IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Chance Garden

Chris Chance

So I joined Palm Talk 5 years ago and I finally got a place for a garden last year. I decided to show some progress since starting this garden a year go. My area is far from ideal but there's still some cool stuff growing here and it will get even more epic with time. In February my son was born so he's taken up a lot of time so I have loads of work to do but to start I'll show the progress since last year. 

To start this is the backyard July of last year 

20150704_074831-1200x2133.jpg

20150704_074852-1200x2133.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kentiopsis olivaformis doing well on the south side other the house. Also a small Sabal mauritiiformis by the pond.

20160907_162456-900x1600.jpg

20160907_162743-1600x900.jpg

• Upvote 3

For now the last is a planter I haven't gotten much work done yet but happening soon. Sabal minor and Sabal blackburniana. 

20160907_162550-900x1600.jpg

20160907_162609-1600x900.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

I figured for now I would showcase the best and the surprising palms I have growing after a year. Hope everyone enjoys what I've some so far and next year is going to be much nicer!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

no bizzy???

in your climate it will explode!!

maybe for the front planterB)

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Great start to what will be a nice garden. Lots of hard work too. Thumbs up!

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

9 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Great start!

Thanks Ben! Long way to go but it's really starting to come together. 

9 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Nice work!

All the best to you (and your family) with your beautiful plants.

best regards

Thank you! Family is doing great! They're loving the garden. 

8 hours ago, Josh-O said:

no bizzy???

Josh I do have one Bizzy but it had a bad start. It's looking to recover and actually is starting to explode but it's still small. Got it as a seedling at my first PSSC meeting. I wanted to line the driveway with them but my girl doesn't like them. She wanted to line it with Queens so we compromised and planted queens haha. 

20160829_162253-1200x2133.jpg

5 hours ago, realarch said:

Great start to what will be a nice garden. Lots of hard work too. Thumbs up!

Tim

Thanks Tim. It's very rewarding to see how much it has changed. Did almost everything myself.

3 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Looking good.:greenthumb:

Thanks Steve!

1 hour ago, Monòver said:

This garden needs more palms!!! Lol

I think it will be a nice jungle in the next years.

Haha yeah I have plenty of space to add more palms. It will take time and I will move things around so this place will change quite a bit over the years. I didn't take pictures of everything but at least whats looking good. There's even a 30 foot Washingtonia but the question with that one is to keep or not keep.

29 minutes ago, OverGrown said:

Nice to see your garden take shape Chris! 

Thank you!

Looking good Chris, that's a lot of work in just 1 year.  Nice job!  First year always seems the slowest as far as growth goes, so you should really see some of those take off in the next couple of years. 

50 minutes ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

Looking good Chris, that's a lot of work in just 1 year.  Nice job!  First year always seems the slowest as far as growth goes, so you should really see some of those take off in the next couple of years. 

Thanks Jason! Some of the palms I planted last year have really started moving the last few months. I'm starting to worry I went a little overboard but then again might not be a problem haha.

20 hours ago, Josh-O said:

no bizzy???

I was thinking the same thing!

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

13 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Josh I do have one Bizzy but it had a bad start. It's looking to recover and actually is starting to explode but it's still small. Got it as a seedling at my first PSSC meeting. I wanted to line the driveway with them but my girl doesn't like them. She wanted to line it with Queens so we compromised and planted queens haha. 

At least they're palms and not plums . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

CHris, your garden is off to a roaring start!

Keep us apprized (and you child's too . . . )

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, Pete in Paradise Hills said:

I was thinking the same thing!

I actually have a bunch that I started from seed a year ago. Bizzys are one of my favorites but my girl hates them. I've tried to convince her they really cool but she just wont come around. Just might have to sneak some into the ground then later claim they just popped up there haha. Hopefully the small one I got in the ground now takes off next year. truly Wish it was bigger now but they do get moving once those roots spread.

10 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

CHris, your garden is off to a roaring start!

Keep us apprized (and you child's too . . . )

Thanks Dave I'll update when the jungle eats the house haha.  

3 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I actually have a bunch that I started from seed a year ago. Bizzys are one of my favorites but my girl hates them. I've tried to convince her they really cool but she just wont come around. Just might have to sneak some into the ground then later claim they just popped up there haha. Hopefully the small one I got in the ground now takes off next year. truly Wish it was bigger now but they do get moving once those roots spread.

Thanks Dave I'll update when the jungle eats the house haha.  

Mine has!

Someone said it looks like the set of Apocalypse Now . . .

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Mine has!

Someone said it looks like the set of Apocalypse Now . . .

Haha you know no that you mention it your garden could have been used for that!

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2016, 7:04:43, Chris Chance said:

Mule a year ago and now.

20150818_193928-1200x2133.jpg

20160907_162203-900x1600.jpg

A few updates. This little guy isn't so little anymore! Three years from a seedling. 

20180724_195356.jpg

Edited by Chris Chance
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 9/7/2016, 7:05:54, Chris Chance said:

Beccariophoenix alfredii I grew for too long in a pot now starting to explode! 

20160907_162111-900x1600.jpg

One of my favorite palms really moving along. Beccariopheonix alfredii.

20180724_195324.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

That's all I got at the moment but I'll try to get more soon. Garden is starting to look nice but lots of work to do.

8 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Those both look great and seem to be thriving in your climate there!

Thanks Jason! Both of those seems to be loving the heat. It has been really hot this year. Today is supposed to be 109.

On 9/8/2016, 6:20:33, Chris Chance said:

This little Bizzy is starting to look nice!

20180725_071624.jpg

• Like 1