Sign in to follow this  
Sabal Steve

Growing Massive Fan Palms in Temperate Mediterranean Climates

Sabal Steve

I haven't been able to find much on growing the more massive fan palms (mostly Borassus and Corypha) in Mediterranean climates.  Many know of the Corypha in Bird Rock, San Diego, but does anyone know of other attempts.  There's a big Borassus at the Zoo, and it's thriving.  Here's some updated pics.  I germinated a few C. utan in the Spring, and they are already pushing their fourth leaf.  Faster than all of my other seedlings.  Soon, I'll probably plant one.

IMAG1003.thumb.jpg.f78040704e453d213ad14IMAG1002.thumb.jpg.f4a0ba06b6e7d2e5c1cf1

• Upvote 5

Small palm

Nice looking palm there. I'm interested in this thread too because I live in a Mediterranean climate and I love big fan palms. 

• Upvote 1

Sabal Steve

Here's a few pics of a C. umbraculiferia that was growing in costal San Diego.  It's obviously been there for a while, but doesn't look all that great.  Anyone have any idea on the cause of the "crispy" look?   

post-126-0-17320600-1386610385.thumb.jpgpost-126-0-41945500-1386610316.thumb.jpgpost-126-0-76197400-1386610565.thumb.jpgpost-126-0-90408500-1386610389.thumb.jpgpost-206-0-82021800-1386657365.jpg.d8816post-206-0-80949000-1386657357.jpg.dacf5post-206-0-79889900-1386657362.jpg.c6918

• Upvote 5

Kris

Dear Steve,

Nice visuals..and that talipot palms feet is full of rocks that has to be removed and during summers it must be watered every alternate days.Since these palms don't like dry hot climate.Since these belong to hot wet tropical zones having high coastal humidity.

Inspite of all these that palm does look healthy and well grown.Those stones in its feet must go !

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

Danilopez89
59 minutes ago, Kris said:

Dear Steve,

Nice visuals..and that talipot palms feet is full of rocks that has to be removed and during summers it must be watered every alternate days.Since these palms don't like dry hot climate.Since these belong to hot wet tropical zones having high coastal humidity.

Inspite of all these that palm does look healthy and well grown.Those stones in its feet must go !

Love,

Kris.

I would imagine that the rocks help the palm by providing the root zone with some extra heat on the sunny days out by the cool SD coast. 

Also rocks are very good at retaining moisture in the soil under them. I like my rocks better than mulch ^_^

• Upvote 1

rprimbs

That Borassus looks pretty nice!  I think the Corypha's are too darn slow here.  I wanna grow one of those double coconuts...

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      This park is truly a Sabal pametto paradise.  I know, there are plenty of parks in Florida with wild Sabal palmetto forests; however, there is something about the way nature presents itself here that keeps me coming back.  These pictures were taken on Christmas Day of 2020.  I have also seen Roystonea regia and Serenoa repens growing in the park as well.

• GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      So, I have always understood that Sabal species need to have a portion of their heel showing above the ground line when young.  Other palm growers have told me this, and the Palmpedia entry for Sabal palmetto even says the same thing; namely, that “…this is a tillering palm, it exhibits saxophone style root growth (it has a heel), keep top third of heel above soil elevation” (http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Sabal_palmetto).  I have always followed that advise for the Sabal species I have grown (S. palmetto, S. mexicana, S. minor, S. causiarum, and S. uresana), and I have kept a good portion on the heel above ground level (both planted in pots, and planted in the ground).  I have had success in most cases; however, I have come to question the necessity of that “conventional wisdom” recently after a trip to visit my father in Cape Coral, Florida last Christmas.  We went to J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island for a hike and, while there, I paid close attention to the young Sabal palmetto palms that were growing all over the place.  I must have inspected over 60 juveniles, ranging from new seedlings, to palm frond heights of 3 to 4 feet.  I could not find one young Sabal palmetto that was showing a heel.  Most of the juveniles without trunks had their petioles growing straight out of the ground (or sand as the case may be).  Since they are growing wild in habitat, I figure this is how they normally grow.  Below are a few pictures I snapped there depicting this.  Do any of you have thoughts on the necessity of showing heels on your Sabal species?

• Jibril enterprise
      By Jibril enterprise
      Fresh Borassus aethiopum seeds for sale, 3 seeds for $43 including shipping and phyto certificate.
      5 seeds for $60 including shipping and phyto certificate.
      10 seeds for $100 including shipping and phyto certificate.
      You can click here for more African seeds: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Jibrilenterprise?ref=SellerDashboard
      I accept payment via PayPal: jibrilenterprise@yahoo.com
      You can also contact me on my Whatsapp number: +233248888949

• Jibril enterprise
      By Jibril enterprise
      Hi forum,
       I Just wanted to introduce myself; I am Jibril Abdul Razak from Ghana, CEO of Jibril Enterprise, I have grown up around African palms ( Borassus aethiopum, Elaeis guineensis, wild date palm etc), My parents are big farmers and I grew up loving that passion. My general interest is selling african palm and other African seeds to the world, I am old seller on the following website: Etsy, eBay, Bonanza, and tropicalfruitforum.com with username "Jibril Enterprise".  I look forward to being apart of this group! 
      Thank you.
    • edbrown_III
      By edbrown_III
      Looking fer Sabal etonia plants or seeds 

contact me 
      Ed Brown ----