Sign in to follow this  
Chris Chance

The Chance Garden

doubravsky

Place looks great! I like your palm choices... from around the corner in Orangecrest.... 

Chris Chance
12 minutes ago, doubravsky said:

Place looks great! I like your palm choices... from around the corner in Orangecrest.... 

Thank you! You might actually be closer to me than anyone on the forum. 

Chris Chance

Parajubaea sunka seems to like this area. 

20180725_133001.jpg

Chris Chance

I think this Livistona chinensis is going to trunk soon. Got some burn from that heatwave we had earlier this month. 

20180725_133011.jpg

Chris Chance

Here's a look at the pond area. I really like the touch it adds to the tropical feel. Planted on the other side is a mule with droopy leaves which has recently exploded. 

20180725_132746.jpg

• Upvote 3

Chris Chance

Sabal mauritiiformis is very slow but picks up speed with heat. Even at a young age they look awesome!

20180725_132803.jpg

• Upvote 2

Chris Chance

Standing on the other side of the pond looking across the garden. Looks much different than when I first started the thread. 

20180725_132817.jpg

• Upvote 2

Chris Chance

I still have lots of work to do. The front yard is much larger on a corner lot. My lady finally gave me the go ahead to remove all the grass and start more garden areas. That will begin this winter. Here's a view when someone walks up the the front door. Got rid of the 30 foot Washingtonia that was in the area. Got tired of seedlings popping up everywhere. 

20180725_132859.jpg

• Upvote 2

JubaeaMan138

Chris I need your number I got a new phone and lost a lot of My contacts now you need to add aome

copernicias to your garden they love our heat and have done fine for

me through our last 2 winters !!! 

Chris Chance
9 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Chris I need your number I got a new phone and lost a lot of My contacts now you need to add aome

copernicias to your garden they love our heat and have done fine for

me through our last 2 winters !!! 

Okay I'll PM you. I would love to add some Copernicia to my garden. I know they're heag lovers but I worry about winter. I definitely see more frost out this way. Guess get em in the ground and find out. First I just need to locate some.

Chris Chance

I have been posting from my phone so not the best pictures but it works. Here's Dypsis albofarinosa staying solitary and flowering. No seed yet but the newest flower is looking good. Pardon the weeds. This is the next spot to clean out.

20180803_073720.jpg

• Upvote 2

Chris Chance

After all the cold we had last month my garden is actually looking good still except for plants like bananas.  Thought I would add some more photos.  Just looking back at pictures from last summer I can see a difference. Some palms really put on some size since. Here's my Kentiopsis olivaformis 

20190110_152106.jpg

• Upvote 1

Chris Chance

Here's the mule with droopy leaves which has really taken off.

20190110_152602.jpg

• Upvote 3

Chris Chance

Another mule.

20190110_152656.jpg

RJ

How do you find upkeep of the pond? I like the idea for my future garden but I'm not sure of the head ache that goes along with it. 

Garden looks fantastic! 

Chris Chance
37 minutes ago, RJ said:

How do you find upkeep of the pond? I like the idea for my future garden but I'm not sure of the head ache that goes along with it. 

Garden looks fantastic! 

Thanks RJ! Honestly I don't do much but add water and once in a while clean the pumps. I have a UV clarifier connected to a small pump and that helps keep the water crystal clear. I think it's worth it hearing flowing water and birds come and visit. Only headache is when raccoons discover the pond and they try to get the fish. When that happens they tear up the lillies. At this time of the year the lillies are dormant but still looks cool.

20190110_160555.jpg

• Upvote 1

Chris Chance

This Livistona chinensis grew out 8 leaves since the heatwave last summer. 

20190110_161250.jpg

Chris Chance

I think we will have a trunk soon!

20190110_161417.jpg

Chris Chance

Started clearing out all if the purple heart plant and since I'm getting some shade now I'm starting to add Chameadoria. 

20190110_161816.jpg

Chris Chance

What I like about starting this thread is now I can look back and see how much my garden has changed. Still have lots of work to do. My front yard is a good size and I plan on removing the grass and planting more out there. Going to be fun since I have an HOA and apparently they only want certain plants but I see most people in the area planted different plants than their lists. 

Hilo Jason

Looking good Chris.  Nice to see your Kentiopsis Oliviformis looking good. Those are so much tougher than most people think. Such a great palm for So Cal!

Chris Chance

I have to agree Jason! This far inland just add some canopy and they do great. I have another that I will plant once I have more canopy in other areas.  At the rate the mules are growing I could have a spot within the next year.