IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Wichita, August 30, 2016

jfrye01@live.com

Hello all, been a while since I have posted here, but I wish to share some beauties with you all! These palms are located around a church in downtown Wichita, Kansas.  As far as I know, they have never had any further artificial protection.  I took these pictures today, lots and lots of fruiting sabals and some other treats!  Enjoy! :)

-Jacob in Kansas

57c6527f32493_Palms8.30.16004.thumb.JPG.57c652ac93e21_Palms8.30.16002.thumb.JPG.57c6535775a47_Palms8.30.16006.thumb.JPG.57c6538c39cb6_Palms8.30.16010.thumb.JPG.

• Upvote 6

El_Dorado.gif

Just now, JASON M said:

Very cool. I didn't realize KS would possibly have some growing in the ground.

I had no idea it was a possibility until I came across these guys in late 2013...Strange thing is, they look just as happy in February! If they weren't seeding, I'd think they were fake;) 

El_Dorado.gif

57c656340481c_Palms8.30.16017.thumb.JPG.

Volunteer needle

57c65669ca3ca_Palms8.30.16020.thumb.JPG.

More sabal minors, even thriving on the north side of the building! 

• Upvote 2

El_Dorado.gif

Impressive and all looks super healthy to boot. The overhang of the roof probably plays quite an important roll as does the heat from the bricks.

Regards Neil

2 minutes ago, Neil C said:

Impressive and all looks super healthy to boot. The overhang of the roof probably plays quite an important roll as does the heat from the bricks.

Regards Neil

Definitely. Our winters are almost always wet and rainy...

El_Dorado.gif

068.thumb.PNG.000fae92b1a3299b9591f12fe1

Here is my Sabal mexicana, planted March 2014.  It has really taken off this year, despite having some fronds chewed off by the dogs...lol

092.thumb.JPG.195dd48d054960f3e6c0460c49

Here is one of my Washingtonia, planted in May

094.thumb.JPG.ac4edcba0133b432e21ae6162c

This is my other washy, been in the ground since June 2015.  I protected it last winter with a plastic barrel..it has grown like crazy this year...it loves the triple digits we've been having, even if I don't! ;) 

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

• 4 months later...

Here's an update on these palms, taken last week. During the first week of December, we plunged into the negatives for a night. Temperatures plunged to -7F in south central Kansas. In downtown Wichita, temps were recorded around -3F.  Since then, we haven't seen anything below about 20-25, but the damage was done by that one cold snap. 

Palmetto

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

Edited by jfrye01@live.com
  • Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

Being a Kansas native, I really enjoy these updates! Those palms must love the hot, muggy summers. Probably the only reason they hang on through less-than-ideal winters... :D

Edited by pin38

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

On 1/30/2017, 10:42:07, pin38 said:

Being a Kansas native, I really enjoy these updates! Those palms must love the hot, muggy summers. Probably the only reason they hang on through less-than-ideal winters... :D

It sure takes a special kind of palm to handle 70 degrees one day and 20 the next...lol...

El_Dorado.gif