IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What states and locations do Palms become common to scarce?

Mr.SamuraiSword

I would guess on the west coast north of san fransisco and on the east coast.  and on the east coast past Hatteras NC.  when entering NC from SC many palms can be found by the coast. ive seen many sabals, pindos, and several date species as well as the occasional washingtonia and even trachycarpus palms  Ive even seen Some Sabal Palmettos near charlotte.  but creeping up the coast they become less common and get replaced by beach pines.  around nags head palms are so scarce ive come across around 7 pindos and sabals in the area. many southern coastal NC Streets look like this

4_year_sabal.jpg.0335c08c5a810d837f8e74eDSC_0358.thumb.jpg.ef9507a15ad23ef38abcc

here is your typical southern outer banks house!20160407235038543879000000-o.thumb.jpg.c

here is a northern outer banks house.

ed539e79a36a574e853a43470b67afa3.jpg.064

around the middle of the outer banks NC, pines like this start to replace the common sabal and pindo palms.  loblollypine.jpg.3c6766b7f6932a038c9c71f

and the palms start looking like thisPALMS2.thumb.jpg.9d951f91906c37ec41b5b24

around this area, windmills start replacing the sabal and pindo palms but even they seem scarce compared to the ornamental pines and dune grasses

.100_0681w.jpg.cb553433aa1a8e0c92eda7147f

• Upvote 3

Of course, if we are taking east coast, Florida has palms everywhere, once you get out of zone 8a Virginia beach they are not common, but they can be grown until you get to about Cumberland county, going westward and Hanover county to the north. Well, at least that is where it is harder to grow palms and starts to leave the subtropical zone.

image.png

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

Here in Alabama you can find Sabal Minors growing wild up to about Montgomery. And I'd say Butia Odorata, Sabal Palmetto, and Chamaerops Humilis are all hardy(except during freak winters) up to about the fall line which is one county north of Montgomery. Where as Needle palms, Sabal Minors, and Trachycarpus Fortunei can grow anywhere in north Alabama without much problem.

Huntsville is only 165 miles north of Montgomery but there is a massive difference in how bad the winters are. Last winter our minimum low was 25F while it got down to around 15F in north Alabama. Plus, they usually get some type of snow or ice event every year. I used to get mad because it seemed like it was impossible for us to get snow in Montgomery but now I couldn't be happier :D 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nitsua0895 said:

Here in Alabama you can find Sabal Minors growing wild up to about Montgomery. And I'd say Butia Odorata, Sabal Palmetto, and Chamaerops Humilis are all hardy(except during freak winters) up to about the fall line which is one county north of Montgomery. Where as Needle palms, Sabal Minors, and Trachycarpus Fortunei can grow anywhere in north Alabama without much problem.

Huntsville is only 165 miles north of Montgomery but there is a massive difference in how bad the winters are. Last winter our minimum low was 25F while it got down to around 15F in north Alabama. Plus, they usually get some type of snow or ice event every year. I used to get mad because it seemed like it was impossible for us to get snow in Montgomery but now I couldn't be happier :D 

Northern Alabama does get pretty dang cold. It seems the piedmont areas of South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama are all about the same as far as winter severity. Once you're on the coastal plains, winters are milder and the native sabals start popping up here and there. When is the last time y'all had snow in Montgomery?

1 hour ago, smithgn said:

Northern Alabama does get pretty dang cold. It seems the piedmont areas of South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama are all about the same as far as winter severity. Once you're on the coastal plains, winters are milder and the native sabals start popping up here and there. When is the last time y'all had snow in Montgomery?

We got a dusting of snow in January 2013 or 2014 but the most I've ever seen from one storm is 2 inches. I actually found this article about the blizzard of 1993 in Alabama. http://www.alabamawx.com/?p=1201

I don't remember it because I wasn't alive yet but even with that kind of event we only managed 4 inches here. Do you live in the coastal plains or piedmont of South Carolina?

I would think palms would be pretty common anywhere USDA 8b+. I'm sure there are plenty in 8a locations, but I'd guess they get a lot more rare. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎54‎:‎58‎, nitsua0895 said:

We got a dusting of snow in January 2013 or 2014 but the most I've ever seen from one storm is 2 inches. I actually found this article about the blizzard of 1993 in Alabama. http://www.alabamawx.com/?p=1201

I don't remember it because I wasn't alive yet but even with that kind of event we only managed 4 inches here. Do you live in the coastal plains or piedmont of South Carolina?

Interesting. Yeah we got hammered In the winter of 2013-2014 with snow and ice. Before that It was like 2006 since we saw anything significant, I believe.

Since I live in the suburbs of Columbia, technically, I live in the Piedmont. The city of Columbia itself is interesting because it straddles the line between the piedmont and the coastal plain.

• Upvote 1

Palms are still very common north of San Francisco. In fact along the coast, Trachycarpus will grow reliably at least to Victoria and Saltspring Island in British Columbia, Canada. There are century-old pheonix canariensis as far north as Arcata and Crescent City. Arcata has some beautiful, old victorian homes with large phoenix palms, and their downtown park has a beautiful pair of them also. I know of others growing washingtonia, pheonix canariensis, butia, and jubaea in Brookings, Oregon without protection. In fact, there are lots of old, large phoenix canariensis in Brookings. Again, this is along the coast. Inland though, Redding, CA seems to be where you can expect to stop seeing many palms as you travel north. 

• Upvote 1