IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of Len Geiger - Image Gallery

Pando

On 9/12/2016, 1:56:59, Jim in Los Altos said:

I think if I suddenly woke up in Len's garden, I would think I died and went to Heaven! The house and garden are stunning and the palm collection tops. I like everything about it. 

That's exactly what I was thinking! :yay:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Sorry for 3 comments in a row but, being that I am fairly new to PT and don't know the history of Len's gardening adventures, it'd be amazing to see/read a book of all that went into this garden from the very beginning. The ups, the downs, the construction. I wouldn't be able to put the book down!

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Since traveling last month I am still catching up on PalmTalk so am delighted to find this topic tonight! I know I will be returning to this topic in the future too.

Pando's photography and Len's botanical garden together are a magical combination! Some have amazing plants and others have stunning design and Len has both!

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

• 4 years later...

Apologies for bringing up a 5 year old thread, but the photos in this one are pretty enough I'm sure no one minds (and some of the newbies will get to see it).

My question is what the ID is of the "big boy" dypsis on the right side of this photo (the one in the lawn). I have some guesses, but would love confirmation on the ID...

large-dypsis.jpg

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

24 minutes ago, idesign123 said:

Apologies for bringing up a 5 year old thread, but the photos in this one are pretty enough I'm sure no one minds (and some of the newbies will get to see it).

My question is what the ID is of the "big boy" dypsis on the right side of this photo (the one in the lawn). I have some guesses, but would love confirmation on the ID...

large-dypsis.jpg

Prestoniana ? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Prestoniana ? 

Is that the same plant as "Big Curly" - If so, I think that might be the one!

Other options I was thinking were possibly "carlsmithii" or "mealy bug"?

The more I'm looking at it though, the more I'm thinking it's a Prestoniana (if that's the same as "Big Curly"). Can another Palmtalker confirm Prestonia (aka "Big Curly") as the ID?

Edited by idesign123

It IS a prestoniana. IIRC it was purported to be a big curley, but has not been as "Substantial" as mine has proven to be?  So it's either the big curley version or the OCWS version. At this point,  it seems the OCWS id from north end of Madagascar and big curley from the south.

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thank you!!! And the "OCWS" reference led me to the following page, which goes into the confusion in great depth - http://palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_prestoniana_Mystery 

I would like to buy a similar-looking palm, so appears that I would definitely want a Prestonia, with possible variations of "OCWS" (Orange Crownshaft White Stem) or "Big Curly". I might also consider "Big Stumpy", "canalculata", "robusta" or even "Mony Mony" (if that name is still used). All minor variations of the same "Big Boy Dypsis" (Prestonia).

I'm still a little confused as to which of these variations I should buy, but that does give me more clarity. If anyone has a recommendation of which of these variations I should buy (for Southern California) I'm all ears. My dream palm would have a lot of color (I love the orange, white & lime green colors in Len's tree).

Edited by idesign123

So this palm had some discussion a few months back. After discussing with a few Dypsis nerds and reading over Palms of Madagascar, I am pretty sure the palm in question is Dypsis tokoravina. It was acquired from Mardy Darian as an unknown in the OCWS group. 

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

37 minutes ago, LJG said:

So this palm had some discussion a few months back. After discussing with a few Dypsis nerds and reading over Palms of Madagascar, I am pretty sure the palm in question is Dypsis tokoravina. It was acquired from Mardy Darian as an unknown in the OCWS group. 

Len, can you share an updated photo?  Has it produced viable seed yet, and if so does the ripe fruit look much different than others in the OCWS group?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

Len, can you share an updated photo?  Has it produced viable seed yet, and if so does the ripe fruit look much different than others in the OCWS group?

I'll get pic at home. Yes, seed is smaller and orange fruit. Few things separate it from Presto. One being Tokoravina is glaucous under leaflets, Prestoniana is green. I gave Josh seed few years ago and he had some plants he was selling. 

• Like 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin