. My largest goes through silver stages when actively growing that matches a silver Bismarck

• Upvote 1

Basedowii doesn't tend to get the same grey/blue hue as in the plant in the first photo. They tend to be green to a silvery greyish. Although, mine at home always remains a plain green.