IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyphophoenix fulcita

Pedro 65

After a Q from a palmtalker and ringing John Lyle today  about how much the "tiny" when I bought it C fulcita has grown I thought I'd share  pics taken here just now at dusk, it hasnt got stilt roots yet but imo why send out stilt roots when your in fertile soil, also Imo I think the stilts start late in life. John said his died so Im very privledged  and grateful he sold it to me many yrs ago.. I  think the food I give it is making it a larger palm than whats seen in the "rocky" wild..  Pete

010.thumb.JPG.96dbf101b2fa10881c4ff76874

006.thumb.JPG.c45973cbd75a12ec2c147919f8

005.thumb.JPG.5ef092bf3cb172ae2cb67c4bf8

• Like 3
  • Upvote 10

Very nice Pete, you don't see them every day, so how old is it Pete, would be interested to know if anyone else is growing this Palm, cerifera looking good too Pete, well done mate 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, comic097 said:

Very nice Pete, you don't see them every day, so how old is it Pete, would be interested to know if anyone else is growing this Palm, cerifera looking good too Pete, well done mate 

Thanks Paul, Im "sure" John got the seed before his trip with Maria, I planted it in 1999 but it would have been near 10 yrs old and still Very small, so  it mov'n now  as its a good 27 yrs old since germination :o

Theses are "extremely" rare in cultivation, I dont know of anyone in Oz  or even in Hawaii growing it. :huh:

Thats why I have a dog that "bites" and hidden landmines :) 

So again, Im very grateful to John Lyle :greenthumb::greenthumb:

Pete

• Upvote 2

Pete, disarm the landmines--anyone who knows about this palm, wouldn't try to dig it up in a hurry. I wonder if you can get it insured--it's that rare, IMO. You can totally see it's a Cyphophoenix. Wonder why it is so darned slow... hopefully it picks up speed like Pseudophoenix do, later in life. Thanks for showing us your pride and joy--first pic made me a bit dizzy, but the second was nice!

• Upvote 1

Not much of a looker yet. Well nothing like C. cerifera anyway. Glad to see this palm in cultivation Pete. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

When looking at the photos on Palmpedia I see that even palms much smaller than yours have already stilt roots. I guess you planted the palm too deep:

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/thumb/5/50/Cyphopf0005z.jpg/280px-Cyphopf0005z.jpg

Another problem is the soil in your garden: I don’t think that it is ultramafic soil …:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_soil

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Thanks all for above comments 

Andrew, this is a very slow growing palm  like many Ncal palm,    but   its certainly picking up speed now and fattening up its trunk.

Len, funny you say she not a looker yet, in the flesh she is beautiful, the leaves with their good looking strong  curve    plus they are a good 7ft long and Im getting 2 a yr now...  the trunk is getting  more colour as she ages  not to mention the grey, brown, black tomemtum  ;)

Pal, my response is the same as Andrew.." Laugh my ass off".... Its in fertile soil and keeps getting topped up with fertile food and

minerals and has no rocks or crevices to send out stilts , pls dont reply, thank you..:huh:

Andrew, thanks for that reply :greenthumb:

Rich,Im blessed to have her so close to the house and watch this rare beauty slowly get more beauty and I know you'd love to have 1 and you would grow it well 

Thanks again John Lyle , and if Im wrong on her age give me a call.:greenthumb: 

Ben Smith and Comic Paul will be viewing her in the flesh in a few weeks, I'll make sure the dog is tied up :) 

004.thumb.JPG.0d83e9293cf3b9fe7a813e3824

Thought I'd add a pic showing  2 spears and  my runner for scale to a frond/leaf.   Pete

017.thumb.JPG.d4efac760560f4932b1497b25e

• Upvote 7

Geeze, really no nothing about this palm, gonna have to get the reference material out. Oh yeah, I agree it's in good hands. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Is this the slowest growing palm of all time? You always have something up your sleeve Pete but this one is a surprise. Noice!!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Adam, Tim and Jason for comments :greenthumb:  Below is  a pic of Shakira beside it,Feb 201 both Shakira and the Palm are much taller now :) 

Re stilt roots... all pics in the wild with them with stilt roots "have" a Trunk, mine hasnt 1 yet and as Palms Of New Caledonia point out they are pretty much growing on pure cracked rock.

This baby is on her way up :) 

Ed, you have my permission to you use "any" pics I post on PTalk and paste on Palmpedia..

Pete

post-5709-0-83146900-1361061383.jpg

• Like 1

No stilt roots. Can't be totally sure yet that's it's a fulcita Pete ?! ;) could be something else ? ha ha ! Nah..just kidding, I admire your heritage and having this specimen reflects such. Planted too deep, that's the problem ! You should have planted it on a steep slope...the roots would pop out sooner...maybe tear the lower leaves off and encourage it up ? ha !

I got a mention of seed being available but the rigmarole to obtain them was prohibitive. A contact on the Island today mentioned how beautiful this species is in the wild and copied and pasted from text he had, of the slowness in fruit ripening, the slow germination, the slow growth of the seedling...blah and on it went. Great stilt rooted New Cal Palm without a doubt but I can't go buy one tomorrow can I !!!! Haha !

i hope yours fruits in the next 30 years. I'll be 67...you 80 ? Good thing you planted it really close !

how's the weather ! Amazing start to Spring. 

11 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Nice to have and appreciated so much.

Jeff, I very much love where Ive planted it so close to the house where it can be appreciated and admired esp once the C/shaft starts to really colour.

Kris, thanks for your comment, but I must say , its "not" planted too deep, Id rather have a , Healthy, Stocky, Palm than a Skinny palm with stilt roots  like many seen in pics of this rare beauty  growing on "Rocks"......, Im looking fwd to the colourful C/shaft , the stilts are the last thing that will excite me actually and as I wrote above, the C fulcita's you see with Stilts are trunking, mine isnt yet..

John Lyle sold his only spare to the right man :)  coz  he knew I'd take good care of it and I certainly am.. 

Pete

Pete, I was joking re the planting depth. !!!

Your the best person for its cultivation. 

I was off in the garden if that was you from 6679....number that tried calling. 

3 minutes ago, KrisKupsch said:

Pete, I was joking re the planting depth. !!!

Your the best person for its cultivation. 

I was off in the garden if that was you from 6679....number that tried calling. 

Glad to hear that Kris, She will be a showstopper once she starts trunking, also, she's about to open a new leaf and has a good size spear  urging her on so, she's putting out 3 not 2 as mentioned above new leaves/fronds per year, so to repeat myself again, She's on her way..

Pete

btw it wasnt me trying to call, it was prob Pal to talk about depth issues with you  :D 

• 2 years later...

this species is definitely not a fulcita, it s  basselinia species, the trunks of C fulcita are absolutly different, and the leaves are absolutly not the one  pictured there, maybe the guy who sold you the seeds lied to you for money??

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have shown an expert this photo and he says it is definitely a fulcita 

1 hour ago, richnorm said:

Some good photos here. If these are all correct ID's this is a highly variable palm. ...   http://endemia.nc/en/flore/fiche1114

Nice collection of habitat photos. I can see why it was lumped in with Cyphophoenix. I had always heard stories about how fantastic the Biennial in New Caledonia was for attendees. It should go back there again at some point.

Ryan

South Florida

• 5 weeks later...

Pete, I just spent 2 months in New Caledonia and your correct 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, Palmarum said:

Nice collection of habitat photos. I can see why it was lumped in with Cyphophoenix. I had always heard stories about how fantastic the Biennial in New Caledonia was for attendees. It should go back there again at some point.

Ryan

Every Biennial I lobby for this exactly..

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!