buffy

Yatay Mule (Butia yatay X Syagrus romanzoffiana)

buffy

Finally we're getting to a point where I'm hopeful on the Yatay Queen. It's now been about 15 months since the massacre in my garden. The fronds are getting bigger and healthier. We'll see. I kept it protected through the winter.

IMG_20190329_170701444.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RJ

Look at that! Did you build a structure around it this winter? Looks like your winter was about the same as mine, I had a low of 23.5. 

Hopefully that texas heat kicks it into high gear. 

How did your sweet looking Mazari palm do in that cold snap. 

buffy
1 minute ago, RJ said:

How did your sweet looking Mazari palm do in that cold snap. 

It's still cleaning itself up

IMG_20190329_174135221.jpg

• Like 1

buffy

Hey, that's starting to look healthy again.

20191117_153039.jpg

• Like 4

buffy

Uuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . . I'm sure that'll buff out.

20191117_165314.jpg

RJ

So sad the trunk took such a hit. Sure the guys on Pirate will have a solution, maybe some DOM support ;)

In all seriousness might have to put up some permanent supports for it.  Crowns looking good though. :greenthumb:

buffy
59 minutes ago, RJ said:

So sad the trunk took such a hit. Sure the guys on Pirate will have a solution, maybe some DOM support ;)

In all seriousness might have to put up some permanent supports for it.  Crowns looking good though. :greenthumb:

Funny you mentioned Pirate. I quit posting there long ago because of how arrogant and rude a minority of those posters behaved.  I'm thinking I may install a few vertical cypress supports and see what happens. 

RJ
5 hours ago, buffy said:

Funny you mentioned Pirate. I quit posting there long ago because of how arrogant and rude a minority of those posters behaved.  I'm thinking I may install a few vertical cypress supports and see what happens. 

I haven't been on there in over 10 years. I have a 78 CJ on 1 tons. Pretty tame by pirate standards for sure. But I agree when I was on there, there was certainly a group of rude folks. But there is a ton of knowledge on there just to lurk on. 

Regarding your mule though, I agree some supports would be a good idea IMO. 

buffy
23 hours ago, RJ said:

I haven't been on there in over 10 years. I have a 78 CJ on 1 tons. Pretty tame by pirate standards for sure. But I agree when I was on there, there was certainly a group of rude folks. But there is a ton of knowledge on there just to lurk on. 

Regarding your mule though, I agree some supports would be a good idea IMO. 

That's awesome. I have a '78 K5 that my father purchased new. It's my run-around play vehicle that I take the kids out for adventure. It's rare that I find another person that shares an interest in palm trees and vintage 4x4s, but here you are. Cheers!

contact1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RJ
31 minutes ago, buffy said:

That's awesome. I have a '78 K5 that my father purchased new. It's my run-around play vehicle that I take the kids out for adventure. It's rare that I find another person that shares an interest in palm trees and vintage 4x4s, but here you are. Cheers!

Right on! I love the old full size iron! I don't have any good action shots of my CJ on this computer. It's on a re-tubed 78 F350 front 60, and a 01 Ford HP60 in the rear with 4.88's and detroits. Original 304 pared to an Early Chevy NV4500 coupled to a D300 with Terra Low 4:1 and HD outputs. Here it is loaded up on a flatbed as a trailer queen for the 1000 mile move to SC with all my other crap, and the last pic is sadly at the storage facility. It's under cover at least, and resting there till the house is built.  Goes down the highway like a champ yet still crawls like a champ. My wife loves driving it. 

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

Edited by RJ

Fusca
On 11/18/2019 at 2:25 PM, RJ said:

I have a 78 CJ

1 hour ago, buffy said:

I have a '78 K5

So which vehicle is more cold-hardy?  :P

• Like 4

buffy

Fusca: That's super funny.

RJ: Epic.

buffy

I don't have the heart to put her down, so I'll probably build some supports and let her run. 

yataymule.jpg

• Like 5

jimmyt

She is looking good now!   Maybe some supports will help.  Classify her as a Palm with a Disability.  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

RJ

Right on! 

Dartolution

Just use ramen noodles and buff it out like they do in all those videos! hahaha

• Like 2

necturus

Jesus, how does that thing stand up? I’m surprised a bad storm hasn’t taken it out. Wild!

Tropicdoc

That's a shame because I love the look- the way you had cleaned the boots. I would love to hear your method. I'm not at that stage yet but I have 4 butia x pjc and 2 b x j x q that I plan on creating clean trunks.

buffy

The boots are fairly self cleaning.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      What are the light requirements of a spring sprouted Butia…it’s pushing out its second strap leaf and is in full sun…it was a fortuitous find and I want to treat it properly. 
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Was watering and weeding this morning and noticed the wet, sunny Needle and the Brazoria trunks’ have really grown…the needle in height and the Brazoria in diameter. There are two other Needle trunks behind the one in the photo that are pretty tall as well, though lagging behind the one here.

The Brazoria trunk really thickened as it pushes two flower spikes and four new fronds…by season’s end it will have four fully released fronds…given its slow history, this is amazing…guess that taproot finally reached its destination…

Happy to have a Needle clumping palm that is establishing a trunk since zone 7 doesn’t harbor a climate for a variety of trunking palms…same for the trunking Brazoria…these are two that can have their trunks shown off, if you have the time to wait…Question for you Texas folks…generally speaking, how did Brazorias do during the freeze? Do they seem to rank among the survivors? 
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Good morning! Don’t want to be boring on such a beautiful day but wanted to update on my zone 7 palms here in Northern Virginia. So far, no long, oppressive stretches of heat, somewhat cool nights, beneficial rains…not your typical NOVA experience…

Named it Sasquatch…it’s trunk is about 9 feet tall now and that furry top 2 feet reminds me of a Sasquatch head. I do think it’s genetically engineered for the winter cold. It’s been a great palm.

Sunny, wetter Needle…

Shady, drier Needle…

Brazoria really busting out and I’ll have seeds for the first time in 8 years or so…will definitely sprout some and share some if the damn squirrels don’t get to them first.

Newest Trachy with some insect damage I’ve never seen before but it’s growing fast…stop yawning…

Medi really doing well with a 2’ trunk but practically no protection. This past mild winter did yield some frond damage so guess I’ll just be cautious and ready to shroud it as long as that is possible…it’s really not a lot of damage, just enough to set off my neurotic urge to cut fronds off that otherwise should be left alone…but I’ve left them alone and, of course, my eye is drawn to the brown segment distractions but I’m getting better at accepting it.

Mr. McCurtain…nice bluish cast to it but blue doesn’t grow it, so it remains as it is…maybe one frond a season…I’m sure it’s just way too shaded…

Sabal minor seedling…have 3 of them on the bank…about as energetic as the McCurtain but no-protection wonders in their little microclimate…

My miracle of the season…Butia catarinensis found growing off the deck in total shade…tried sprouting several with the bag method a year or so ago. Seeds molded so I laid them out on the garden bench to dry and a squirrel stole them all and this one managed to sprout…went through a winter and spring of total shade, no heat from the sun and here it is. Proof that not all squirrels are bad. There is one that knows what it’s doing. This was a really exciting find!

Small pond facing south…never freezes as long as the water is moving…kind of the center of the south-facing microclimate…maybe adds a bit of heat in the winter as rocks and water catch the winter sun? Anyway, we zone 7 enthusiasts may be limited, but the enjoyment of getting these odd things to thrive here is very gratifying…and anyone who comes over for the first time is amazed…one day a tree removal guy told me he thought Sasquatch was fake…made me laugh.

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Was weeding off the front edge of my ground level deck and found this:

Really surprised me…can only be one of two kinds…a Sabal minor or a Butia catarinensis…it is most likely the Butia because I tried sprouting some seeds I ordered about a year ago with the bag method and they all molded…I tossed everything off the deck in that area and considered it a lost cause. If it is that, I’d be shocked because the seed made it through winter in dirt that gets no sun at all in winter to warm the soil. The sun, of course, drops on the horizon and this part of the yard, right off the deck gets shaded by the house the entire season. I did work with some Sabal minor seeds about 3 or 4 years ago but manually planted the extra seeds in the dirt to see if anything would come up…never saw any of those germinate. I do have some Sabal minors that I planted after they sprouted in pots and they are fine and in the ground for about two years. This surprise sprout is very thin and the Sabal straps, though older now, are much wider. Anybody with experience here? Could it be that, despite the conditions, the Butia sprouted?? Would be great if it did. It has literally been in total shade since it hit the dirt…the stuff on the deck has been shading it since it sprouted. Guess I should acclimate it slowly to a full sun location. I tried to get as much root as I could…hope digging it up didn’t hurt it…
    • teddytn
      By teddytn
      May be a good topic to touch on, at least in the U.S. temps are on the rise!  New to planting palms or an old head that maybe just planted a palm for the first time in a few years, good to touch on the basics. Any palm Sabal family, windmill family, butia, Jubaea etc etc. summer is when we can make up for some winter damage, setback, or at least slow down. What’s everyone’s watering schedule look like?