IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabinaria magnifica

Jim in Los Altos

• 1 month later...
On 29/1/2017 15:15:07, Pal Meir said:

Philippe, I made it visible, only for you: :innocent:

588df8bf28731_N15112017-01-29P1030319.th

Look how Sabinaria is already watching outside, dreaming about the wonderful journey to airport... landing very well under coconut canopy of some srilankan garden.:)

• Upvote 3

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎38‎:‎59‎, cassowaryhill said:

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah, me too. :o:wub:  Feeling palm envy looking at all the pretty babies, then the photos in the article, wow.  I might have to put some of these on my 2nd acre. Soon!

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

The 3rd leaf is much wider than the former two:

58e3c1bb67504_N15112017-04-04P1030456.th

58e3c1c26c1a3_N15112017-04-04P1030457.th

MAGNIFIC !

Philippe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Leaf #5 is showing its woolly tip: :o

5936c7f650d3f_N15112017-06-06IMG_9226.th

:yay: always such an emotion seeing the progress of this baby.
Soon'll be able to travel and come to a nice srilankan garden as a UM  (Unaccompanied Minor)

Unless you come also, Pal Meir, driving the yellow Audi till our Doranakanda jungle !

• Upvote 4

Philippe

Man, you guys make me wanna get one! But the prices are too high right now and I am content to watch everyone else growing it, for now. I also have a feeling this palm will be as common as a Kerriodoxa in ten years or so. I have one of those on my three properties and sold a bunch recently, I grew up to ones and three gallons, from seed. I like Kerriodoxa but I am not crazy about it...

4 minutes ago, Scott Cohen said:

I'm just gonna leave this right here 

IMG_6437.JPG

Wowowowowow 

@Jim in Los Altos How's yours doing? I don't think I have any hope of growing this inland in Fresno. 

• Upvote 1

Scott's got a green thumb-and he knows some pressure points! Looking sharp, buddy.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

:yay:How old is it? How long have I to wait till my seedling will look like your palm? :drool:

Yeah good question

The seed arrived at the end of 2015 with the first sprout forming march 2016. This palm has been a great grower down here and I am excited to see what it will do in the ground.

• Upvote 2

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

22 minutes ago, Scott Cohen said:

The seed arrived at the end of 2015 with the first sprout forming march 2016. This palm has been a great grower down here and I am excited to see what it will do in the ground.

For goodness sakes, Scott, get you an avatar!

Ok Scott, now you have something I'll trade for. Licuala.....remember?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

8 hours ago, Scott Cohen said:

So the sun/climate of Miami seems to give better growing conditions than my 50 W reading lamp … ;)

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

10 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

So the sun/climate of Miami seems to give better growing conditions than my 50 W reading lamp … ;)

Imagine what can offer a lovely sunny hot and humid srilankan climate ! don't tell to your Sabinaria :mellow:

• Upvote 1

Philippe

Beautiful job with that, Scott. Kudos! I wonder how mature leaves will do in seasonally windy areas without standing canopy overhead, but it sure is pretty, even in youth. Think most people don't understand the practical difficulties of nurturing delicate dinosaurs in their gardens, so predict it will probably be *mostly* restricted to the conservatories of a few public gardens and sheltered, fully tropical areas once they start to mature. That having been said, certainly worth every effort to site it where it gets max heat, humidity and protection from anything stronger than a breeze.

Jay

Jim, this is how they looked when they came.  These were for a friend who gave me the largest one of the four which is right now is on it´s fourth leaf., a small spear about 4 inches.  It looks great.  I was worried about my salty air but the rainy season just started and it´s beautiful.  It´s warm here and I keep it in full shade.

It´s only been here a couple of months and I am thinking of putting it in the ground.

Peter

20170421_155352.jpg

• Upvote 2

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

35 minutes ago, Peter Pacific said:

Jim, this is how they looked when they came.  These were for a friend who gave me the largest one of the four which is right now is on it´s fourth leaf., a small spear about 4 inches.  It looks great.  I was worried about my salty air but the rainy season just started and it´s beautiful.  It´s warm here and I keep it in full shade.

It´s only been here a couple of months and I am thinking of putting it in the ground.

Peter

20170421_155352.jpg

Peter,

You're on the good coast, if you sail westwards enough and carefully, you'll reach our lovely srilankan island, and your Sabinaria will be so happy. we'll offer you some tea :mellow:

• Upvote 1

Philippe

I just received these guys yesterday from Jeff Marcus  

IMG_4063.thumb.JPG.640558916cea5c325568eIMG_4064.thumb.JPG.036a0c074cb649db8339b

• Upvote 2

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

38 minutes ago, sur4z said:

I just received these guys yesterday from Jeff Marcus  

IMG_4063.thumb.JPG.640558916cea5c325568eIMG_4064.thumb.JPG.036a0c074cb649db8339b

Merry Christmas ! :mellow: do you know where to plant them ? if not ...... 

• Upvote 1

Philippe

• 2 weeks later...

Started my new job today and while on break, I decided to snap a couple shots of this bad boy-please, no drooling on your electronic devices!

20170619_123348.jpg

20170619_123354.jpg

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Started my new job today and while on break, I decided to snap a couple shots of this bad boy-please, no drooling on your electronic devices!

20170619_123348.jpg

20170619_123354.jpg

:drool:*DROOL* :drool:*DROOL* :drool:

Is it yours ??? :yay:

Haha, no. It belongs to the best botanical garden in the world for palms and cycads; Montgomery Botanical Center.

5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

:drool:*DROOL* :drool:*DROOL* :drool:

Is it yours ??? :yay:

Is it real ???

Philippe

On June 19, 2017 at 4:53:15 PM, Mandrew968 said:

20170619_123348.jpg

20170619_123354.jpg

Sounds like a great start to your new job with the fringe benefits of photographing a Sabinaria on your break! Of course it is on my wish list...

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2017, 1:44:20, stone jaguar said:

Think most people don't understand the practical difficulties of nurturing delicate dinosaurs in their gardens, so predict it will probably be *mostly* restricted to the conservatories of a few public gardens and sheltered, fully tropical areas once they start to mature.

Jay

Jay, would you mind elaborating on this? What do you mean by "delicate dinosaurs"? Also, why do you think it will be so sensitive to a bit of chill, and to what degree? What else can you tell me about growing it? Mine is pushing out its 4th leaf right now and I want to keep it as happy and healthy as possible. Thanks!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I am excited to see what it will do in the ground...

So do I,

First, repotted, in the ground next year:

P1060635.thumb.JPG.f36b24ee8fbadd2b7dc8dP1060636.thumb.JPG.73b5be55f9c3bd6b25b12P1060661.thumb.JPG.73da57ff19085e04dc06eP1060662.thumb.JPG.032f5031d2296b6293578P1060662.thumb.JPG.1fac4fd41b61ff20a00eb

see the sprouting native coconut watching them !

• Upvote 2

Philippe

16 hours ago, Missi said:

Jay, would you mind elaborating on this? What do you mean by "delicate dinosaurs"? Also, why do you think it will be so sensitive to a bit of chill, and to what degree? What else can you tell me about growing it? Mine is pushing out its 4th leaf right now and I want to keep it as happy and healthy as possible. Thanks!

These relatively large palms originate from one one the most hyper-tropical environments in the world, Chocoan pluvial forest. The attain respectable sizes in nature and gave large leaves that look extremely wind-intolerant. While no doubt an outstanding subject for large/tall tropical greenhouses and conservatories, I wonder how they will perform when pushed out into the wide world and poke their heads above the surrounding canopy? From a purely climatic standpoint, I think growers who succeed with Itaya long-term will probably do well with them.

Would guess it's also not crazy about limestone soils, but this will not be an issue while still in pots in FL.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

These relatively large palms originate from one one the most hyper-tropical environments in the world, Chocoan pluvial forest. The attain respectable sizes in nature and gave large leaves that look extremely wind-intolerant. While no doubt an outstanding subject for large/tall tropical greenhouses and conservatories, I wonder how they will perform when pushed out into the wide world and poke their heads above the surrounding canopy? From a purely climatic standpoint, I think growers who succeed with Itaya long-term will probably do well with them.

Would guess it's also not crazy about limestone soils, but this will not be an issue while still in pots in FL.

Thank you for this information! I will research this Chocoan pluvial forest they are native to. Is that the same forest as Choco Forest? I love having this specific information, for the care of my animals as well as my plants!

On 6/8/2017, 1:44:20, stone jaguar said:

Beautiful job with that, Scott. Kudos! I wonder how mature leaves will do in seasonally windy areas without standing canopy overhead, but it sure is pretty, even in youth. Think most people don't understand the practical difficulties of nurturing delicate dinosaurs in their gardens, so predict it will probably be *mostly* restricted to the conservatories of a few public gardens and sheltered, fully tropical areas once they start to mature. That having been said, certainly worth every effort to site it where it gets max heat, humidity and protection from anything stronger than a breeze.

Jay

I think I'm gonna have to agree with you, but man so tempting.

In contrast to the seedlings growing in natural habitat under the canopy of tall trees the seedlings in cultivation can have extremely short leaf petioles even if grown on a relatively shady northern window sill in Germany:

5981f49a9b466_N15112017-08-02P1030927.th

• Upvote 1

Yes, the locality in Colombia is a rifle shot ("...less than one km away...") from the border with eastern Darien in Panama. Almost certainly occur their too.

J

• Upvote 1

So why was it not discovered until 2013? I know it's not a safe area to visit, but certainly it hasn't always been unsafe. Didn't botanists and naturalists do a crap ton of exploring in the 1800s and before? It's not like it's a small plant to be overlooked. 

What is the best resource to learn all about this palm? I've read the initial publication. Anything more current?