IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Water Palms" (Question)

PalmTreeDude

I have seen pictures of palms fully growing out of water and water beds, I am wondering, what are some of these palms? I know Sabal minor can grow out of water beds, but what are the others? Or at least some. Does a Majesty Palm have the ability to grow in a water bed? I do know they like their water! Anyway, if anyone has any information on this topic, please tell me!

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

7 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Does a Majesty Palm have the ability to grow in a water bed?

Yes.

ravenea%20rivular%20on%20river%20madagas

Others of note are Ravanea musicalis:

Ravenea_musicalis08.jpg

Nypa fruticans:

DSC_2929.jpg

Roystonea regia:

IMG_5156.thumb.JPG.639cf84ca24642d532a58

• Upvote 6

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

25 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

Yes.

ravenea%20rivular%20on%20river%20madagas

Others of note are Ravanea musicalis:

Ravenea_musicalis08.jpg

Nypa fruticans:

DSC_2929.jpg

Roystonea regia:

IMG_5156.thumb.JPG.639cf84ca24642d532a58

Awesome images! Thank you for sharing. I would not expect a royal to be directly in the water, but beside it instead, or on the shore. Interesting! 

PalmTreeDude

Archontophoenix, Metroxylon, Arenga australasica, Arenga engleri,  Arenga microcarpa, Chamaedorea cataractarum, Acoelorrhaphe, Ptychosperma macarthurii, Salacca zalacca, Licuala ramsayi,, Livistona australis, livistona decora, Elaeis guineensis ........... I have all of these palms growing in very boggy, sometimes flooded areas.

• Upvote 2

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

… and other palms of the Amazonas region like Mauritiella aculeataEuterpe oleracea, E longibracteata, E precatoria, Geonoma bronginiartii, G laxiflora, G maxima var spixiana, Oenocarpus bataua, Phytelephas macrocarpa, many Bactris spp., etc., the list isn’t complete at all.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Beccariophoenix alfredii seems to be OK in water too.

IMG_1975.jpg

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

7 hours ago, realarch said:

You can add Mauritia flexuosa, Mauritiella armata, and Hydriastele rheophytica.

Tim

…. and Oncosperma tigillarium?

how about Dypsis paludosa , Dypsis aquatilis or Dypsis rivularis?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Those pics are awesome. ...more pics!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

1 hour ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Those pics are awesome. ...more pics!

Agreed! I want more pictures of palms in water as well!

PalmTreeDude

So, I thought I'd throw in some more photos to add to this thread. 

Some Mauritia flexuosa in habitat. I do believe the small ones are Mauritia as well. Incredibly majestic and abundant palms in this part of the Amazon.

Tim

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_5515.jpg

IMG_5508.jpg

• Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Desmoncus, a climbing palm. Could be D. mitis or D. polyacanthos. Mean stuff, trying to grab onto one would rip your fingers to shreds. 

Parts were totally submerged. This photo was taken in Ecuador. 

Tim

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Another water lover, Manicaria saccifera. Monster palms lining the waterways, Costa Rica.

Tim

IMG_7640.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here are some Roystonea regia growing in water at Dickinson State Park west of Jupiter, FL. This is along the Loxahatchee River that eventually flows into the ocean. This area is where the fresh water starts to mix with saltier water. It is where mangroves and bald cypress intermix.

100_1982.jpg

100_1977.jpg

100_1981.jpg

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a Washingtonia filifera at the University of Arizona campus. It is growing into a pond.

100_6332.jpg

100_6331.jpg

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

These Livistona chinensis are often in standing water during periods of high rainfall. They are growing along Howell Creek at Mead Gardens in Winter Park, FL. The whole area is black, wet, mucky soil year round. It often floods and they can be in 1-2 feet of water for weeks at a time. Livistona chinensis has naturalized here and there are thousands of them growing there.

100_2048.jpg

100_2029.jpg

100_2041.jpg

Same with this Phoenix canariensis hybrid;

100_2012.jpg

• Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a few at Leu Gardens in Orlando, FL;

Licuala spinosa, the short palm in front is Dypsis rivularis;

2016-09-1220014_zps4fabehvd.jpg

2016-09-12%20015_zps7xidwcjj.jpg

• Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

All of these images are wonderful! Thank you for sharing and giving me more information about palms in water!

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Sorry, I don't have any photos of them, but I have seen Washingtonia robustas growing in the resacas (oxbow lakes, which are the old river channels of the Rio Grande River).  I never would have thought that a desert palm like the robustas could grow in water all the time.

17 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Sorry, I don't have any photos of them, but I have seen Washingtonia robustas growing in the resacas (oxbow lakes, which are the old river channels of the Rio Grande River).  I never would have thought that a desert palm like the robustas could grow in water all the time.

Washintonia in water is actually a natural thing for them, well, I know Washingtonia Filifera grow with their trunks about half way in water in dessert oasis. I think only the Robusta would be able to grow fully in water, very cool! Thank you for mentioning this!

PalmTreeDude

On 12 September 2016 8:39:14 PM, Eric in Orlando said:

These Livistona chinensis are often in standing water during periods of high rainfall. They are growing along Howell Creek at Mead Gardens in Winter Park, FL. The whole area is black, wet, mucky soil year round. It often floods and they can be in 1-2 feet of water for weeks at a time. Livistona chinensis has naturalized here and there are thousands of them growing there.

100_2048.jpg

100_2029.jpg

100_2041.jpg

Same with this Phoenix canariensis hybrid;

100_2012.jpg

I've just planted some chinensis around a similar type water course as in your first pic. I'm trying to get the same sort of look in one area of the garden. Will trim the old fronds though. At the moment the young plants sit in water periodically. One hasn't made it, but I think the others will.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.