IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of Len Geiger - Image Gallery

Pando

Wow, my mobile telephon is burning, too much pictures for it!!!:drool:.

And the garden... i can't say nothing new.

Thanks Pando for this amazing work and thanks Len for make this small heaven in California.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Must say, among all the favorite shots, there is one that includes the glimpse of a mysterious pair of red shoes that stands out.

I think we all know whom these belong to  :D

5dGm0x2.jpg

• Upvote 6

23 hours ago, Pando said:

TApiKDf.jpg

Ando, there are so many great shots of Lens fantastic garden, but this stopped me in my tracks. It shows the color and contrast at Lens if you can take the time to enjoy it over time.

Its been a pleasure to watch Lens yard change over the years, some heartbreaks, but some epic winners too.  I can hardly wait to see "Pandovision" come to my house... :blink:

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 9/12/2016, 9:48:17, LJG said:

Dang Ando, now I see what you meant when you said your shooting finger has carpal tunnel now. I can't imagine how long it took you to do all this. With all these shots no one will ever want to visit in person :)

On 9/12/2016, 11:41:32, Silas_Sancona said:

you know  when someone has "the eye" when you view photos.. While i can understand just enjoying the hobby, i also can see a casual, side- business opportunity.  Must say, among all the favorite shots, there is one that includes the glimpse of a mysterious pair of red shoes that stands out.

Despite Ando's perceptive eye for composition of the photos, Len, you can be assured that folks will want to come back.  You have done an equal job in your composition of the garden, with color and elevations.

On 9/12/2016, 10:36:43, Pando said:

The best thing is that your garden will only get better, much better. It's an epic place

Who can't agree with this?  After hearing about some of your thoughts on what you want to "plug in" from your nursery area, it will only go from spectacular to more spectacular!

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Len, thanks again for having us up. We really enjoyed ourselves. We learned a lot about the hibiscus and plan on adding them to our garden. 

Pando, your photos are incredible. I, like many others, often do google searches for inspiration. And I can honestly say I dont think I have ever come across nicer pictures han what you have posted in this thread. Well done, and thank you

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Ando, there are so many great shots of Lens fantastic garden, but this stopped me in my tracks. It shows the color and contrast at Lens if you can take the time to enjoy it over time.

Its been a pleasure to watch Lens yard change over the years, some heartbreaks, but some epic winners too.  I can hardly wait to see "Pandovision" come to my house... :blink:

Thanks Bill, we'll set something up toward the end of the month, I'll PM you then.

• Upvote 1

Posting your favorite image is pretty cool, thanks Bill and Nathan for doing that!

I wonder what images other Palmtalkers find as their single favorite among the 400+ pictures posted above and why?

If you find one that you like the most above all others, please post! :)

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Pando

Pando, picking 1 is too hard, but these 2 are  my favs and I'd use it is I was a real estate seller.., I'd "Love" that pool here, "Fantastic design..:greenthumb:'

Len, I think the spindles need to  be replaced by Saitlucei's or Big Reds, pls dont take that the wrong way..;)

Also, I Had to pic the bottom pic  as it puts my Pancheri's to shame, good to see your Lavoixia is on its way Len :greenthumb::greenthumb:          Pete 

rsM72yc.jpg

QrYnMYZ.jpg

c3YU1KW.jpg

• Upvote 8

Lens garden never disappoints!

Ando is a phenomenal photographer!!

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

This garden is nothing but perfect in any way. Absolutely stunning. I just love all the parts that are designed with stones: from the storefront to the pathways and so on. Everything matches perfectly and all these great plants; WOW. Really well done!

Thank you so much for the effort to post them all here!

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it. Through PT I have meet a bunch of great people. Both online and in person now. ...But really, Andos eye for photography makes the garden look better. 

Pete, no offense taken. A few that come to my garden know each year those palms are close to getting the axe. This is the best they look thanks to time of year. Winter makes them yellow. They are 10 years old and I keep hoping they grow into better palms with age. 

Ando, thanks for taking the time to do this. When you asked if you could take some photos I didn't think it would be 500. With all the views I am surprised more PT regulars haven't commented on your photography skills. They must be jealous of your skill behind the lens ;)

• Upvote 6

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Just incredible! When's the next Bromeliad/Cycad/Cactus and Succulent/Croton/Palm Society meeting at your place?!?! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Upvote 3

Amazing!  The palms, the color, layout and design, I could go on and on.  And Ando captured it all incredibly well.  Wow!!!  

I've had the pleasure to visit Len's place several times over the past few years and it's exciting to watch it all mature and just get better and better.  Easily one of the nicest gardens I have ever visited, for so many reasons.  Not just the best of the best when it comes to the type of palms and plants, but how they are all put together to compliment each other.  

I went home on Saturday from Len's and had to spend the rest of the yard outside.  Fertilizing, trimming, planting....  I always leave Len's place inspired and this past weekend was no different.  

• Upvote 6

Amazing garden! I see a lot of work and effort went into and and boy does it look like it was worth it! Beautiful is the best word for it. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I don't think I scored too well on Pando's palm ID quiz, but I had fun trying.  Is that really a Joey tucked in there...? 

Terrific garden, not typical for California at all.  And most excellent camera work from Pando.  Well done, all.

Oh and ignore Pete's well-intentioned advice to get rid of the spindles, it's just California, be happy.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim, yes it is a Joey. It will start its 4th winter this year. It only grows a leaf a year and the hard water and low humidity cause issues, but it handles the cool winters with ease. I think it is so slow as it is planted under a huge CIDP and I think its roots have encased it. 

Stop by sometime. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

13 hours ago, LJG said:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it. Through PT I have meet a bunch of great people. Both online and in person now. ...But really, Andos eye for photography makes the garden look better. 

Pete, no offense taken. A few that come to my garden know each year those palms are close to getting the axe. This is the best they look thanks to time of year. Winter makes them yellow. They are 10 years old and I keep hoping they grow into better palms with age. 

Ando, thanks for taking the time to do this. When you asked if you could take some photos I didn't think it would be 500. With all the views I am surprised more PT regulars haven't commented on your photography skills. They must be jealous of your skill behind the lens ;)

Len, I too am very surprised      "more"       havnt commented on your amazing  garden,      and I must say Im very  impressed with the Joey altifrons placed in a "grow well " zone, shows your keen and a trialer, they too are hardier  than folk think,      but        dont mess with the roots..      Palmtalkers   are either lost for words       or maybe jealous of your years of creating a very Zen  Oasis  :wub: and wont comment ???      Now, since your not offended and Kim had a lil dig, axe the spindles Len, they are taking up Primo location for 2 show off palms that will look great all year< you have the green thumb :greenthumb: and the eye ;)  so I know 1 day the penny will drop on "what" Palms you will  replace them with...   Pete 

• Upvote 1

It took me a few days to enjoy all these pics. :)

Pando thanks for sharing. I loved all your pics especially the panoramic shots. 

Len you have an amazing home/garden! 10/10:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:  nd those crotons are way friggen cool. I love all red colors you got going. :greenthumb::drool:

• Upvote 2

Just Wow!

Living in a similar climatic zone I can appreciate how difficult growing this garden must be, plants get scorched during Summer and cold damage in Winter.

Regarding the Spindle, mine has completely defoliated this Winter, but the Rich Trapnell Hyphorbe Hybrid from Tyrone just a couple if meters away, is in pristine condition. 

Great Garden!

• Upvote 1

After the first few photos, I left the computer and mixed up some punica coladas........I've run out of pina! Really gave me that late, sultry evening, somewhere exotic in shorts and flip flops type of feeling........I really need a holiday:mellow:

• Upvote 3

On 12/09/2016, 2:07:52, Pando said:
c9vqrbI.jpg

CMRFJb9.jpg

4hCEgzD.jpg

uxa3kC7.jpg

B

On 12/09/2016, 2:07:52, Pando said:
c9vqrbI.jpg

CMRFJb9.jpg

Having visited lens garden 3 years ago i can confirm everyones amazement !

The Best photos of Dypsis mealy Bug that  i have ever seen .

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

9 hours ago, Sabal Steve said:

Beautiful garden, Len.

I was curious what this was?  I'm a sucker for red, fuzzy palms...

57dd6e40b5ee0_Picture2.png.f160b0f0f08fa

Steve, this is an unknown Palm that is being called Dypsis 'Big Red'. 

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Great shots of one of my favorite private collections!

Ando's photography skills feature Len's talents of plant placement and contracting colors and textures.

A fantastic collection of some of the finest palms that can be grown in Southern California!

• Upvote 1

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Wonderful, amazing, perfectly landscaped, beautiful tropical paradise, unlike any I have seen even in Hawaii.... the best example of a southern California garden reaching its potential... full of all sorts of nicely grown, rare specimens, many which I am going to have to learn to identify.  Thank you!  

• Upvote 1

Unreal garden Len:greenthumb:  so much colour and loved the hardscape too! That pool looks like a great spot for a beer or 6. Amazing pics too pando! Cheers

• Upvote 2

This garden is a masterpiece.  Wow!!  And the photography is second to none.  Thank you to both for sharing these awe inspiring photos!

• Upvote 1

Len, I think its a "must" and a great ending to your amazing garden thread to post a pic of Brenda in her 68 GTO, even if Ando has to drive over to take "the shot" :)    Pete

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about:P It is only one of the best gardens in the country!  Have had the pleasure of visiting this garden a handful of times over the past few years and it is always a joy to spend time there.  Len is a gracious host and there are always new additions and things that I seem to have missed from previous trips.  Hats off to Pando for capturing it in all it's glory!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016, 6:36:04, LJG said:
On 9/17/2016, 9:24:51, Sabal Steve said:

57dd6e40b5ee0_Picture2.png.f160b0f0f08fa

Steve, this is an unknown Palm that is being called Dypsis 'Big Red'. 

Len your "Big Red" is a really stunning palm in person.  It was one plant that stuck out in my memory among all the spectacular palms, cycads, bromeliads, hibiscus, crotons and other plants..  I just received the email from Hidden Valley Hibiscus with your garden in the spotlight for your hibiscus.  Your hibiscus collection is just one more component of your garden which stands out as exceptional.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

What the....alright, I quit. I can't even...that's a frickin' gorgeous property...and that pool? How?!!! I quit! 

Stunning photography too :wub:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: