IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best "Exotic/Unique" Palms For Hilton Head Island, SC

PalmTreeDude

I do not live in Hilton Head, I have been there and it is amazing! I see a lot of typical SC palms, (palmettos, Windmills, Washingtonias, etc.) but I want to know, what are some good unique palms that could do well on the island? I saw some Medjool Date Palms, a Queen Palm here and there, and some Phoenix roebelenii. Anything else? The island is on the boarder of zone 8a/9a, the south side has most of the 9a palms, and they were VERY tall and seemed to be thriving! Well, the queens were extremely tall and the Medjool Date Palms TOWERED over homes in neighbor hoods. What do you think any more exotic palms for the area could be that will survive? 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typo

PalmTreeDude

Maybe Arenga engleri, Bismarckia nobillis, Copernicia alba ? There are some nice specimens of these species in the Houston area. I'm surprised pygmy dates grow there, did they survive the freezes a few years back? 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I'm really surprised queens and pygmy dates grow there. I thought the limit for queens was around Saint Simons Island, GA and I know the foliage on pygmy dates is in the same league as a royal (just more bud hardy.) If those two live there it might be worth experimenting with a majesty, apparently some are living in Tallahassee which is 8b.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

Maybe Arenga engleri, Bismarckia nobillis, Copernicia alba ? There are some nice specimens of these species in the Houston area. I'm surprised pygmy dates grow there, did they survive the freezes a few years back? 

They where very tall (for  Phoenix roebelenii) so I am going to assume that the worst that has ever happened to them was a burnt frond here or there.

4 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

I'm really surprised queens and pygmy dates grow there. I thought the limit for queens was around Saint Simons Island, GA and I know the foliage on pygmy dates is in the same league as a royal (just more bud hardy.) If those two live there it might be worth experimenting with a majesty, apparently some are living in Tallahassee which is 8b.

I was amazed when I saw the Medjool Date Palms and the Queen Palms! I thought I would only be seeing palmettos and palms with similar cold tolerance. There were also Canary Island Date Palms everywhere you look! There is no way the island is just 8b. 

PalmTreeDude

53 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

They where very tall (for  Phoenix roebelenii) so I am going to assume that the worst that has ever happened to them was a burnt frond here or there.

I was amazed when I saw the Medjool Date Palms and the Queen Palms! I thought I would only be seeing palmettos and palms with similar cold tolerance. There were also Canary Island Date Palms everywhere you look! There is no way the island is just 8b. 

Yup, I haven't seen them in person, but I heard from a friend of mine that Medjool date palms are now popular public plantings there.

4 minutes ago, smithgn said:

Yup, I haven't seen them in person, but I heard from a friend of mine that Medjool date palms are now popular public plantings there.

Oops, Ive shared this comment before lol But If I had to name a few to try, I'd try a Copernicia Alba and there are many Livistonas I would try such as Nitida, decipiens (decora) or maybe even a Livistona Saribus. I've seen pictures of a rather tall Copernicia alba growing in Jacksonville, Florida so it's definintely worth a try in Hilton Head.

• Upvote 1

Queen is the borderline for me....so basically anything that I can grow plus queens and alba.

N. richiana var. arabica 

All hybrids

Maybe try sunkha and alfredii for giggles

Trithrinax sp.

Rhapis sp.

Various Sabals

Chuniophoenix nana

Others that were mentioned above

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Allogoptera 

Livistonia saribus in 9a

2016-09-03 13.34.54.jpg

• Like 2

ive seen sylvester dates and canary island dates in north carolina south of bald head island,  they might be worth a try

Most likely green .... it went through Polar Vortex and survived

Quite possibly Livistona chinensis.  Of course Sabal palmetto is native and one can try other Sabals.

South Carolina's own Yucca gloriosa has been grown in England since the 1570s or so.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

16 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

It is probably worth experimenting with a Majesty, I agree, and there are some living in Tallahassee. I just wanted to add that I'm familiar with the Tallahassee Majesty planting (it's on Tennessee St) and they are under an overhang and right downtown and therefore enjoy an urban, hilly microclimate and are definitely not hardy in the general area, imo. But of course, Hilton Head is probably a lot warmer, so go for it. Plus they're cheap.

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

These will all do fine there no problem.

Livistona chinensis

Livistona decipiens

Rhapis excelsa (With overhead canopy)

Chamaedorea microspadix

Chamaedorea Radicalis

Chamaedorea cataractarum

Most all date palms (roebelenii  is a wimp)

Acoelorraphe wrightii

Arenga engleri

All sabals

All Butia's

All Washingtonias

Best bet is to try others at your own risk...

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

All sabals

I think S. mauriiformis might be too sensitive though, maybe S. yapa too. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

5 hours ago, redbeard917 said:

It is probably worth experimenting with a Majesty, I agree, and there are some living in Tallahassee. I just wanted to add that I'm familiar with the Tallahassee Majesty planting (it's on Tennessee St) and they are under an overhang and right downtown and therefore enjoy an urban, hilly microclimate and are definitely not hardy in the general area, imo. But of course, Hilton Head is probably a lot warmer, so go for it. Plus they're cheap.

Thanks for the insight! :greenthumb:

I'd bet that Hilton Head has seen as low as 3 F in the last 30 years, so everything has it's limit in time. King palm was grown in Charleston with mild protection years ago.  Jubaea x butia looks pretty tropical sometimes and would virtually never have problems.  

• Like 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

8 minutes ago, VA Jeff said:

I'd bet that Hilton Head has seen as low as 3 F in the last 30 years, so everything has it's limit in time. King palm was grown in Charleston with mild protection years ago.  Jubaea x butia looks pretty tropical sometimes and would virtually never have problems.  

A. Alexandrae in Charleston? How long did it last?

Can't remember the guy's name, but he was from SC and moved to Utah.  Brian maybe?  Cunninghamiana though, near a house.  Now I know someone near Bluffton, SC who lost quite a few hardy palms 2-3 winters ago.  Or you could just plant a needle palm and never worry. I planted one at my sister's house within walking distance of the Potomac River in Virginia 13 years ago, and it is alive today after below 0 temps.

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

16 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

King palm? Dang! That is crazy, I would not think I would see a king palm until I got to central Florida.

PalmTreeDude

Haven't heard of anyone growing a king I ground here. About the only place it would stand a chance would be downtown. With all the brick & concrete walls as well as overhead canopy there are many heat islands down there.