IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Wild" Sabal ID Please

GoatLockerGuns

I was out hiking in the Texas Hill Country near the town of Grey Forest about a week ago, when I came across this palm growing in the middle of nowhere. There were no other palms around, and Sabal mexicana does not reportedly grow this far north in the wild. I don't think it is really a "wild" palm tree, since it was located near a hiking trail in Malda Park; it probably was either planted by someone who hikes the trail, or brought by a bird or other animal from an ornamental palm someone is growing in the San Antonio area. Sabal palmetto, Sabal Mexicana, Washingtonia sp., and other cold hardy palms are common in this part of Texas.

I think this is a Sabal sp., but I was hoping someone here could identify the exact species for me.

BTW...it was growing as ground cover in near total shade. Very little direct sunlight (if any) was penetrating the Quercus fusiformis and Juniperus ashei thick forest canopy. The palm looked like it was doing very well in this environment. Most of San Antonio is listed as a 9a Zone; however, given the location of this palm in the Hill Country, I'd say it was in a solid 8b Zone.

Rich  

20160826_182859_resized.jpg

20160826_182927_resized.jpg

20160826_182937_resized.jpg

• Upvote 2

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Sabal minor is native to Central Texas, including San Antonio. It can be found around most of the streams here in Austin..

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Sabal minor. its leaves are less costapalmate than most Sabals.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

Sabal minor is native to Central Texas, including San Antonio. It can be found around most of the streams here in Austin..

Wow...I had no idea that Sabal minor was native to the Hill Country.  I have been hiking all over the Hill Country west of San Antonio; this is the first time I have found a Sabal growing in the wild. Come to think of it, there was a dry streambed nearby.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

• Upvote 1

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

1 hour ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

Wow...I had no idea that Sabal minor was native to the Hill Country.  I have been hiking all over the Hill Country west of San Antonio; this is the first time I have found a Sabal growing in the wild. Come to think of it, there was a dry streambed nearby.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

If you have a some land, with woods, or a field, you should plant a bunch out there and let them multiply on their own, and you have a scrub palms forest! They are cool palms indeed. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Just now, PalmTreeDude said:

If you have a some land, with woods, or a field, you should plant a bunch out there and let them multiply on their own, and you have a scrub palms forest! They are cool palms indeed. 

I actually have three Sabal minor seedlings that sprouted from seed back in February. They are slow growers; however, I plan on putting them in the ground when they get a little bigger. I also have one Sabal palmetto (about 3 years old) and 2 Sabal uresana (2 weeks old) that I plan on planting in the future (along with a bunch of other non-Sabal palms).