IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

(Not so) guerilla planting opportunity

Hammer

Howdy,

I have a really great chance to add some palms and other landscaping to city property. I spoke with the City Manager yesterday who gave me the verbal go ahead to do some landscaping on the hill that adjoins my back yard.  

He said as long as I plant things that will NOT require the city to maintain them, I am good to go.

I will post pics of the hill tomorrow.  The area is infested with gophers, gets hammered by the sun, is pretty dry for the most part and gets water spray from sprinklers that are city owned.  

Would love a Bizzie or two...but, the gophers are probably not going to cooperate with that selection.  I would love to add a grove of Kings but they probably need more water than the area currently gets.

Maybe Alfies? But then they like water too. Probably would survive but might not really thrive... do gophers like their roots too?  Dunno. Since they are not crownshafted the city might get annoyed with potential perceived maintenance.

Am planning to put a plumeria or two up there too.  No idea what the gophers think of their roots.

At the end of the day, I would love to have a grove of the same species if possible.  I like the look but don't have space in my yard to do it.

Any suggestions on what I should plant?  Input is GREATLY appreciated. 

• Upvote 1

Found a couple pics on my phone!  It looks super green in the photos because this is just after winter rains ended.  This hill is 2 stories high from the yard to the peak.

20160320_184427.jpg

• Upvote 2

"Dick:
The first thing we do, let's kill all the gophers."

-William Shakespeare, Henry VI

• Upvote 5

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'd think there is really only one genus that would genuinely require zero care in our climate, or close to it.  I'm thinking Brahea.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

24 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'd think there is really only one genus that would genuinely require zero care in our climate, or close to it.  I'm thinking Brahea.

That would be pretty nice, the real concerning thing here are the gophers! Washintonia, after time will start to have the cost of dead fronds hanging down and falling off at random times, so that would need to be maintained at some time. Brrahea edulis (like Darold Petty mentioned) would be a good choice.

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

I agree that large plantings of the same palm are attractive. Can't you put a wire mesh in the planting hole to protect them from gophers? I thought I saw someone on Palmtalk do that. Every plant needs some maintenance, even well adapted things like Braheas. Can you get up there to trim the fronds yourself? Or just pick up fronds after they dry up and fall?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Excellent! This could be a great area that would visually extend you yard. Most Brahea are certainly drought tolerant when established. Maybe you can sneak a drip line up there to get a few things established? Maybe Dypsis Decaryi, Allagopterra, Hyphaene, Trithrinax, Copernicia, certain Syagrus, etc.  Lots of drought tolerant species you could try.

• Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

3 minutes ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Excellent! This could be a great area that would visually extend you yard. Most Brahea are certainly drought tolerant when established. Maybe you can sneak a drip line up there to get a few things established? Maybe Dypsis Decaryi, Allagopterra, Hyphaene, Trithrinax, Copernicia, certain Syagrus, etc.  Lots of drought tolerant species you could try.

Parajubaea would be another one if you can sneak a drip line up there, or otherwise somehow irrigate.  I suspect in time they would become self sustaining, but definitely need water while establishing in California.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming.

I could run some drip irrigation up the hill if necessary. Or maaayyybe, the city will let me tap the existing sprinker line and run drip.  If so, that changes the equation significantly.

I suppose some gopher cages are an option too.  Then the concern becomes "tap water" in the crown from the sprinklers.

Hey Adam, give Parajubaea Sunkha a try up there.  Beautiful palms that seem to get by on very little water.  Hard to beat them for a lush and tropical look that doesn't require a ton of irrigation.

9 hours ago, Firepalm said:

Hey Adam, give Parajubaea Sunkha a try up there.  Beautiful palms that seem to get by on very little water.  Hard to beat them for a lush and tropical look that doesn't require a ton of irrigation.

I like the P. sunkha idea. Very anecdotally, they seem to take dry better for me than the others in the genus.

Ben Rogers

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming.

I could run some drip irrigation up the hill if necessary. Or maaayyybe, the city will let me tap the existing sprinker line and run drip.  If so, that changes the equation significantly.

I suppose some gopher cages are an option too.  Then the concern becomes "tap water" in the crown from the sprinklers.

If you can run drip I'd plant a grove of B. alfredii. Otherwise I like the P. sunkha idea if they indeed are drought tolerant. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)